Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Log Location
Operating Systems AIX Log Location Post 302560169 by funksen on Thursday 29th of September 2011 04:43:02 AM
Old 09-29-2011
unless you don't clear the errpt, a shutdown due to power problems is logged there

configured syslog also logs this event
see /etc/syslog.conf if it's configured

and if the server has a hmc connection, you'll also see this in the hmc event log

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Open view log location

Can someone tell me where the path to store the error message in HP OpenView? thk a lot (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zp523444
0 Replies

2. Gentoo

Location log after process crontab

Hi... I want to know directori location and file name (log) after crontab has been running.. (linux disto gentoo and sun solaris) Because for long time maybe contain this log file becomes large. Thanks for your help. regards, srilinux (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilinux
4 Replies

3. AIX

AIX ftp log location

Hi, Where can I find FTP log location for AIX 4? Thanks, Itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Location of log file

This below one find the table name in the log.I want location of log file.Please any help > find / -type f -name "*.log" -exec grep -i 'sct' {} 2>/dev/null \; . . importing table "sct" . . exporting table sct . . importing table "sct" . . exporting table sct ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan705
1 Replies

5. AIX

Location of smit.log

What is the location of smit.log (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Copy files from one location to another location

Create a script that copies files from one specified directory to another specified directory, in the order they were created in the original directory between specified times. Copy the files at a specified interval. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allways4u21
2 Replies

7. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

HPVM log file location and a sample

1. Can somebody tell me the log file location of HPVM where all the events of guest OS are reported ? 2. And if possible a log file with important events in it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thegeek
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File created in a different location instead of desired location on using crontab

Hi, I am logging to a linux server through a user "user1" in /home directory. There is a script in a directory in 'root' for which all permissions are available including the directory. This script when executed creates a file in the directory. When the script is added to crontab, on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: archana.n
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

avahi , change the log location

avahi error message goes to /var/log/messages , how can put avahi to log the error in a file /var/log/avahi-error instead of /var/log/messages (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a existing file location and directory location in Solaris box?

Hi This is my third past and very impressed with previous post replies Hoping the same for below query How to find a existing file location and directory location in solaris box (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buzzme
1 Replies
REBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot, halt, fastboot, fasthalt -- stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
halt [-lnpq] [-k kernel] reboot [-dlnpq] [-k kernel] fasthalt [-lnpq] [-k kernel] fastboot [-dlnpq] [-k kernel] DESCRIPTION
The halt and reboot utilities flush the file system cache to disk, send all running processes a SIGTERM (and subsequently a SIGKILL) and, respectively, halt or restart the system. The action is logged, including entering a shutdown record into the user accounting database. The options are as follows: -d The system is requested to create a crash dump. This option is supported only when rebooting, and it has no effect unless a dump device has previously been specified with dumpon(8). -k kernel Boot the specified kernel on the next system boot. If the kernel boots successfully, the default kernel will be booted on successive boots, this is a one-shot option. If the boot fails, the system will continue attempting to boot kernel until the boot process is interrupted and a valid kernel booted. This may change in the future. -l The halt or reboot is not logged to the system log. This option is intended for applications such as shutdown(8), that call reboot or halt and log this themselves. -n The file system cache is not flushed. This option should probably not be used. -p The system will turn off the power if it can. If the power down action fails, the system will halt or reboot normally, depending on whether halt or reboot was called. -q The system is halted or restarted quickly and ungracefully, and only the flushing of the file system cache is performed (if the -n option is not specified). This option should probably not be used. The fasthalt and fastboot utilities are nothing more than aliases for the halt and reboot utilities. Normally, the shutdown(8) utility is used when the system needs to be halted or restarted, giving users advance warning of their impending doom and cleanly terminating specific programs. SEE ALSO
getutxent(3), boot(8), dumpon(8), nextboot(8), savecore(8), shutdown(8), sync(8) HISTORY
A reboot utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
October 11, 2010 BSD