Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] sed : last character replace Post 302537058 by itkamaraj on Thursday 7th of July 2011 03:27:43 AM
Old 07-07-2011
Code:

$ echo "123" | nawk ' BEGIN{FS=""} {for(i=1;i<=length($0);i++) {a=a+substr($0,i,1)}} END{print a}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace first character of string sed

I want to change the first/or any character of a string to upper-case: String: test Desired results: Test or tEst or teSt or tesT thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Replace a repeating character

I have a text file and every line ends in |^ |^^ |^^^ |^^^^ I need to use sed to make all lines end it |^ regardless of the amount of carrots. The code i was using is: cat FILE | sed 's/\^\^\^/\^/g' But then they threw that curveball at me. Also is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solved - Sed - Positional Replace

Hi All, I don't know what I am doing wrong in the regex below. I have the following string: 31000000010201005181121360000000100000000003000000YYY-YYY-YYY-20100518-104139.txt.YYY I need to split it in parts: - Group 1: 3100000001020100518112136 - Group 2: 000000010 - Group 3:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: felipe.vinturin
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help,to replace the last character

cat input.txt agsbdafgd ertebrtreter ahrbrwerg The last character of a line that does not start with a would be changed to Z. Final output: agsbdafgd ertebrtreteZ ahrbrwerg Can anyone post the sed command to do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] SED - Bash - Inserting multi Tab character in the command

Hello. I am using : sed -i -e '/§name_script§/a#'"${MY_TAB11}"'# \ #'"${MY_TAB1}"'The Standard way'"${MY_TAB7}"'# \ #'"${MY_TAB1}"'==============='"${MY_TAB7}"'# \ ' "$CUR_FILE" Is there a better way to define "MY_TAB7","MY_TAB11" in other way than : MY_TAB1=$'\t' MY_TAB2=${MY_TAB1}$'\t'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find and replace till nth occurence of a special character

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a pattern in each line in a file and remove the in between words till the 3rd occurrence of double quote ("). Ex: CREATE TABLE "SCHEMANAME"."AMS_LTV_STATUS" (Note: "SCHEMANAME" may changes for different schemas. Its not a fixed value) I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] sed to replace words

Hello All, I have file named filelist.txt a.bteq.ctl b.bteq.ctl c.bteq.ctl I want to replace the word bteq to tpt in this file. I used this sed command cat filelist.txt | sed 's/bteq/tpt/g' > filelist.txt But this command deletes all records from the filelist.txt Can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] sed - how replace date in script

Hi All, I have a requirement to find and replace old date with new date value. Below is the scenario: # In the input file, date is MM/DD/YYYY format PREV_DTE=09/15/2013 I want to replace with 09/30/2013. It should look like PREV_DTE=09/30/2013 I am using below sed command :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockygsd
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Replace character in 3rd column and leave 1rst and last

Hello to all, I have the following text where columns are separated by spaces. I want to have the 3rd column separating 3 strings with 2 "_" in the format below: LeftSring_CentralString_RightString So, in 3rd column I want to replace all "_" with "-", except the first and last "_" The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
5 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters (runes). Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by dupli- cating its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c Complement string1: replace it with a lexicographically ordered list of all other characters. -d Delete from input all characters in string1. -s Squeeze repeated output characters that occur in string2 to single characters. In either string a noninitial sequence -x, where x is any character (possibly quoted), stands for a range of characters: a possibly empty sequence of codes running from the successor of the previous code up through the code for x. The character followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. The character sequence followed by 1, 2, 3, or 4 hexadecimal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. A followed by any other character stands for that character. EXAMPLES
Replace all upper-case ASCII letters by lower-case. tr A-Z a-z <mixed >lower Create a list of all the words in one per line in where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. String2 is given as a quoted newline. tr -cs A-Za-z ' ' <file1 >file2 SOURCE
/src/cmd/tr.c SEE ALSO
sed(1) TR(1)