Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: egrep command and order
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting egrep command and order Post 302564463 by senayasma on Thursday 13th of October 2011 05:29:43 PM
Old 10-13-2011
Yes, i did but the output file was empty.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep command

I'd like to grep a pattern of a version number as *_number.number.number number should be digit my grep is |egrep '^*++\.+' It works for V_3.2.1 or V _5.3.2 but not with V_43.6.543 !!!!! How can I specify any repetition of digit in the ? thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: annelisa
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with egrep command

Hi All, I am using egrep command to search one pattern. Following is the command i am using egrep -i "ACL*" filename but its also giving me the records which do not contain ACL. any help would be appreciated. Regards, Sam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query regarding egrep command

Hi All, I am having a query regarding the usage of egrep command. i am having two unix environmanets in environment when i am using "egrep -f" it is working fine and other unix environment i am getting a syntax error. Please let me know if i need to set any environmane variables. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriram.Vedula53
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep -w command by reading from file

Dear All, I want to get the rows from file1.txt whose first column is exactly as the numbers (not subset) from file1.txt. so, i have to read by line from file1.txt and search in file2.txt. So the first column of the output must be the same as the file1.txt. I used % egrep -w -f... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senayasma
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with egrep command

cat /tmp/inventory.csv|grep AARP|egrep -v "T11|12.4\(7\)" how do i exclude in addition to above 12.4\(3\) I have tried adding this in i.e -v "T11|12.4\(7\)|12.4\(3\)" but it did not work (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashbash
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with egrep command

Hello folks, Here's how my current egrep command works: egrep "NY|DC|LA|VA|MD" state_data.txt I am planning to use a file to enter all allowable state values like say a new state_names.lookup with the following data: NY DC LA VA MD egrep "`cat state_names.lookup`"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in egrep command in file

Hi Guys, I need hepl on egrep commnad I have one file and i need grep only specific lines.. EX: 2012-04-01 02:15:14 w 2012-04-01 02:15:14 w 2012-04-01 02:15:14 w 2012-10-26 02:15:14 w 2012-04-01 02:15:14 w 2012-10-26 02:15:14 w 2012-10-26 02:15:14 w 2012-10-26 03:18:56 M... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep output order

The order of egrep output seems to be as they occur in the file. How do I get the order as requested? For e.g. file contents: AAA EEE GGG egrep 'GGG|AAA|EEE' file gives AAA EEE GGG instead of GGG AAA EEE (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhavb
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to use fgrep and egrep in a single command

I have a source file which is something like : C/*M/ / ***HMACCT ** MONTH FOR CURRENT MINUS 14 CAL DAY C/*D/ / ***HMACCT ** DAY FOR CURRENT MINUS 14 CAL DAY C/*X/ / ***HMACCT ** CENTURY FOR CURRENT MINUS 14 CAL DAY C/*Y/ / ***HMACCT **... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Egrep command is not working for me

my file is below REREGISTER is something to Failed to create the request Failed to create the request in not easy I know how REREGISTERcommand i run is egrep 'REREGISTER|Failed|to|create|the|request' test1 expected output REREGISTER is something to Failed to create the request i should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
2 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)