Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Setting a numberic variable in BASH Post 302568571 by vgersh99 on Thursday 27th of October 2011 04:42:30 PM
Old 10-27-2011
Code:
read count < /export/home/ramosg/count
echo $count

This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash: setting arrays

Ok, I searched the threads a couple of times but couldn't find anything really relevant. Here's my problem, maybe you can help: I am running version 1.14.7 of the bash shell, on Red Hat Linux. I am trying to set an array like so: bash$> letters=(x y z) spaces are between the letters but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kriton
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting CC variable

I am trying to install GCC-3.1.1 on an SGI Indigo2. I already have MIPSpro 7.2.1 installed. However, when I try to configure GCC-3.1.1, I get the message "cc ERROR: cc -o conftest -g failed, You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler." What is the name of the MIPSpro c++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdbanas
1 Replies

3. Programming

setting CC variable

I am trying to install GCC-3.1.1 on an SGI Indigo2. I already have MIPSpro 7.2.1 installed. However, when I try to configure GCC-3.1.1, I get the message "cc ERROR: cc -o conftest -g failed, You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler." What is the name of the MIPSpro c++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdbanas
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a variable

I want to set a variable to be any number of dashes. Rather than doing the following: MYVAR="------------------" I'd like to be able to set the variable to, say, 80 dashes but don't want to have to count 80 dashes. Is there a way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable setting help please

L=0 cat test.sh | while read line do L='expr $1 + 1' echo $L done echo $l >>> the echo $L at the end produces 0 but i actually want it to produce the number of lines - any idea why this is happening? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: penfold
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting variable

How do you set a varible with information that contains a string and also another variable? For example: subject="Attention: $name / This $type needs your attention" The $xxxx are of course other variables that I instantiated earlier. Is it like Java where you have to use double quotes and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: briskbaby
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting a variable

In my script, I have the following command.... du -sk `ls -ltd sales12|awk '{print $11}'`|awk '{print $1}' it returns the value 383283 I want to modify my script to capture that value into a variable. So, I try doing the following... var1=`du -sk `ls -ltd sales12|awk '{print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tumblez
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with setting a variable!

I am working within a while loop and i am trying to set a variable that will read out each count of the files. the problem is the count variable i have set up gives me a total and not the individual count of each file. in the data area there is 4 abc.dat and 1 def.dat. how can i do this??? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up Bash profile

Hi, I have a SunOS -s 5.9 Generic_118558-39 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210 system. I need to set up my .bash_profile. I need to do the following thins. 1) set up history 2) Set up VI as my editor 3) Display the current directory at the prompt. I have tried using the set command, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaushys
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in setting PATH variable in bash shell

Hi, I am new to shell scripting.I tried adding an entry to the path variable like below export PATH=$PATH:/opt/xxx/bin But am getting an error invalid identifier /opt/xxx/bin Can someone tell me the error above and correct me . Thanks and Regards, Padmini (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
2 Replies
READ(5) 							File Formats Manual							   READ(5)

NAME
read, write - transfer data from and to a file SYNOPSIS
Tread tag[2] fid[2] offset[8] count[2] Rread tag[2] fid[2] count[2] pad[1] data[count] Twrite tag[2] fid[2] offset[8] count[2] pad[1] data[count] Rwrite tag[2] fid[2] count[2] DESCRIPTION
The read request asks for count bytes of data from the file identified by fid, which must be opened for reading, starting offset bytes after the beginning of the file. Count must be less than or equal to MAXFDATA (8192, defined in <fcall.h>). The bytes are returned with the read reply message. The count field in the reply indicates the number of bytes returned. This may be less than the requested amount. If the offset field is greater than the number of bytes in the file, a count of zero will be returned. For directories, read returns an integral number of direc- tory entries exactly as in stat (see stat(5)), one for each member of the directory. The read request message must have offset and count zero modulo DIRLEN. The write request asks that count bytes of data be recorded in the file identified by fid, which must be opened for writing, starting off- set bytes after the beginning of the file. If the file has been opened append only, the data will be placed at the end of the file regard- less of offset. Directories may not be written. The write reply records the number of bytes actually written. It is usually an error if this is not the same as requested. ENTRY POINTS
Read and write messages are generated by the corresponding calls. Because of the MAXFDATA limit, more than one message may be produced by a single call. READ(5)