Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [SOLVED] for loop to process files Post 302552818 by graysky on Monday 5th of September 2011 05:52:54 PM
Old 09-05-2011
MySQL [SOLVED] for loop to process files

I need to process a dirtree containing ms office files such that each file is stored as a variable and also, just the file file stem. Why? They will be using as input and output parameters for another script. For example /path/to/second_script -i filename.docx -o filename

Here's what I have so far. The problem is that the output of the find command is treated as a single word.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
for i in "$(find . -type f \( -iname "*.doc" -o -iname "*.docx" \))" ; do
  out="${i%.*}"
  echo "$i"
  echo "$out"
# /bin/process -i "$i" -o "$out"
done

And here is the output:

Code:
./getit.docx
./get it.doc
./getit.doc
./getit.docx
./get it.doc
./getit

What's the trick to make this work?

EDIT: here is the working code; maybe other newbs will learn something Smilie

Code:
while IFS= read -r -d '' file
do
  echo "$file" "${file%.*}"
done< <(find -regex '.*\.\(ppt\|pptx\|xls\|xlsx\|doc\|docx\)' -print0)

Last edited by radoulov; 09-06-2011 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: Marked as solved.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

loop through the directory for files and sort by date and process the first file

hello i have a requirement where i have a direcotry in which i get files in the format STOCKS.20080114.dat STOCKS.20080115.dat STOCKS.20080117.dat STOCKS.20080118.dat i need to loop through the directory and sort by create date descending order and i need to process the first file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] merging two files and writing to another file- solved

i have two files as file1: 1 2 3 file2: a b c and the output should be: file3: 1~a 2~b 3~c (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Endless while loop when compare files

Hi All, I've written a script to read 2 files and compare the contents using while loop but somehow when $line is not found in test2, the script will continue looping. Below is my code, pls advise what could went wrong TIA Nick for line in test1.txt | while read line do grep -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1971
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to process 2 files with same name in different path

Hello forum members, I hope you can help me with this I don't know hot to reach. I have a list of files in "/home/MyPath1/" and in "/home/MyPath2/". The files have the same name in both folders. (but different content, the content doesn't matter here I think) /home/MyPath1/ filename1.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to process multiple input files by a shell script

I have multiple input files that I want to manipulate using a shell script. The files are called 250.1 through 250.1000 but I only want the script to manipulate 250.300 through 250.1000. Before I was using the following script to manipulate the text files: for i in 250.*; do || awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Writing a loop to changing the names of files in a directory

Hi, I would like to write a loop to change the names of files in a directory. The files are called data1.txt through data1000.txt. I'd like to change their names to a1.txt through a1000.txt. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] Process ssh command in while loop

I have a script that reads a file containing a list of server names. It's suppose to loop through the list of names and execute a command on the remote server using ssh. It processes the ssh command for the first server in the list and then exits. Here's the code: #!/bin/bash ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem with if-then-else loop

Hi, i have a problem with this script: for i in $(cat list_ip_switch) do if if ; then echo "found ip" else echo "not found ip" fi done cat list_ip_switch 10.155.249.171 10.155.249.172 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elilmal
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] For loop help

Hello, This is really breaking my head. I request you help to solve this problem. I have a list of files at the source directory (/tmp) as below, NewTransfer_20131202_APAC.dat NewTransferFile_20131202_APAC.dat NewTransfer_20131203_APAC.dat NewTransferFile_20131203_APAC.dat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravicha
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process files in loop which have spaces in name

I have a folder with files and I have to process them in a loop. However the filenames have space characters, so the list get split. $ touch "File Number_1" $ touch "File Number_2" $ ls "/tmp/File Number"_* /tmp/File Number_1 /tmp/File Number_2 I tried following (sorry for using the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wernfried
3 Replies
funnel(1)							     logtools								 funnel(1)

NAME
funnel - split one pipe stream to one or more files or programs SYNOPSIS
funnel [|] [>[>]file] [|process] DESCRIPTION
The funnel program will read data from standard input and write it to several output streams. The | symbol means to copy standard input to standard output. The > symbol means that a file name immediately follows with no separating spaces, the file will be truncated if it exists or created if it doesn't. The >> means that the file is to be appended to if it exists. A | symbol followed immediately by text indicates a command that is to be run by system() and will have all input piped to it. EXIT STATUS
0 No errors 1 Error opening input Other errors are 100 + number of commands or files that fail AUTHOR
This program, its manual page, and the Debian package were written by Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>. FEATURES
Uses popen (3) for output so that shell expansion gets performed. If you want such shell expansion then you must ensure that you quote the parameters correctly so that they get expanded by popen (3) not the shell that calls funnel. SEE ALSO
popen(3) Russell Coker <;russell@coker.com.au> 0.06 funnel(1)