Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers xterm -e closes when script is done Post 302554612 by Corona688 on Monday 12th of September 2011 12:59:06 PM
Old 09-12-2011
Hmm. xterm -e 'scriptname ; exec /bin/sh' ?

If -e doesn't support shell statements, you can run a shell to run the shell Smilie

xterm -e /bin/sh -c "scriptname ; exec /bin/sh"

---------- Post updated at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:53 AM ----------

Or, if you just wanted it to wait forever instead of opening a shell:

xterm -e /bin/sh -c "scriptname ; while true ; do sleep 100 ; done"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

multiuser chat server closes when one client closes. code included

I have been trying to write a very basic chat program but at the moment I am having problems getting it to be multiuser as it closes all connections when one client shutsdown. I have also been having problems trying to get the program to display a list of usernames to the clients. I have tried... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dooker
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

export script commands with xterm

I am attempting to write a shell script that runs a program which generates data and then runs another program to plot the data. The problem is that I need the plotting to take place in a different terminal window that stays open after the plotting has finished. I have experimented 'xterm -e '... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chris2051
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH closes connection when using arrow keys

Hi, I'm having a problem with my ssh link to various Sun servers running Solaris 9 and 10 from an Windows XP box running Cygwin/X. I am using ssh to connect to a number of different Sun servers. My problem is that when editing a remote shell command line with the arrow direction keys the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stv_t
0 Replies

4. SuSE

NoMachine NX window closes after establishing connection

Hi, I am trying to use nomachine nx server and client. But somehow it doen't work. What happens is the following: 1.- Client starts up 2.- Client authenticates with Server 3.- The NoMachine window appears for 2-4 seconds 4.- The NoMachine window exists Somehow a "closeEvent" is sent.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackicecube
3 Replies

5. Solaris

sftp connection closes if idle for around 10minutes

does sftp connection closes by default if it stays idle for a prolonged time ? i have checked sshd_config files , there is no time out value set. but still the connection closes after certain period of time. Please help. verbose mode output : sftp> debug1: channel 0: free:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
10 Replies

6. Solaris

Login/xterm and run script

Hi - I need to have a script run automatically when I login to my solaris 10 system (running CDE). I stuck this in my .cshrc file: xterm -e /bin/sh -c "/.script-name; exec /bin/sh" When I login, a window comes up and runs the iteractive script-name, and then when the script is done, my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyroman
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash menu opens and closes

Ever since I added these two code blocks to my bash menu it just opens and closes right away. I use a batch file that worked fine until these codes were added and I am not sure what is wrong. Basically, what I am trying to do in the additional section is if the answer is "Y" then it goes back... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

New bash menu printing errors but closes too quickly

I am beginning to write a new version of the bash menu below. The previous version worked great and now when I start the updated bash it opens and a some lines print in the terminal and it closes quickly. I know there are errors but how can I see them or fix them, I tried set -x with the same... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while running xterm in telnet script

Error: Type xterm -help for a full description. xterm: Explicit shell already was /root/Desktop/telnet.sh xterm: bad command line option "Done!" usage: xterm (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk151993
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet connection closes before i execute GET command

I tried the below steps for telnet command from a remote server: 1. telnet myservice.com 443 2. GET / HTTP/1.0 3. Press enter key twice Please see the output below: bash-3.2$ hostname remoteserver1 bash-3.2$ telnet myservice.com 443 Trying 191.172.172.133... Connected to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies
resize(1X)																resize(1X)

NAME
resize - set TERMCAP and terminal settings to current xterm window size SYNOPSIS
resize [-u] [-c] [-s[row col]] OPTIONS
The following options may be used with resize: This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's cur- rent shell is not /bin/sh. This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell is not /bin/csh. This option indicates that Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the special xterm escape code. If rows and col- umns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change. DESCRIPTION
The resize command prints a shell command for setting the TERM and TERMCAP environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm win- dow from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command line (usually done with a shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the following alias could be defined in the user's % alias rs 'set noglob; eval `resize`' After resizing the window, the user would type: % rs Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that do not have command functions will need to send the output to a tem- porary file and the read it back in with the "." command: $ resize > /tmp/out $ . /tmp/out FILES
for the base termcap entry to modify. user's alias for the command. BUGS
The -u or -c must appear to the left of -s if both are specified. SEE ALSO
csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1X) AUTHORS
Mark Vandevoorde (MIT-Athena), Edward Moy (Berkeley) Copyright (c) 1984, 1985 by X Consortium See X(1X) for a complete copyright notice. resize(1X)