Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question in the command of Grep Post 302541505 by sreedharust on Monday 25th of July 2011 12:48:22 AM
Old 07-25-2011
Bug Thank you very much..

Wow!! thanks for the detailed response and I got the concept now..... that too in a short time.....

Yes you are right the path name is /dev/null .. Its my typo...

Also the advise of using -q option in the grep was really useful ...

Thank you very muchSmilie .......

Regards

Sreedhar S

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

small question of echo | grep command

Hi, i've got the following: a=`echo $b | grep '^.*/'` i'm storing in the variable the value of the variable b only if it has a / somewhere. It works, but i don't want to print the value. How do i give the value of b to the grep command without the echo? thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfad
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question

Hi, I am currently using grep -c to scan lines for certain data. I am just wondering if you can search a specific column of a file using grep -c. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaken
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to exclude the GREP command from GREP

I am doing "ps -f" to see my process. but I get lines that one of it represents the ps command itself. I want to grep it out using -v flag, but than I get another process that belongs to the GREP itself : I would like to exclude # ps -f UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yamsin789
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep question.

Hi, I am executing the below command. grep ".UPDATE" file1.txt | grep -v MQQUEUE > Myprog1 The expected output is all lines in file1.txt which have the string ".UPDATE" and dont contain the string MQQUEUE. However, the output which I am getting is just searching for the string... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhsinha23
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question

hello people, All my servers have 4 mounts with this norme. For example, if my hostname is siroe. df -h | grep `hostname` /dev/dsk/c1t3d0s6 404G 399G 800M 100% /siroe3 /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s6 404G 399G 800M 100% /siroe2 /dev/md/dsk/d6 20G 812M 19G ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another grep question

Hi guys, I'm very new to unix but am liking it a lot so far, so please be gentle on this newb. I tried using the search for this question, but no luck. Anyways, i've got a few data fields... for example John Adress1 Adress2 Sam Adress3 Adress4 Jason Adress5 Adress6 Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uss_Defiant
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

can anyone help with shell script command about searching word with grep command?

i want to search in the current directory all the files that contain one word for example "hello" i want to achieve it with the grep command but not with the grep * (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep question please

i have files with "DOMAINSOLVER ACMS" with any number of spaces in between the two words on its own line and i can find it with the following: grep -c "DOMAINSOLVER* ACMS" $FILENAMEbut i need to exclude any lines matching: "$DOMAINSOLVER". i've tried a variety of quoting and escaping with no luck.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about grep

can anyone tell me what the \/$ means? from grep \/$ (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question on grep command (extract a string)

Dear all, I have a file a.txt like below: 1_234560_A_G_b37 1 2 1 2 2 2 ... 1_35465767_C_T_b37 2 1 1 2 2 2 ... 2_490638010_A_T_b37 1 2 1 2 2 2 ... 10_4567899_T_G_b37 2 2 1 2 2 2 ... ... what I want to do is extracting rows starting with "10_" like : 10_4567899_T_G_b37 2 2 1 2 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forevertl
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)