Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get values from 2 files - Complex "for loop and if" awk problem Post 302566760 by ahamed101 on Friday 21st of October 2011 05:12:12 AM
Old 10-21-2011
Can you please explain once more where file2 fits in here?

--ahamed

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with "set" and "awk"

Hi, i'm programming on /bin/csh and i need to get the number extracted by this: set ppl_kn = $(awk '{ field = $6 } ; END{ print field }' < ppl_LM_kn.ppl ) and the output is: "Illegal variable name." Please anyone can help me what's wrong? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmxps
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"for" and "while" loop problem in "sh"

Hi, I have a problem with "for" and "while" loop in "sh". I have: #!/bin/sh for i in $(seq 1 500000); do echo $i doneand it's working in sh on my ubuntu, but when I try to run this on unix(I have access to my university's unix) it crash: syntax error at line 2: `$' unexpected...... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Physix
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working with CSV files values enclosed with ""

I have a CSV file as shown below "1","SANTHA","KUMAR","SAM,MILLER","DEVELOPER","81,INDIA" "2","KAPIL","DHAMI","ECO SPORT","DEVELOPER","82,INDIA" File is comma delimited.All the field values are enclosed by double quotes. But while using awk or cut, it interprets the comma which is present in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: santhansk
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using "for" loop within "awk"

Hi Team. I am trying to execute a simple for loop within an awk but its giving a different result. Below is the main code: awk '{for(i=1;i<=6;i++) print $i}'The result should be 1 2 3 4 5 6 but its not giving this result. Can someone please help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: Performing "for" loop within text block with two files

I am hoping to pull multiple strings from one file and use them to search within a block of text within another file. File 1PS001,001 HLK PS002,004 MWQ PS004,002 RXM PS004,006 DBX PS004,006 SBR PS005,007 ML PS005,009 DBR PS005,011 MR PS005,012 SBR PS006,003 RXM PS006,003 >SJ PS006,010... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
11 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)