Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Look for strings and use variables Post 302564718 by Benou on Friday 14th of October 2011 12:26:04 PM
Old 10-14-2011
Yes I finally got it!
Thanks so much for your time and your help CarloMSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need assistance with appending strings using sed and variables

HI, Can't seem to find anything on the forums to fix this. I have a file, one line within this will not have a specific string at the end. I have the string, but need to append it to the specific line which has it missing. I need to use a variable for this, $string - I am using double... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandriver
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign colon delimited strings to variables

Man it has been too long since I have had to do this type of stuff... OK I have a file with lines in it looking like this: bob:johnson:email@email.com (most lines) john:F.:doe:email2@email.com (but some are like this) I need to loop through and assign vars to the values: var Fname =... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
29 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace two character strings by two variables with sed command

Hello, I want to writte a script that replace two character strings by two variables with the command sed butmy solution doesn't work. I'm written this: sed "s/TTFactivevent/$TTFav/g && s/switchSLL/$SLL/g" templatefile. I want to replace TTFactivevent by the variable $TTFav, that is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: POPO10
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] take name of directory and files as variables

hi, want to create script that takes name of directory and all files and will copy each file to new directory. then fix errors like files do not exist or no permission to create new directory... these what I have so far... #!/bin/sh dir=~/Documents/Scripts/Copy for i in $(pwd) $(ls)... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: me.
23 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Bash test 2 variables to see if ones greater by n

Experts, I have a bash shell script that generates 2 variables that have the current minute and a minute from a log file. Can someone please show me the best way to test if the minutes stray by 5. So basically if: This is ok: Last Fitting Min ============= 02 Current Minute =============... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Working with date (add minutes using variables)

Dear all, today I'm scratching my head with a simple (I believe) issue. Working with date is quite simple, so if I Need to add some seconds to current time, I'll use: date --date='+30 seconds' +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"But, how to pass the value to add from a variable? I tried the following without... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] Question for using variables outside a while loop

I want to get newvar outside the while any ideas? while read myline; do var=${myline} newvar1=$(let "$var") done echo $newvar1 I found it its ok now Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanantonio7777
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] nawk FS using pipe read variables from file

I have a file data_1.out which contains: 1|abc mail|mail subject|mail body 2|def mail|mail subject|def mail body I am trying to read the variables from data_1.out and use them to print to 2 different files based on the id (first_column) The problem is I am not able to read the file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
8 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

[solved]Perl: Printing line numbers to matched strings and hashes.

Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, USA, Dr. Whalley, COP4342 Unix Tools. This program takes much of my previous assignment but adds the functionality of printing the concatenated line numbers found within the input. Sample input from <> operator: Hello World This is hello a sample... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: D2K
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding variables to repeating strings

Hello, I want to add a letter to the end of a string if it repeats in a column. so if I have a file like this: DOG001 DOG0023 DOG004 DOG001 DOG0023 DOG001 the output should look like this: DOG001-a DOG0023-a DOG004 DOG001-b (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
15 Replies
try(3tcllib)                                       Forward compatibility implementation of [try]                                      try(3tcllib)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
try - try - Trap and process errors and exceptions SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.5 package require try ?1? ::try body ?handler...? ?finally script? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a forward-compatibility implementation of Tcl 8.6's try/finally command (TIP 329), for Tcl 8.5. The code was directly pulled from Tcl 8.6 revision ?, when try/finally was implemented as Tcl procedure instead of in C. ::try body ?handler...? ?finally script? This command executes the script body and, depending on what the outcome of that script is (normal exit, error, or some other excep- tional result), runs a handler script to deal with the case. Once that has all happened, if the finally clause is present, the script it includes will be run and the result of the handler (or the body if no handler matched) is allowed to continue to propa- gate. Note that the finally clause is processed even if an error occurs and irrespective of which, if any, handler is used. The handler clauses are each expressed as several words, and must have one of the following forms: on code variableList script This clause matches if the evaluation of body completed with the exception code code. The code may be expressed as an integer or one of the following literal words: ok, error, return, break, or continue. Those literals correspond to the integers 0 through 4 respectively. trap pattern variableList script This clause matches if the evaluation of body resulted in an error and the prefix of the -errorcode from the interpreter's status dictionary is equal to the pattern. The number of prefix words taken from the -errorcode is equal to the list-length of pattern, and inter-word spaces are normalized in both the -errorcode and pattern before comparison. The variableList word in each handler is always interpreted as a list of variable names. If the first word of the list is present and non-empty, it names a variable into which the result of the evaluation of body (from the main try) will be placed; this will contain the human-readable form of any errors. If the second word of the list is present and non-empty, it names a variable into which the options dictionary of the interpreter at the moment of completion of execution of body will be placed. The script word of each handler is also always interpreted the same: as a Tcl script to evaluate if the clause is matched. If script is a literal - and the handler is not the last one, the script of the following handler is invoked instead (just like with the switch command). Note that handler clauses are matched against in order, and that the first matching one is always selected. At most one han- dler clause will selected. As a consequence, an on error will mask any subsequent trap in the try. Also note that on error is equivalent to trap {}. If an exception (i.e. any non-ok result) occurs during the evaluation of either the handler or the finally clause, the origi- nal exception's status dictionary will be added to the new exception's status dictionary under the -during key. EXAMPLES
Ensure that a file is closed no matter what: set f [open /some/file/name a] try { puts $f "some message" # ... } finally { close $f } Handle different reasons for a file to not be openable for reading: try { set f [open /some/file/name] } trap {POSIX EISDIR} {} { puts "failed to open /some/file/name: it's a directory" } trap {POSIX ENOENT} {} { puts "failed to open /some/file/name: it doesn't exist" } BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category try of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
catch(3tcl), error(3tcl), return(3tcl), throw(3tcl) KEYWORDS
cleanup, error, exception, final, resource management CATEGORY
Utility COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2008 Donal K. Fellows, BSD licensed try 1 try(3tcllib)