Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing Lines based on matching first column Post 302539804 by kschiltz55 on Monday 18th of July 2011 10:59:09 PM
Old 07-18-2011
Ya it's weird, it works fine on my computer at home and it works on the fake examples I make up at work but it won't work on the real thing at work. My linux doesn't have internet so I can't really show you but it's the strangest thing. Anyway, your code is definitely good, it's something wrong with my system I guess. Either way thank you for all your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing lines that are (same in content) based on columns

I have a file which looks like AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH KK AA BB GG HH KK FF CC DD EE AA BB CC DD EE UU VV XX ZZ AA BB VV XX ZZ UU CC DD EE .... I want the script to give me only one line based on duplicate contents: AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH KK AA BB CC DD EE UU VV XX ZZ (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: adsforall
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching words based on column headers

Hi , Pls help on this. Input file: NAME1 BSC1 TEXT ID 1 MAINSFAIL TEXT ID 2 DGON TEXT ID 3 lOADONDG NAME2 BSC2 TEXT ID 1 DGON TEXT ID 3 lOADONG (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bha148
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching 2 files based on one column

Hi, On a similar subject, the following. I have two files: file1.txt dbSNP_rsID,Chromosome,Position,Gene rs10399749,chr. 01,45162,? rs4030303,chr. 01,72434,? rs4030300,chr. 01,72515,? rs940550,chr. 01,78032,? rs13328714,chr. 01,81468,? rs11490937,chr. 01,222077,? rs6683466,chr.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: swvanderlaan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print non matching lines based on column

My item was not answered on previous thread as code given did not work I wanted to print records from file2 where comparing column 1 and 16 for both files find rows where column 16 in file 1 does not match column 16 in file 2 Here was CODE give to issue ~/unix.com$ cat f1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicate records in a file based on single column

Hi, I want to remove duplicate records including the first line based on column1. For example inputfile(filer.txt): ------------- 1,3000,5000 1,4000,6000 2,4000,600 2,5000,700 3,60000,4000 4,7000,7777 5,999,8888 expected output: ---------------- 3,60000,4000 4,7000,7777... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering lines for column elements based on corresponding counts in another column

Hi, I have a file like this ACC 2 2 21 aaa AC 443 3 22 aaa GCT 76 1 33 xxx TCG 34 2 33 aaa ACGT 33 1 22 ggg TTC 99 3 44 wee CCA 33 2 33 ggg AAC 1 3 55 ddd TTG 10 1 22 ddd TTGC 98 3 22 ddd GCT 23 1 21 sds GTC 23 4 32 sds ACGT 32 2 33 vvv CGT 11 2 33 eee CCC 87 2 44... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: polsum
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with matching column 1 value, retain only the one with highest value in column 2

I have a file like: I would like to find lines lines with duplicate values in column 1, and retain only one based on two conditions: 1) keep line with highest value in column 3, 2) if column 3 values are equal, retain the line with the highest value in column 4. Desired output: I was able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on column in file1, find match in file2 and print matching lines

file1: file2: I need to find matches for any lines in file1 that appear in file2. Desired output is '>' plus the file1 term, followed by the line after the match in file2 (so the title is a little misleading): This is honestly beyond what I can do without spending the whole night on it, so I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert value of column based on file name matching

At the top of the XYZ file, I need to insert the ABC data value of column 2 only when ABC column 1 matches the prefix XYZ file name (not the ".txt"). Is there an awk solution for this? ABC Data 0101 0.54 0102 0.48 0103 1.63 XYZ File Name 0101.txt 0102.txt 0103.txt ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicate lines on first column based with pipe delimiter

Hi, I have tried to remove dublicate lines based on first column with pipe delimiter . but i ma not able to get some uniqu lines Command : sort -t'|' -nuk1 file.txt Input : 38376KZ|09/25/15|1.057 38376KZ|09/25/15|1.057 02006YB|09/25/15|0.859 12593PS|09/25/15|2.803... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: parithi06
2 Replies
Encode::Guess(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					Encode::Guess(3pm)

NAME
Encode::Guess -- Guesses encoding from data SYNOPSIS
# if you are sure $data won't contain anything bogus use Encode; use Encode::Guess qw/euc-jp shiftjis 7bit-jis/; my $utf8 = decode("Guess", $data); my $data = encode("Guess", $utf8); # this doesn't work! # more elaborate way use Encode::Guess; my $enc = guess_encoding($data, qw/euc-jp shiftjis 7bit-jis/); ref($enc) or die "Can't guess: $enc"; # trap error this way $utf8 = $enc->decode($data); # or $utf8 = decode($enc->name, $data) ABSTRACT
Encode::Guess enables you to guess in what encoding a given data is encoded, or at least tries to. DESCRIPTION
By default, it checks only ascii, utf8 and UTF-16/32 with BOM. use Encode::Guess; # ascii/utf8/BOMed UTF To use it more practically, you have to give the names of encodings to check (suspects as follows). The name of suspects can either be canonical names or aliases. CAVEAT: Unlike UTF-(16|32), BOM in utf8 is NOT AUTOMATICALLY STRIPPED. # tries all major Japanese Encodings as well use Encode::Guess qw/euc-jp shiftjis 7bit-jis/; If the $Encode::Guess::NoUTFAutoGuess variable is set to a true value, no heuristics will be applied to UTF8/16/32, and the result will be limited to the suspects and "ascii". Encode::Guess->set_suspects You can also change the internal suspects list via "set_suspects" method. use Encode::Guess; Encode::Guess->set_suspects(qw/euc-jp shiftjis 7bit-jis/); Encode::Guess->add_suspects Or you can use "add_suspects" method. The difference is that "set_suspects" flushes the current suspects list while "add_suspects" adds. use Encode::Guess; Encode::Guess->add_suspects(qw/euc-jp shiftjis 7bit-jis/); # now the suspects are euc-jp,shiftjis,7bit-jis, AND # euc-kr,euc-cn, and big5-eten Encode::Guess->add_suspects(qw/euc-kr euc-cn big5-eten/); Encode::decode("Guess" ...) When you are content with suspects list, you can now my $utf8 = Encode::decode("Guess", $data); Encode::Guess->guess($data) But it will croak if: o Two or more suspects remain o No suspects left So you should instead try this; my $decoder = Encode::Guess->guess($data); On success, $decoder is an object that is documented in Encode::Encoding. So you can now do this; my $utf8 = $decoder->decode($data); On failure, $decoder now contains an error message so the whole thing would be as follows; my $decoder = Encode::Guess->guess($data); die $decoder unless ref($decoder); my $utf8 = $decoder->decode($data); guess_encoding($data, [, list of suspects]) You can also try "guess_encoding" function which is exported by default. It takes $data to check and it also takes the list of suspects by option. The optional suspect list is not reflected to the internal suspects list. my $decoder = guess_encoding($data, qw/euc-jp euc-kr euc-cn/); die $decoder unless ref($decoder); my $utf8 = $decoder->decode($data); # check only ascii, utf8 and UTF-(16|32) with BOM my $decoder = guess_encoding($data); CAVEATS
o Because of the algorithm used, ISO-8859 series and other single-byte encodings do not work well unless either one of ISO-8859 is the only one suspect (besides ascii and utf8). use Encode::Guess; # perhaps ok my $decoder = guess_encoding($data, 'latin1'); # definitely NOT ok my $decoder = guess_encoding($data, qw/latin1 greek/); The reason is that Encode::Guess guesses encoding by trial and error. It first splits $data into lines and tries to decode the line for each suspect. It keeps it going until all but one encoding is eliminated out of suspects list. ISO-8859 series is just too successful for most cases (because it fills almost all code points in x00-xff). o Do not mix national standard encodings and the corresponding vendor encodings. # a very bad idea my $decoder = guess_encoding($data, qw/shiftjis MacJapanese cp932/); The reason is that vendor encoding is usually a superset of national standard so it becomes too ambiguous for most cases. o On the other hand, mixing various national standard encodings automagically works unless $data is too short to allow for guessing. # This is ok if $data is long enough my $decoder = guess_encoding($data, qw/euc-cn euc-jp shiftjis 7bit-jis euc-kr big5-eten/); o DO NOT PUT TOO MANY SUSPECTS! Don't you try something like this! my $decoder = guess_encoding($data, Encode->encodings(":all")); It is, after all, just a guess. You should alway be explicit when it comes to encodings. But there are some, especially Japanese, environment that guess-coding is a must. Use this module with care. TO DO
Encode::Guess does not work on EBCDIC platforms. SEE ALSO
Encode, Encode::Encoding perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Encode::Guess(3pm)