Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting filtering input from read command Post 302538889 by Corona688 on Thursday 14th of July 2011 12:15:37 PM
Old 07-14-2011
Is the number of columns always the same, though? Hard to offer suggestions when I don't know what the input and output is supposed to be.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read command (input) inside the while loop

Hi, 'read' command is not working inside the while loop, How can I solve this? Rgds, Sharif. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I send the input of a read line command through a shell script

Hi All, I wish to automate the unix command 'su' through a shell script. I would like to pass the content of a file as password to 'su' command. My script is as below, #! /bin/sh su userA while read line do rpm -ivh $line done < pwd.txt where pwd.txt contains the password of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris- Read command from user input

I need to write a bourne shell script (solaris 10) that accepts input from the user. The input will be a command- any command like ls/ pwd/ mv etc. After the input is read, the shell must execute the command supplied by the user. I know we use read to play with user inputs. Just not sure how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PDManc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input while executing the command

Hi everyone, i have made a very simple script where it reads the user input and converts the number from celcius to faranheit but instead of running the command and prompting the user for input I want to be able to simply enter a number at the end of the command to run the script. ex. instead of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subway69
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input file with in awk script not through command line

Hi All, Do we know how to read input file within awk script and send output toanother log file. All this needs to be in awk script, not in command line. I am running this awk through crontab. Cat my.awk #!/bin/awk -f function test(var){ some code} { } END { print"test code" } (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: random_thoughts
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read command line input and change it to some form

Hi, I want to write a small code in which script changes command line input to some form. Example script.sh a1 a2 a3 a4 ..... output should be "a1|a2|a3|....." Number of inputs in command line can be any variable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raza Ali
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Input for read command

Hello, I want to use the read command in order to input a keyword from the keyboard. I then want to use this keyword in a grep command. How to I input a phrase as a keyword? For example if I use read keyword "today is" and then use grep, I get "No such file or directory" error. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FelipeAd
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error to Read Input from command line

Team , I am trying to write a case condition for database backups.But I am unable to make the script to read input from command line . while true ;do read -p "Do You Wish To Take Database Backup ?? " yn case $yn in *) echo " YES take backup ";; *) echo " NO BACKUP " ;; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering output from given input

Hi All, I have a input file as below. Input file may contain more hostlists. sample Input file $ cat hostlist.lst cs18-db1-1-sjl cs22-db1-1-was na88-db1-1-chi na21-db1-2-was I want the output like below format. Pls help. Thanks ! Output format: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell read command is not waiting for user input

Hi, i am working on one automation , for that i have writing one shell program that take user input in "while read line" block. but read command is taking value that is readed by While block. while read line; do command 1; command 2 echo -n "Do you want to continute > " read rsp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranvijaidba
2 Replies
pnmcut(1)						      General Commands Manual							 pnmcut(1)

NAME
pnmcut - cut a rectangle out of a portable anymap SYNOPSIS
pnmcut [-left leftcol] [-right rightcol] [-top toprow] [-bottom bottomrow] [-width width] [-height height] [-pad] [-verbose] [ left top width height ] [pnmfile] All options may be abbreviated to the shortest unique prefix. DESCRIPTION
Reads a PBM, PGM, or PPM image as input. Extracts the specified rectangle, and produces the same kind of image as output. There are two ways to specify the rectangle to cut: arguments and options. Options are easier to remember and read, more expressive, and allow you to use defaults. Arguments were the only way available before July 2000. If you use both options and arguments, the two specifications get mixed in an unspecified way. To use options, just code any mixture of the -left, -right, -top, -bottom, -width, and -height options. What you don't specify defaults. It is an error to overspecify, i.e. to specify all three of -left, -right, and -width or -top, -bottom, and -height. To use arguments, specify all four of the left, top, width, and height arguments. left and top have the same effect as specifying them as the argument of a -left or -top option, respectively. width and height have the same effect as specifying them as the argument of a -width or -height option, respectively, where they are positive. Where they are not positive, they have the same effect as specifying one less than the value as the argument to a -right or -bottom option, respectively. (E.g. width = 0 makes the cut go all the way to the right edge). Before July 2000, negative numbers were not allowed for width and height. Input is from Standard Input if you don't specify the input file pnmfile. Output is to Standard Output. OPTIONS
-left The column number of the leftmost column to be in the output. If a nonnegative number, it refers to columns numbered from 0 at the left, increasing to the right. If negative, it refers to columns numbered -1 at the right, decreasing to the left. -right The column number of the rightmost column to be in the output, numbered the same as for -left. -top The row number of the topmost row to be in the output. If a nonnegative number it refers to rows numbered from 0 at the top, increasing downward. If negative, it refers to columns numbered -1 at the bottom, decreasing upward. -bottom The row number of the bottom-most row to be in the output, numbered the same as for -top. -width The number of columns to be in the output. Must be positive. -height The number of rows to be in the output. Must be positive. -pad If the rectangle you specify is not entirely within the input image, pnmcut fails unless you also specify -pad. In that case, it pads the output with black up to the edges you specify. You can use this option if you need to have an image of certain dimensions and have an image of arbitrary dimensions. pnmpad can also fill an image out to a specified dimension, and gives you more explicit control over the padding. -verbose Print information about the processing to Standard Error. SEE ALSO
pnmcrop(1), pnmpad(1), pnmcat(1), pgmslice(1), pnm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 29 June 2000 pnmcut(1)