Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting changing all characters of a file to capital letters Post 302560214 by majid.merkava on Thursday 29th of September 2011 07:08:30 AM
Old 09-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by radoulov
Code:
tr a-z A-Z < output.txt > _out &&
  mv -- _out output.txt

I Know the solution. I want to know why this occurs? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capital letters GONE!

I have an odd issue. I am trying to copy some files/folders to my linux box via a burned CD which I created on my mac. When I browse the files on the mac (or my windows box), everything looks fine (some of the folder names start with a capital letter, which is needed for everything to work... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: blogg
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing Special Characters Using Sed

Hi. Does anyone know how to use the sed command to change the special border characters on this .per file. I have to edit about 80 .per files. I need a sed script to change the below 3 and A characters. ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ³ Test Islands, Office of Public Health -- WIC... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change a parameter to be in capital letters

Hi, I have a korn shell script with 1 parameter. My script deletes certain files, for example.... sid=$1 rm $ORC/dbs/orapwd${sid} #orapwddb1 rm $ORC/dbs/lk${sid} #lkDB1 In the first file, the $sid must be in small letters and in the second file, the $sid must be in capital... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: n8575
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change small letters to capital

hi guys, I know this might be very simple for u but not for me. I simply want to print the active users, changeing the first letter in their names to capital. i guess sed it's useful but don't know how to find the correspondign capital letter and don't know how to change just the first... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: atticus
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search for capital letters

Hi, I just want to search a file for any words containng a capital letter and then display a list of just these words! I have been trying grep but to no has not helped.(im using the bash shell) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djdaniel3
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters then read the file without changing it

Hi All At the moment the following code works but ideally i do not want to have to change the original $1 tr "\r" "\n" < "$1" > "$1.fix" printf "\n" >> "$1.fix" mv "$1.fix" "$1" FILE=$1 coffee_out="splitmovie" coffee_fill="-splitAt" coffee_end="-self-contained -o output.mov $2"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babajuma
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing 1st 3 characters of the file name!?

Hello Freinds, I have a file with name ABC123456. and I need to change this to X123456. Please tell me how can I do this? Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put parentheses around all capital letters using SED

Hello everyone I tell you that I'm trying to do a bash program that can put parentheses around each capital letter of each line using SED. I tell you probe with: sed -e '1,$s/A/(A)/g' "$file" but only add parentheses in A. then tested with: sed 'y/AB/(A)(B)/' "$archivo" but it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adiegorpc
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Escape Sequence for Capital Letters Input at Shell Not Working

Hello, I am running Solaris 8. When issuing the command "stty lcase" all text which is output to the terminal are capitalized. Letters that are supposed to be capitals are preceded by a backslash during output. All text which is input is converted to lower case. This is the expected behaviour... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstor
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Organizing text file by Capital Names (capital word ' ' capital word)

Hi I have a file passwd_exmpl that contains: root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/sbin/nologin daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/sbin/nologin adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm:/sbin/nologin lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/sbin/nologin sync:x:5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eladage
5 Replies
KEYBOARD(6)							   Games Manual 						       KEYBOARD(6)

NAME
keyboard - how to type characters DESCRIPTION
Keyboards are idiosyncratic. It should be obvious how to type ordinary ASCII characters, backspace, tab, escape, and newline. In Plan 9, the key labeled Return or Enter generates a newline (0x0A); if there is a key labeled Line Feed, it generates a carriage return (0x0D); Plan 9 eschews CRLFs. All control characters are typed in the usual way; in particular, control-J is a line feed and control-M a carriage return. On the PC and some other machines, the key labeled Caps Lock acts as an additional control key. The delete character (0x7F) may be generated by a different key, one near the extreme upper right of the keyboard. On the Next it is the key labeled (not the asterisk above the 8). On the SLC and Sparcstation 2, delete is labeled Num Lock (the key above Backspace labeled Delete functions as an additional backspace key). On the other keyboards, the key labeled Del or Delete generates the delete character. The view character (0x80), used by 81/2(1) and sam(1), causes windows to scroll forward. It is generally somewhere near the lower right of the main key area. The scroll character is generated by the VIEW key on the Gnot, the Alt Graph key on the SLC, and any of the three arrow keys <-, v, and -> on the other terminals. Characters in Plan 9 are runes (see utf(6)). Any 16-bit rune can be typed using a compose key followed by several other keys. The compose key is also generally near the lower right of the main key area: the NUM PAD key on the Gnot, the Alternate key on the Next, the Compose key on the SLC, the Option key on the Magnum, and either Alt key on the PC. After typing the compose key, type a capital and exactly four hexadecimal characters (digits and to to type a single rune with the value represented by the typed number. There are shorthands for many characters, comprising the compose key followed by a two- or three-character sequence. There are several rules guiding the design of the sequences, as illustrated by the following examples. The full list is too long to repeat here, but is contained in the file in a format suitable for grep(1) or look(1). A repeated symbol gives a variant of that symbol, e.g., ?? yields c. ASCII digraphs for mathematical operators give the corresponding operator, e.g., <= yields <=. Two letters give the corresponding ligature, e.g., AE yields AE. Mathematical and other symbols are given by abbreviations for their names, e.g., pg yields 9|. Chess pieces are given by a w or b followed by a letter for the piece (k for king, q for queen, r for rook, n for knight, b for bishop, or p for pawn), e.g., wk for a white king. Greek letters are given by an asterisk followed by a corresponding latin letter, e.g., *d yields d. Cyrillic letters are given by an at sign followed by a corresponding latin letter or letters, e.g., @ya yields . Script letters are given by a dollar sign followed by the corresponding regular letter, e.g., $F yields . A digraph of a symbol followed by a letter gives the letter with an accent that looks like the symbol, e.g., ,c yields c. Two digits give the fraction with that numerator and denominator, e.g., 12 yields 1/2. The letter s followed by a character gives that character as a superscript, e.g., s1 yields 1. Sometimes a pair of characters give a symbol related to the superimposition of the characters, e.g., cO yields (C). A mnemonic letter followed by $ gives a currency symbol, e.g., l$ yields L. Note the difference between B (ss) and u (micron) and the Greek B and u. FILES
/lib/keyboard sorted table of characters and keyboard sequences SEE ALSO
intro(1), ascii(1), tcs(1), 81/2(1), sam(1), cons(3), utf(6) KEYBOARD(6)