Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users cat / sed process weird characters Post 302544455 by alister on Wednesday 3rd of August 2011 09:30:13 PM
Old 08-03-2011
My first guess would be that some locale-aware code in the underlying C library that tr is using does not approve of certain byte sequences. You could try running tr in the C/POSIX locale: LC_ALL=C tr ...

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get rid of all the weird characters and color on bash shell

Does anyone of you know how to turn off color and weird characters on bash shell when using the command "script"? Everytime users on my server used that command to record their script, they either couldn't print it because lp kept giving the "unknown format character" messages or the print paper... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Micz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird Ascii characters in file names

Hi. I have files in my OS that has weird file names with not-conventional ascii characters. I would like to run them but I can't refer them. I know the ascii # of the problematic characters. I can't change their name since it belongs to a 3rd party program... but I want to run it. is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yamsin789
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

weird issue about h, g, x in SED

I have a file called merge2.t: Hi Hello how are you. </Endtag> <New> I am fine.</New> This is a test. freelong how Here is the SED: sed -n ' /<\/Endtag>/ !{ H } /<\/Endtag>/ { x p } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: freelong
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

long process listing with /usr/ucb/ps weird behaves

hello I am trying to run the following script to get the my-progam pid: #!/bin/ksh tt=`/usr/ucb/ps| grep -i $1| grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` echo $tt When I run the script I get the more PIDs $./test.sh my-program 12033 15033 15034 Actually my-program's PID is 12033....I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreeniatbp
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file_list | [script to print last some characters]

Hello guys, I have a list of files. For example: /disk1/mediator_home/tmp/ntest/TSFILE00.8256.GGG1-U.0908250009.unp.20090824P8.is /disk1/mediator_home/tmp/ntest/TSFILE00.8257.GGG1-U.0908250013.unp.20090825P1.is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extra control characters being added when I create a file using cat command

Hi, I am using Cygwin.I created a new file and type into it using cat > newfile. When I open this using vi editor, it contains loads of extra control characters. Whats happening? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erora
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

share a shell script which can replace weird characters in directory or file name

I just finish the shell script . This shell can replace weird characters (such as #$%^@!'"...) in file or directory name by "_" I spent long time on replacing apostrophe in file/directory name added: 2012-03-14 the 124th line (/usr/bin/perl -i -e "s#\'#\\'#g" /tmp/rpdir_level$i.tmp) is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: begonia
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird ^M characters is disturbing the paste command

Dear all, I have the files: xaa xab xac and I try to paste them using $paste -d, xaa xab xac I see: output 3e-130 ,6e-78 ,5e-74 6e-124 ,0,007 ,0,026 2e-119 When I type: $ paste -d, xaa xab xac |less I see: output 3e-130^M,6e-78^M,5e-74 6e-124^M,0,007^M,0,026 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control characters -weird problem

I am using Korn shell on Linux 2.6x platform , and I am suing the following code to capture the lines which contain CONTROL CHARACTERS in my file : awk '/]/ {print NR}' EROLLMENT_INPUT.txt The problem is that this code shows the file has control characters when the file is in folder A ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find out the weird blank characters?

I have a text file downloaded from the web, I want to count the unique words used in the file, and a person's speaking length during conversation by counting the words between the opening and closing quotation marks which differ from the standard ASCII code. Also I found out the file contains some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
2 Replies
LOCALE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 LOCALE(1)

NAME
locale -- display locale settings SYNOPSIS
locale [-a|m] locale [-ck] name [...] DESCRIPTION
locale displays information about the current locale, or a list of all available locales. When locale is run with no arguments, it will display the current source of each locale category. When locale is given the name of a category, it acts as if it had been given each keyword in that category. For each keyword it is given, the current value is displayed. OPTIONS
-a Lists all public locales. -c name ... Lists the category name before each keyword, unless it is the same category as the previously displayed keyword. -k name ... Displays the name of each keyword prior to its value. -m Lists all available public charmaps. Darwin locales do not support charmaps, so list all CODESETs instead. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: name is the name of a keyword or category to display. A list of all keywords and categories can be shown with the following command: locale -ck LC_ALL ENVIRONMENT
LANG Used as a substitute for any unset LC_* variable. If LANG is unset, it will act as if set to "C". If any of LANG or LC_* are set to invalid values, locale acts as if they are all unset. LC_ALL Will override the setting of all other LC_* variables. LC_COLLATE Sets the locale for the LC_COLLATE category. LC_CTYPE Sets the locale for the LC_CTYPE category. LC_MESSAGES Sets the locale for the LC_MESSAGES category. LC_MONETARY Sets the locale for the LC_MONETARY category. LC_NUMERIC Sets the locale for the LC_NUMERIC category. LC_TIME Sets the locale for the LC_TIME category. SEE ALSO
localedef(1), localeconv(3), nl_langinfo(3), setlocale(3) STANDARDS
The locale utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
locale appeared in Mac OS X 10.4 Darwin August 27, 2004 Darwin