Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print selected lines from file in order Post 302544711 by DGPickett on Thursday 4th of August 2011 05:28:32 PM
Old 08-04-2011
Code:
grep -E 'x|y'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

print selected lines

Hi everybody: I try to print in new file selected lines from another file wich depends on the first column. I have done a script like this: lines=( "1" "2" "3" "4" "5" "6" "7" "8" "9" "10" "11" "21" "31" "41" "51" "55" "57" "58" ) ${lines} for lines in ${lines} do awk -v ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare selected columns from a file and print difference

I have learned file comparison from my previous post here. Then, it is comparing the whole line. Now, i have a new problem. I have two files with 3 columns separated with a "|". What i want to do is to compare the second and third column of file 1, and the second and third column of file 2. And... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reversing order of lines in a file

how can i reverse the line order in text files? (but total number of the lines is not constant ) for example i have a file like this: line1 line2 line3 . . lineN i wantto make it like this: lineN . . . line3 (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
26 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Order file by lines

My script(3 arguments $1 = folder,$2 extension,$3 string) should do the following things: -Enter in the folder of $1(if exists). -Put ls *.$2 > temp.txt ( I use a temp file to store the result of ls command and if $2 = txt in this file I'll have all the .txt files of the folder) -Now I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Max89
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to print selected fields of selected lines by AWK

I am trying to print 1st, 2nd, 13th and 14th fields of a file of line numbers from 29 to 10029. I dont know how to put this in one code. Currently I am removing the selected lines by awk 'NR==29,NR==10029' File1 > File2 and then doing awk '{print $1, $2, $13, $14}' File2 > File3 Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananyob
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading selected lines from a param file

Hi all, I have a question for the Gurus. I apologize if this has bee shared before but I couldn't find the link. I am trying to read parameters from an external parameter file. What I m trying to achieve is read selected lines from an external parameter file into the script. for eg my param... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick1947
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selected lines from a file based on another file

Hello, I am using Awk in Ubuntu 12.04 First file: I have a file like this: SNP1 1 198.2 SNP2 1 124.5 SNP3 1 124.4 . . . Second file: I have another file like this: SNP2 SNP5 SNP10 . . . I want to create a third file like my first file but keeping ONLY the SNPs that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting selected lines in a file

Hi Guys , I have two files say a1 and a2 having following contents a1 dag wfd a2 dag wfd chire hcm I want to delete only the lines in a2 which are in a1 and final output of a2 should be a2 chire hcm (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_1990
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare file1 and file2, print matching lines in same order as file1

I want to print only the lines in file2 that match file1, in the same order as they appear in file 1 file1 file2 desired output: I'm getting the lines to match awk 'FNR==NR {a++}; FNR!=NR && a' file1 file2 but they are in sorted order, which is not what I want: Can anyone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find key pattern and print selected lines for each record

Hi, I need help on a complicated file that I am working on. I wanted to extract important info from a very huge file. It is space delimited file. I have hundred thousands of records in this file. An example content of the inputfile as below:- ## ID Ser402 Old; 23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
2 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for lines containing a given pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [-elnsv] pattern [file] ... OPTIONS
-e -e pattern is the same as pattern -c Print a count of lines matched -i Ignore case -l Print file names, no lines -n Print line numbers -s Status only, no printed output -v Select lines that do not match EXAMPLES
grep mouse file # Find lines in file containing mouse grep [0-9] file # Print lines containing a digit DESCRIPTION
Grep searches one or more files (by default, stdin) and selects out all the lines that match the pattern. All the regular expressions accepted by ed and mined are allowed. In addition, + can be used instead of * to mean 1 or more occurrences, ? can be used to mean 0 or 1 occurrences, and | can be used between two regular expressions to mean either one of them. Parentheses can be used for grouping. If a match is found, exit status 0 is returned. If no match is found, exit status 1 is returned. If an error is detected, exit status 2 is returned. SEE ALSO
cgrep(1), fgrep(1), sed(1), awk(9). GREP(1)