Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar file from current folder
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar file from current folder Post 302537187 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 7th of July 2011 10:25:20 AM
Old 07-07-2011
I'm confused.
Say you have directories like this
Code:
month
  day1
  day2

IF you want a tar ball of /month/day1, with the tar ball IN that same directory:
Code:
tar zvfc /tmp/month.day1.tar  /month/day1
cp /tmp/month.day1.tar  /month/day1/month.day1.tar

That creates a tar archive with an absolute path, which is not all that useful for some things.

This creates a relative path:

Code:
cd /month
tar zvfc /tmp/month.day1.tar  ./day1
cp /tmp/month.day1.tar  /month/day1/month.day1.tar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using tar for current directory, but not subs

I know that I can type tar -cvf myfile.tar * to tar the current directory and all it's sub directories, but how do I tar ONLY the current directory and skip all the subdirectories? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pack current folder

How do I pack (using tar zcvf ?) the current folder inluding all files and folders ?? I need to be sure to get all files and folders/subfolders... Later I will unpack into a new folder on a new server.. Appreciate any help.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: WebWatch
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use awk to create new folder in current directory

Alright, I am sure this is a laughable question, but I don't know so I am going to ask anyway. I have a little script I am writing to take information from one source, recode it in a certain way, and print to files for each subject I have data for. This all works perfectly. I just want to put... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccox85
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files in current folder only?

How do I find files in current folder only? We are on AIX 5.3, so maxdepth is not supported. I tried to do this find /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 -prune -type f to display all files in /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 only but it does not show any files. Somehow the -prune option works for dir3 level... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Jar/Tar to a diffent folder/same folder w/ filename

Hi, I want to extract myfile.war to a folder which is in the same folder with war file.I did this as normal: jar -xvf myfile.war But it exploded all the content of file to the same level folder instead of that I was expecting to create a folder called myfile. This works with tar: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reis3k
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting current folder name appended to all desired files

Hello everyone, Just registered here, I'm kinda new to Unix :o I've been trying to automate some processes with various Windows tools. I found that using unix scripts the result would be closest to my needs. So I installed Cygwin on Windows 7. My folders and files are structured like this:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_bg1
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search current folder and subfolders with grep

Hello, Neither ‘Grep -r' nor ‘grep -R' is working in my environment. (Searching for a text pattern in the files) Any suggestions... Using SunOS 5.9 Thanks, Trinanjan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhanja_trinanja
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar command to preserve the folder/file arrangement

Hi, I do have question for un tar a file. I have several 'tar'ed files. For example: SRS.tar.bz2. I was trying to untar them in a linux server using the command: tar xvjf SRS.tar.bz2 It worked perfectly. but when I open this file in my mac computer all the files are extracted into a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies
cal(1)								   User Commands							    cal(1)

NAME
cal - display a calendar SYNOPSIS
cal [ [month] year] DESCRIPTION
The cal utility writes a Gregorian calendar to standard output. If the year operand is specified, a calendar for that year is written. If no operands are specified, a calendar for the current month is written. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: month Specify the month to be displayed, represented as a decimal integer from 1 (January) to 12 (December). The default is the current month. year Specify the year for which the calendar is displayed, represented as a decimal integer from 1 to 9999. The default is the current year. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cal: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_TIME, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. TZ Determine the timezone used to calculate the value of the current month. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
calendar(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
An unusual calendar is printed for September 1752. That is the month 11 days were skipped to make up for lack of leap year adjustments. To see this calendar, type: cal 9 1752 The command cal 83 refers to the year 83, not 1983. The year is always considered to start in January. SunOS 5.11 1 Feb 1995 cal(1)