Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Line Break Issue for an XML file Post 302565763 by Corona688 on Tuesday 18th of October 2011 04:42:34 PM
Old 10-18-2011
This should work in most shells:

Code:
$ cat xmlline.sh

#!/bin/sh

while read LINE
do
        if [ "${LINE:0:1}" != "<" ]
        then
                DATA="${DATA}${LINE}"
                continue
        fi

if [ "${LINE:0:2}" = "</" ]      # close-tags
        then
                if [ -z "$DATA" ]
                then
                        printf "\n%s" $LINE
                else
                        printf "%s" "${DATA}${LINE}"
                        DATA=""
                fi
        else
                # Add a tag
                printf "\n%s" $LINE
        fi
done

echo    # Print the last newline

$ ./xmlline.sh < file.xml

<TABLE>
<TABLE-ROW>
<S_NO>1</ S_NO >
<REP_TYPE>TEST1</REP_TYPE>
<PROCESS_OFFICE>P</PROCESS_OFFICE>
<PACKAGE_LEVEL>C</PACKAGE_LEVEL>
</TABLE-ROW>
<TABLE-ROW>
<S_NO>2</ S_NO >
<REP_TYPE>TEST2</REP_TYPE>
<PROCESS_OFFICE>L</PROCESS_OFFICE>
</TABLE-ROW>
<TABLE-ROW>
<S_NO>3</ S_NO >
<REP_TYPE>TEST3</REP_TYPE>
<PROCESS_OFFICE>L</PROCESS_OFFICE>
</TABLE-ROW>
</TABLE>

$

It's a very straightforward parser and doesn't check for improperly nested tags, etc.

It was a very small modification to ditch the $1,$2,... array entirely since it's not doing checking.

Last edited by Corona688; 10-18-2011 at 05:48 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing characters in file with line break

Hi, Apologies if this has been asked before, but I searched and was not able to find an answer. It's probably a simple question to answer for those of you with some experience, though... I have a relatively long string where tokens are separated by the colon (':') character. Let's say the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnemb
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to filter only comments while reading a file including line break characters.

How do I filter only comments and still keep Line breaks at the end of the line!? This is one of the common tasks we all do,, How can we do this in a right way..!? I try to ignore empty lines and commented lines using following approach. test.sh # \040 --> SPACE character octal... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove line break in a csv file

Hi Experts, My requirement is to read the csv file and need to remove if any line break in it. sample data: Row1: "Oslo, Symra kino",Oslo,130-7,Symra 1,130-7-91 Row2:"Tønsberg, Brygga Kino SF",Tønsberg,202-1, Tønsberg SF 4,202-1-4 Expected data: Row1: "Oslo, Symra... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove line break character in a file

Hi, we are trying to process a csv file,in which we are getting data with line breaks.How to remove the line break character in the file? when i try to print the line break charcter using od -c,it gives as '\n' character for both line break and line feed. Please provide your valuable... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add line break for each line in a file

I cannot seem to get this to work.. I have a file which has about 100 lines, and there is no end of line (line break \n) at the end of each line, and this is causing problem when i paste them into an application. the file looks like this this is a test that is a test balblblablblhblbha... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fedora
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I break line in a file when a pattern is matched ?

Hi All, I am stuck for quite sometime now. Below is a line in my file - GS|ED|001075|001081|20110626|1806|100803|X|004010ST|130|100803001 This line occurs only once and it is the second line. I have to break this line into two lines from ST (bold) such that it looks like -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ihussain
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

add a string to a file without line break

I searched and found "echo -n" and "printf" are solution for this, but they are not here: $ echo "hello" >> test $ cat test hello $ echo -n "world" >> test $ cat test hello world $ echo -n " seriously?" >> test $ cat test hello world seriously? This is not successful... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line Break Issue in XML file

Hi Experts, Kindly help me to resole the line break issue mentioned below sample xml file: sample source File: ============== <?!New XML File><NEWRECORDS xmlns... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UnniVKN
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[SOLVED] Grep IP's from xml with name of file

Hi all, actually i have a lot of IP addresses on multiple .xml files on my folder, my tag on xml files are like this, <db-url>jdbc:oracle:thin:@10.100.5.56:1521:DWH01</db-url> i actually can print only the IP addresses awk -F"" '/url/ { print $3 }' *.xml 10.100.5.56 i would like to grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
2 Replies
BZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZEXE(1)

NAME
bzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
bzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The bzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``bzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
bzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. BZEXE(1)