Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers copying same file multiple times with different names Post 302543306 by yazu on Saturday 30th of July 2011 10:14:34 PM
Old 07-30-2011
GNU cp has a -b|--backup option (see info coreutils - backup options). I believe it works exactly as you need.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying file names returned from a grep command into another directory

When I do the following : grep -l "string" *, I get a list of file names returned. Is there a way to copy the files returned from the list into another directory ?. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kartheg
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying multiple folders to local machine (don't know folder names)

Hi. I'm trying to copy multiple folders from the remote machine to the local machine. I wrote a batch file to run an ftp window. The problem I am having is that the only command to copy files is mget *, and this copies only files, not folders. For example, ftp ts555 cd ts555/test ' test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leenyburger
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files multiple times increasing sequentially

I am looking for the easiest way to copy a set of files 1000 times and increment sequentially. I want to copy these 2 files: Scenario.1.1.ud Scenario.1.2.ud So that it creates the following: Scenario.2.1.ud Scenario.2.2.ud Scenario.3.1.ud Scenario.3.2.ud .. .. Scenario.1000.1.ud... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPOrlando
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

call a passwd file to a script multiple times

Hello everybody, I have a requirement in my script.. When i'am executing a script, it'll ask a passwd of some service account.. I need to pass it to the script through a zipped file when it asks for it. The script can be executed by more people many number times. So for securty purpose, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append some text to a file multiple times

Hi, I have a text file like Version=abc Tab=1 URL GOTO=www.abc.com/board=1 some text... I want to run a loop x no of times and append to the text file above text but URL GOTO should be www.abc.com/board=2 then 3,4...etc till x. Kindly help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying List of Files Under Different File Names ?!

Hi to all here , Excuse me for the lamer question but I need UNIX command for copying List of Files Under Different File Names ! for example I have this list: new_001.jpg new_002.jpg new_003.jpg ..... I want to copy all files that start with "new_" to the same directory but under... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: boboweb_
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check if the same file exists multiple times?

Hi Team , Is there a way I can check to see if the same file say , test.dat exists multiple times in the directory path ? Please help. Thanks Megha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text in file names while copying them.

I'm trying to find a Bourne shell script that will copy files from one directory using a wild card for the file name (*) and add some more characters in the middle of the file name as it is copied. As an example: /u01/tmp-file1.xml => /u02/tmp-file1-20130620.xml /u01/tmp-file2.xml => ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tony Keller
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to do multiple dir's and multiple file names etc.

What am I missing? find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace string and create new file multiple times

First of all, apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere. I haven't quite been able to find what I'm looking for yet, so hopefully this won't come across as repetition. I have a file consisting of ~100 nearly identical lines, each of which contains multiple instances of the string I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudo.seppuku
11 Replies
MV(1)								   User Commands							     MV(1)

NAME
mv - move (rename) files SYNOPSIS
mv [OPTION]... [-T] SOURCE DEST mv [OPTION]... SOURCE... DIRECTORY mv [OPTION]... -t DIRECTORY SOURCE... DESCRIPTION
Rename SOURCE to DEST, or move SOURCE(s) to DIRECTORY. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. --backup[=CONTROL] make a backup of each existing destination file -b like --backup but does not accept an argument -f, --force do not prompt before overwriting -i, --interactive prompt before overwrite -n, --no-clobber do not overwrite an existing file If you specify more than one of -i, -f, -n, only the final one takes effect. --strip-trailing-slashes remove any trailing slashes from each SOURCE argument -S, --suffix=SUFFIX override the usual backup suffix -t, --target-directory=DIRECTORY move all SOURCE arguments into DIRECTORY -T, --no-target-directory treat DEST as a normal file -u, --update move only when the SOURCE file is newer than the destination file or when the destination file is missing -v, --verbose explain what is being done --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The backup suffix is `~', unless set with --suffix or SIMPLE_BACKUP_SUFFIX. The version control method may be selected via the --backup option or through the VERSION_CONTROL environment variable. Here are the values: none, off never make backups (even if --backup is given) numbered, t make numbered backups existing, nil numbered if numbered backups exist, simple otherwise simple, never always make simple backups AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report mv bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report mv translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
rename(2) The full documentation for mv is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and mv programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info coreutils 'mv invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 MV(1)