Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to run multiple piped commands in a find -exec statement? Post 302543896 by a20786 on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 10:59:06 AM
Old 08-02-2011
Find with Pipe

Try this

find . -type d -name somedirname -exec ksh -c 'echo -n $1" ";ls -ltr $1|wc -l' {} {} \;

This will serach for all directories from current direcotry and will give count of number (+1) of files/dirs present in that directory.

For your original question:
find . -type f -name "*.dat" -exec ksh -c 'echo -n $1" ";grep XXXX $1|wc -l ' {} {} \;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to run multiple commands from a file.

I need a command, which could run mutliple commands from a file. Let's say, I have mv fileA1 fileB1 mv fileA2 fileB2 ..... mv fileA20 fileB20 I put these commands in a file, then I need a command to run the file as a whole so that I don't need to type 20 times... Anyone tell me how to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixinsjtu
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute piped command using exec or system

Hi All, I want to execute a piped command like 'ls /opt | grep xml' using array as parameters list. How can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharadiaam
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run two commands from a exec call in a c program

Hi, I have to run two commands one after another from a c program. How can i do this with exec system calls. i tried giving them as argument to execv but it is not working.please help thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command to use multiple -exec options

Hello All, Is there a way to make exec do a couple of operations on a single input from find? For example, find . -type d -exec ls -l "{}" ";" I would like to give the result of each "ls -l" in the above to a wc. Is that possible? I want to ls -l | wc -l inside exec. How do I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find -exec with 2 commands doesn't work (error incomplete staement)

Hi Gurues, I need to modify an existing script that uses find to search a folder, and then move its contents to a folder. What I need to do is run gzip on each file after it's moved. So, I ran this little test: Put a ls.tar file on my $HOME, mkdir tmp, and then: virtuo@tnpmprd01: find .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: llagos
3 Replies

6. SuSE

Allow multiple users to run several root commands

I am using SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 (i586) and I had earlier ammended my sudoers file to allow users to become root user with "sudo su - " command Now I am trying to add multiple users to the sudoers file to run several commands such as restarting the server, restarting the nagios... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run multiple commands

Hi All, Is it possible to run second/multiple commands at a time in script before the completion/return of first command? Pls reply. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cns1710
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using find -exec with multiple commands :(-

Hi all, Am wanting to do a ls -l of the files and do a cat of it at the same time, ideally, I am hoping that the following work but obvisouly it is not working to what I am wanting it to ... hu hu hu :wall: find . -name "BACKUP_TIMESTAMP.log" -exec "ls -l basename {} ; cat {}" \; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run multiple commands in ssh

Hi All, I have the below requirement. I want to copy the local file to remote after that i need to run the local script on a remote machine.When i use two ssh commnds i can achieve this. But i want to achieve this using one ssh command. Below command to copy the local file to remote ssh -q... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run 2 exec commands

I have to create two instances of jBoss 5.1.0 GA. In order to do that I have to execute the following in start-jboss.sh: find . -exec /opt/novell/idm/jboss/bin/run.sh -Djboss.service.binding.set=ports-01 -c IDMProv -b 0.0.0.0 \; -exec /opt/novell/idm/jboss/bin/run.sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joydeep Ghosh
4 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)