Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Easy Grep Question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Easy Grep Question Post 302540806 by alister on Thursday 21st of July 2011 03:44:44 PM
Old 07-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrosecl
This seems like an easy question, but I can't find an answer already posted.

I want a command to return all of the lines in a file containing exactly a string

I tried
Code:
 grep -x "372701" x.txt

but this did not return anything

I am just trying to search a file for lines which contain exactly a number 1000, but does not return 10000, 11000, 111000, 100000, and so on.
That solution is correct. Although to be safe you should add -F for fixed (literal) string matching, since regular expressions are not needed (in this context, they can only lead to errors and needless computational overhead).

If you are not seeing any output, then there is something else on the line besides 372701. I suggest taking a closer look at your file (perhaps an octal or hex dump) to see what's there. Perhaps there's a carriage return at the end of the line (not uncommon if the data was handled or served by a Windows machine).

If not that, then perhaps you mistyped something.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy question

Hi, Simple question. How do I convert a unix text file to a dos text file? Thanks Helen (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

I know the Sun Solaries versions are ( 2.3 , 2.4 , 2.5 ... 7 , 8 ) . But some times I see sun os v5.x what does it mean ?? also what is the last new machine for sun and what are its details specifications . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another easy question

Hello Again, Ok guys. Thanks again for your help last time but I am in need of your experience again. I wrote this script: #!/bin/sh # List either files or directories in individual accounts # using 1, 2 or 3 with invalid case $1 in echo select 1 to see the FILES in your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A easy question.

this is the simple question, please help me! the question is: how to send exactly 50 ICMP Echo request packets with 500 bytes of payload to 202.139.129.221? I tried to use ping -F 500 202.139.129.221, but it didn't work. Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikikaka
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hopefully an Easy Question

I have a file name in this format ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD_00.DAT I need to cut out the _00 out of the file name everytime. It could be _00, _01,_02, etc .... How do I cut it out to look as follows? ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD.DAT (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

Hi everybody: Could anybody tell me if I have several files which each one it has this pattern name: name1.dat name2.dat name3.dat name4.dat name10.dat name11.dat name30.dat If I would like create one like: name_total.dat If I do: paste name*.dat > name_total.dat (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie Help with Grep or Awk .. Easy one ...

I have this output: uniquemember=uid=315kthatch,ou=people,ou=client315,dc=paisleyhosting,dc=com and i want the output to be just this: 315kthatch I need it to be generic tho, because I have hundreds of lines of output, and the preceding numbers are not always 315. So I would need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

easy grep question

pattern matching porblem. I have a file with lines like this: hdisk2 blah 03 hdisk3 blah 03 hdisk21 blat 06 hdisk23 blah 06 hdisk210 blat 06 So I want to grep for just hdisk2, but I get back as you would expect hdisk2 dhsik21 hdisk23 hdisk210 I tried several... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adder2
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Should be an easy GREP question...

Two things. 1. I need to list all the jpg that start with a specific pattern and I tried using wildcards and can't get it to work. Basically: grep "cpd*.jpg" myfile.sgm return all entries that start with cpd (wildcard) and jpg but this does not work and I can't find another option--I'm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcor826
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy seq Question

Hi! I'm trying to do this: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - I'm using seq for this: seq 1 20 > filename.txt How do I get the "-"? I've tried -f per man but can't get anything to work. Also, is there an easier or better way than using sequence? Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TonyBe
6 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ex(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its relative line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -i The case of letters is ignored in making comparisons -- that is, upper and lower case are considered identical. This applies to grep and fgrep only. -s Silent mode. Nothing is printed (except error messages). This is useful for checking the error status. -w The expression is searched for as a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>', see ex(1).) (grep only) -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character other than newline matches that character. The character ^ matches the beginning of a line. The character $ matches the end of a line. A . (period) matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by an * (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. SEE ALSO
ex(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 GREP(1)