Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Opening a file in perl
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Opening a file in perl Post 302541098 by manutd on Friday 22nd of July 2011 12:30:32 PM
Old 07-22-2011
Opening a file in perl

Hi I need to open a file if a condition(for example a if a regular expression) is met. How do i do this ?

open (file) if (some regex).....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Perl

I have gone to /usr/bin/ and click on perl but notting happens.also notting happens when i click on c/c++ or any other program whats wrong ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opening a file

im trying to open a file in my bin directory and the farthest i can get is into the folder but not the actual file itself i use text edit as the editor. when i try to open the file it says it doesn't exist here is what i type cd bin open cmnds (dir. which it is under) open test no such... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiei
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Opening a filehandle but not getting anything back from it

I have two perl functions defined, both run a set of shell commands on some somplied data and return hashs of the resulting parsed output from these shell commands. One works, one doesn't and I can't seem to see why. It's driving me insane :mad: The working one: sub getcellstatus { ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Files and checking contents in Perl

Hi All, I need some expert help in performing the following in Perl. I have a code below but it doesn;t seem to work. Can any expert give me some advice? Below are the requirements 1) Open numerous files assigned to an array @FILES. Note that the files are always named with the term... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Mulitple files using For loop in Perl

Hi All, I have a total of ten file to open in the Perl script and i am using a for loop to open each file and capture some strings inside each file. Unfortunately, i encounter the below syntax error. I think there should be something wrong with this term reports_${counting}_${_}.txt but i do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl-opening a file then copying files

Good morning guys!! Im still practicing with Perl and now Im trying to open a file, and copy its contents to another file. Them I want to remeove the information out of the orginal file after it is copied over. The flow should be messages-->messages1-->messages2. Kind of like a log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening File names with spaces inside it !- PERL

I developed a perl code..And the excerpt from it is given below... open(HANDLE,$cmp_path) ; #reading the xml file from the file path while($file_path = <HANDLE>) I have list of XML files to read from a folder. It has some spaces inside the name of the file...I used "\"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing a message in file without opening it in perl

Hello friends, i have a perl script as below ... for (0 ..$#values) { ##want to print some message here in Report.txt file print `find /abc/xyz/pqr/$values" -type f -ls` >> Report.txt } I am able to get output of print `find /abc/xyz/pqr/$values" -type f -ls` >> Report.txt in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpal singh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xmllint - Xml-file problem --ods file not opening

Dear All, this is my first post on this Forum, glad to be here. I'm trying to fix an .ods file. Yes, I had a backup, but it's also corrupted. When opening the document I get this EM: read error format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2,337040(row,col). So I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jameslast
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening a file in vi and automatically save and quit this file using shell script

Hi friends, In my shell script, I want to open a file using vi editor. After opening the file in vi, I want to save and quit this file automatically.... all through shell script. the code segment is: ------------------------------------------------------------ cd ~/netfpga/projects/scone/sw/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinteotia
2 Replies
regex(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  regex(3)

Name
       re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler

Syntax
       char *re_comp(s)
       char *s;

re_exec(s)
       char *s;

Description
       The  subroutine	compiles  a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching.  The subroutine checks the argument string against
       the last string passed to

The subroutine returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an  error  message  is  returned.  If	is
       passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression.

The  subroutine returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled
       regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error).

The strings passed to both and may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by	nulls.	 The  regular  expressions
       recognized are described in the manual entry for given the above difference.

Diagnostics
       The subroutine returns -1 for an internal error.

The subroutine returns one of the following strings if an error occurs:

No previous regular expression
       Regular expression too long
       unmatched (
       missing ]
       too many () pairs
       unmatched )

See Also
       ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1)

regex(3)