Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading in all files from parent directory (GAWK) Post 302539747 by mirni on Monday 18th of July 2011 02:25:44 PM
Old 07-18-2011
Glad you worked it out. BTW, find(1) is one very useful tool, that many of us use every day. Apart from the powerful -exec switch, that can be used to execute any command on the files, you can process the files one-by-one with the following construct:
Code:
find /path -type f -name "*.dat" | while read file ; do
   echo "Processing file $file "
   #do something with $file
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading files in directory

Hi Everyone , have a nice day i need a help on this thing algo is something like in certain path like /root/user1 i have many files , i need a code which could open every file one by one and then each file has contents like this <moid>CcnCounters=CAPv3-Received-Total-Requests, Source =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dastard
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

gawk - reading two files & re arrange the columns

Hi, I am trying to read 2 files and writing to the 3rd file if I find the same elements in 2 files. my first file is 1 0 kb12124819 766409 1.586e-01 1 0 kb17160939 773886 8.674e-01 1 0 kb4475691 836671 8.142e-01 1 0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezhil01
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing files in a non-parent directory

Hi, Edit: The title should really read listing files in a non-parent directory, sorry! Im trying to get one of my Bash scripting assignments done for uni and now I'm stuck. This is probably going to be one of those kick yourself moments but, in my script I have a variable usrDir which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adzi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files inside the parent directory only

Hi All, The following find command lists the files which are 45 minutes older. But it searches for the sub directories also. $ find . -type f -mmin +45 -print ./hello.txt ./test/hi.txt ./temp/now.txt ls hello.txt test temp How can i modify the find command in such way that it finds... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading files from a directory.

Can some body help me to code this? go to a specific directory.(/home/abcd/test) file1.txt, file2.txt, ... .. filen.txt read the files in side the folder 'test' and print the content of each file into other folder in the same directory lets say(testresult) with the same file name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help in reading N days files from a Directory & combining the files

Hi All, Request your expertise in tackling one requirement in my project,(i dont have much expertise in Shell Scripting). The requirement is as below, 1) We store the last run date of a process in a file. When the batch run the next time, it should read this file, get the last run date from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory?

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Backing up all the files in the subdirectories under a parent directory

Hi, I am not too familiar with Unix scripting but I have to write code to find all the files under all the sub directories under a parent directory of unix location and move them to the corresponding Windows location. For eg: I have \home\sreenu\Files\ Under neath this I have multiple sub... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj.sreenu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from parent directory only

Hello, Please can someone assist on a issue I am having. I want to find specific files in the parent directory only that have been modified over the last 2 days and copy them to another location. NOTE: The version of AIX I am using does not have MAXDEPTH. I have currently written the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find/searching files in subdirectories excluding the fiels in Parent Directory

Hi All, requirement is to find and remove the files from sub directories but it should exclude the files from parent directory. At present i am using the below one but it finds and remove files from both parent and sub directories. find ${PATH} -type f \( -name securitas\* -o -name \*gz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naveenkk
1 Replies
Tree::Simple::Visitor::FindByPath(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		    Tree::Simple::Visitor::FindByPath(3pm)

NAME
Tree::Simple::Visitor::FindByPath - A Visitor for finding an element in a Tree::Simple hierarchy with a path SYNOPSIS
use Tree::Simple::Visitor::FindByPath; # create a visitor object my $visitor = Tree::Simple::Visitor::FindByPath->new(); # set the search path for our tree $visitor->setSearchPath(qw(1 1.2 1.2.2)); # pass the visitor to a tree $tree->accept($visitor); # fetch the result, which will # be the Tree::Simple object that # we have found, or undefined my $result = $visitor->getResult() || die "No Tree found"; # our result's node value should match # the last element in our path print $result->getNodeValue(); # this should print 1.2.2 DESCRIPTION
Given a path and Tree::Simple hierarchy, this Visitor will attempt to find the node specified by the path. METHODS
new There are no arguments to the constructor the object will be in its default state. You can use the "setSearchPath" and "setNodeFilter" methods to customize its behavior. includeTrunk ($boolean) Based upon the value of $boolean, this will tell the visitor to include the trunk of the tree in the search as well. setSearchPath (@path) This is the path we will attempt to follow down the tree. We will do a stringified comparison of each element of the path and the current tree's node (or the value returned by the node filter if it is set). setNodeFilter ($filter_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as its $filter_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. This code reference is used to filter the tree nodes as they are collected. This can be used to customize output, or to gather specific information from a more complex tree node. The filter function should accept a single argument, which is the current Tree::Simple object. visit ($tree) This is the method that is used by Tree::Simple's "accept" method. It can also be used on its own, it requires the $tree argument to be a Tree::Simple object (or derived from a Tree::Simple object), and will throw and exception otherwise. getResult This method will return the tree found at the specified path (set by the "setSearchPath" method) or "undef" if no tree is found. getResults This method will return the tree's that make up the path specified in "setSearchPath". In the case of a failed search, this can be used to find the elements which did successfully match along the way. BUGS
None that I am aware of. Of course, if you find a bug, let me know, and I will be sure to fix it. CODE COVERAGE
See the CODE COVERAGE section in Tree::Simple::VisitorFactory for more inforamtion. SEE ALSO
These Visitor classes are all subclasses of Tree::Simple::Visitor, which can be found in the Tree::Simple module, you should refer to that module for more information. AUTHOR
stevan little, <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004, 2005 by Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2005-10-24 Tree::Simple::Visitor::FindByPath(3pm)