Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Help - match file name and copy to Directory Post 302537527 by jim mcnamara on Friday 8th of July 2011 12:27:50 PM
Old 07-08-2011
This sounds like homework to me. We have a homeowrk forum.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
cd ~/Bag
for fname in *
do
  echo "$fname | grep -q '\.ext$' || continue
  val=${fname,,}
  cp $fname ~/Table
  case "$val" in
     "apple*") dest=~/apple ;;
     "dog*")  dest~/'Dog Food' ;;     
  esac
  cp $fname ${dest}/$fname
done

This works only in the bash shell. You can add the extra stements needed to get all of the destinations defined.

Note: spaces in UNIX filenames are a PITA, and are usually inflicted on you only by windows applications. Note the ' ' around Dog Food.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Copy files from the file to another directory

I have created a file that has list of all the files I want to copy into another directory.Is there a way to do it? Thanks In advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreethik
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the latest file from one directory to another

Hi All, I am in the directory a/b/processed the files in this directories are -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 330 Aug 8 chandantest.txt_08082008 -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 220 Aug 7 chandantest.txt_07082008 -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 330 Aug 6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandancsc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the latest file to a directory

Hi Team, I wish to copy the latest file of pattern "MyFile*" to some other location. I need to do all the operation in a single command separated by |. ls -rt <MyFile*> | tail -1 | <copy command>. How can I do? Please help me. Thanks, Kanda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match File and Copy File Script (Homework, Closed)

Can you please help on this? I am looking for the shell script which does following:- step 1: It should open the file /u/manish/input/FileIndex.dat and read line by line step 2: Once first line is read (for ex: File1), we have to find a file, that contains this matching... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: teteguru1
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and copy file to another directory..

Hi Everybody, i want a samll help to write a script. i had source location with :/user/bin (bin contains subdirectories with like names emails etc and had several files in each subdirectory) and target location with :/usr/scripts (having same subdirectories names and had some files)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy a file to a directory?

Hello all, I've been researching this problem for days, and have gotten no luck . =/ How do you copy a file to another directory without being in the same directory as the file? So, for example, say I wanted to copy the file 'my.txt' that is in the directory ' /export/hom0/user/asdf ' to the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvnqiu
9 Replies

7. Programming

how to copy file to a directory

Hello, I've been spending a lot of hours trying to imitate cp copying a file to a directory. cp I just can't seem to write to a specified directory, it only creates a copy on the current directory. any hints/tips will help! Thanks! here's the code i've been trying to manipulate: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display match or no match and write a text file to a directory

The below bash connects to a site, downloads a file, searches that file based of user input - could be multiple (all that seems to work). What I am not able to figure out is how to display on the screen match found or no match found" and write a file to a directory (C:\Users\cmccabe\Desktop\wget)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies
IFX_FIELDPROPERTIES(3)							 1						    IFX_FIELDPROPERTIES(3)

ifx_fieldproperties - List of SQL fieldproperties

SYNOPSIS
array ifx_fieldproperties (resource $result_id) DESCRIPTION
Returns the Informix SQL fieldproperties of every field in the query as an associative array. Properties are encoded as: "SQL- TYPE;length;precision;scale;ISNULLABLE" where SQLTYPE = the Informix type like "SQLVCHAR" etc. and ISNULLABLE = "Y" or "N". PARAMETERS
o $result_id -$result_id is a valid resultid returned by ifx_query(3) or ifx_prepare(3) (select type queries only!). RETURN VALUES
Returns an associative array with fieldnames as key and the SQL fieldproperties as data for a query with $result_id. Returns FALSE on errors. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Informix SQL fieldproperties <?php $properties = ifx_fieldproperties($resultid); if (!isset($properties)) { /* ... error ... */ } foreach ($properties as $fname => $val) { echo "$fname: property = $val "; } ?> SEE ALSO
ifx_fieldtypes(3). PHP Documentation Group IFX_FIELDPROPERTIES(3)