Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux Page Sharing
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Linux Page Sharing Post 302556515 by kumaran_5555 on Monday 19th of September 2011 02:47:33 AM
Old 09-19-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
No merging is necessary to share program text -- program text is 100% shared already, because it's loaded with memory mapping.

It's easy to share file-backed memory maps because they're not anonymous. No contents need to be checked, just locations. Map the same location, get the same pages.
Thanks for all your input. Can anyone explain me little about how program text sharing happens in Linux while loading the program.

Code:
42416000    1568     572       0 r-x--  libc-2.13.90.so
4259e000       8       8       4 r----  libc-2.13.90.so
425a0000       4       4       4 rw---  libc-2.13.90.so

This is what I found in pmap of bash process, suppose if another bash process is started will these areas will be shared, how they are shared while new bash is created. (is there any info that kernel keeps to know that these files are loaded at these parts)

Please show me some light in this area.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help to set up internet sharing in linux.

Ok, I'm kind of in between newbie and experienced somewhere. I'm an advanced computer user but only have a little experience with linux and a lot of problems with it. Currently I'm using Linux-Mandrake 8.0 (I know, I know, but let's not go into the many reasons why it's not even close to the best... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nazo
2 Replies

2. Linux

File Sharing among NTFS Partition & RH Linux 9 Partitions

Well Guys, will anybody solve my problem? I have installed Win XP and RH Linux 9 (Dual Boot) on an Intel x86 Machine. Everything is going fine except that I cannot share files among the two operating systems. For example, if I download a PDF file from internet and save it in my Win XP partition... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

sharing of IP address for load sharing avoiding virtual server & redirection machine

I have RedHat 9.0 installed on three of my servers (PIII - 233MHz) and want that they share a common IP address so that any request made reaches each of the servers. Can anyone suggest how should I setup my LAN. I'm new to networking in Linux so please elaborate and would be thankful for a timely... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

Printer Sharing on a Mixed(Windows/Linux) Home Network

Sometimes you get the tiger...but sometimes he get you and this latest home network “project” of mine has gnawed on me pretty badly. Perhaps you can offer some technical help. It will be heartily appreciated. I have a small home network initially comprising two computers running Windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Annatar
1 Replies

5. Linux

Sharing Printer Linux + XP (cups/samba)

I keep getting a access denied error when I install from the XP wizard my Linux shared printer. CUPS CONFIGURATION FILE <Location /admin> # # You definitely will want to limit access to the administration functions. # The default configuration requires a local connection from a user who #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alux
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create Linux manual page

Hi, Anyone can tell me how do i create Linux manual page. I copied ls manual page from /usr/share/man/man1/ls.1.gz and unziped ls.1.gz got one file ls.1 If i apply man ls.1 it is displaying man page of ls. Similarly i want to create myExe.1 file , man myExe.1 should display... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokd001
2 Replies

7. Linux

Find Page size in linux

Hi, How do i find Linux kernel page size using command ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forumguest
1 Replies

8. AIX

problem on sharing cdrom drive in AIX with linux

HI i have setuped a nfs between a AIX system and a linux os ,keeping AIX as sever i need to share the CDrom in AIX server with the linux operating system. ie. linux os machine does't have a cdrom . will i be able be share ..i tried a lot but it gives a message which resembles NFS access... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguraja
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is a page from Linux point of view ?

Versions : RHEL 6.xx /OL 6.xx I am trying to understand what a page is in Linux? The concept should be same in Unix as well, I guess The below doc says "A page is a block of virtual memory. A typical block size on Linux operating system is 4KB " ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Experience sharing and questions for NIS migration from Solaris 8 to Linux

I'd like to share some experiences and what I found for NIS migration from Solaris 8 NIS to Linux platform. I'm not an expert for both platforms, it's just when I tested both systems and found something really tricky. That might takes a lot of time for you to find the root cause. So, I think I can... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestard
11 Replies
SET_TID_ADDRESS(2)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						SET_TID_ADDRESS(2)

NAME
set_tid_address - set pointer to thread ID SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/unistd.h> long set_tid_address(int *tidptr); DESCRIPTION
The kernel keeps for each process two values called set_child_tid and clear_child_tid that are NULL by default. set_child_tid If a process is started using clone(2) with the CLONE_CHILD_SETTID flag, set_child_tid is set to child_tidptr, the fifth argument of that system call. When set_child_tid is set, the very first thing the new process does is writing its PID at this address. clear_child_tid If a process is started using clone(2) with the CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID flag, clear_child_tid is set to child_tidptr, the fifth argument of that system call. The system call set_tid_address() sets the clear_child_tid value for the calling process to tidptr. When clear_child_tid is set, and the process exits, and the process was sharing memory with other processes or threads, then 0 is written at this address, and a futex(child_tidptr, FUTEX_WAKE, 1, NULL, NULL, 0); call is done. (That is, wake a single process waiting on this futex.) Errors are ignored. RETURN VALUE
set_tid_address() always returns the PID of the calling process. ERRORS
set_tid_address() always succeeds. VERSIONS
This call is present since Linux 2.5.48. Details as given here are valid since Linux 2.5.49. CONFORMING TO
This system call is Linux-specific. SEE ALSO
clone(2), futex(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2004-09-10 SET_TID_ADDRESS(2)