Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: accidentally umount -a
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers accidentally umount -a Post 302536543 by lramsb4u on Tuesday 5th of July 2011 05:35:14 PM
Old 07-05-2011
accidentally umount -a

Hi all,

I accidentally unmounted filesystems using umount -a command.

How to recover from this. Please help. Thanks in advance!

when i try to use mount -a i got the following output.

Code:

[root@lnx ~]# mount -a
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol05 already mounted or /opt busy
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol07 already mounted or /u01 busy
mount: /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 already mounted or /boot busy

following is the /etc/fstab file

Code:

[root@lnx ~]# more /etc/fstab
/dev/vg00/lvol00        /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
/dev/vg00/lvol02        /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/vg00/lvol05        /opt                    ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/vg00/lvol03        /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/vg00/lvol04        /tmp                    ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/vg00/lvol06        /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/vg00/lvol07        /u01                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/vg00/lvol01        swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

below is the df command output

Code:

[root@lnx ~]# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg00-lvol00
                      9.7G  404M  8.8G   5% /
/dev/mapper/vg00-lvol02
                      9.7G  320M  8.9G   4% /var
/dev/mapper/vg00-lvol03
                       20G  1.4G   18G   8% /usr
/dev/mapper/vg00-lvol04
                      9.7G  151M  9.1G   2% /tmp
/dev/mapper/vg00-lvol06
                      9.7G  195M  9.0G   3% /home

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umount

:confused: Twofold question for you unix "guru's" 1) When attempting to use the umount command I get a message stating that the partition that I want to unmount is busy. Is there another command that I need to use prior to the umount command to clear the partition of activity????? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rod23
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Accidentally deleting directory/files

Hi, I accidentally deleted a big directory with all its sub-directories and bunch of source code files which I have been developing for about 2 years... What will I do now, how can I retrieve my files, directory hierarchy back ??? If anyone, please HELP ! ! ! ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

umount help

hi all, I inherit a Solaris7 system with /home mounted via a share from the NFS server. When I look at mnttab, there are two entries mounted under /home. Let's say they are server:/home/a and server:/home/b. I would like to maintain /home/a but not /home/b. However, I just don't know where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrec
4 Replies

4. Solaris

changed shell of the root accidentally

Hi All, I have changed the shell of the root accidentally to /sbin/bash :mad: How do I change that? :( To change that I need to go to ok prompt I think, and there I need to mount the root file system in order to make changes to the respective file. Can any one please suggest how do I do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintu_asim
4 Replies

5. Solaris

I may have accidentally redefined one of the outputs...

I get unexpected results when doing ls -al | more and ls -al | grep. When I do not pipe the output, it comes to the screen just fine, and there is output! When I pipe to another command, I either get nothing, or else I get a strange dump. Which of the outputs have I accidentally affected?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joang
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! Accidentally downloaded .gz file non-binary

Let me start by saying I am at a VERY beginner level in terms of UNIX/FTP/etc. Someone loaded a file onto a server for me and zipped it using gzip. I accidentally downloaded the file without using "binary". I now have a "filename.txt.gz" sitting on my computer that I need to unzip. Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: UDcc123
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Accidentally did a unlink inet

I was trying to remove a symbolic link of /etc/hosts to /etc/inet/hosts well i forgot the command and in the /etc directory i did unlink inet and now i can not get into inet and it does not exist in /etc 1) what do i do to fix the inet directory 2) how do i link /etc/hosts to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accidentally removed a script

I accidentally rm a script (typo) and it doesn't even show up in the trash. Is there any way I can recover? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
3 Replies

9. AIX

Oracle ASM accidentally messed with my hdisk

I have AIX 5.3 with oracle 10g ( test server). While trying to create RAW disk for Oracle ASM I have accidentally messed with rootvg (hdisk0 & hdisk1) When I do # lspv hdisk0 0516-066 : Physical volume is not a volume group member. Check the physical volume name specified. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: George_Samaan
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP - accidentally removing unprocessed records

I have an automated sftp process running on a Linux server that is securely connecting to an insurance company server whereby the insurance company places work assignments into a directory on their windows server (running VanDyke Vshell). My unattended (background) process runs every minute.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffvansan
8 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-b|--backup_number VolumeGroupBackupNumber] [-d|--debug] [-f|--file VGConfPath] [-l[l]|--list [--list]] [-h|--help] [-i|--ignore_size] [-n|--name VolumeGroupName] [-o|--oldpath OldPhysicalVolumePath] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] [PhysicalVolumePath] DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the volume group descriptor area from backup files in /etc/lvmconf or from VGConfPath to the given Phys- icalVolumePath. The default backup file is /etc/lvmconf/VolumeGroupName.conf. This command DOES NOT restore data contained in logical volume(s), only the LVM configuration metadata! OPTIONS -b, --backup_numberVolumeGroupBackupNumber Restore from the specified backup number. Use together with option -n which gives the name of the volume group. See examples below. -d, --debug Enables additional debugging output (if compiled with DEBUG). -f, --file VGConfPath Restore from the specified path. Useful for selection of specific backups in the backup history or for copies of VGDA backups. -i, --ignore_size Restore though the size of the physical volume doesn't match the one in the backup. -l, --list Display volume group information contained in the backup file. If given twice, the physical and logical volume information con- tained in the backup file is also shown. -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. -n, --name VolumeGroupName Do a restore for this volume group name. -o, --oldpath OldPhysicalVolumePath If the path to the physical volume has changed between backup time and restore time, this option enables you to choose the corre- sponding physical volume path in the backup file. -t, --test Do a test run reading the volume group backup WITHOUT trying to restore it -v, --verbose Give verbose runtime information about vgcfgrestore's activities. --version Output the version number and exit successfully. Examples To display information like with "vgdisplay vg00" stored in the backup file /etc/lvmconf/vg00.conf: vgcfgrestore -n vg00 -l To restore the VGDA of vg00 from the alternative backup file /tmp/vg00-old to physical volume /dev/sdn1: vgcfgrestore -f /tmp/vg00-old -n vg00 /dev/sdn1 To restore the VGDA of vg00 from the alternative backup file /etc/lvmconf/vg00.conf.5.old to physical volume /dev/sda5 : vgcfgrestore -n vg00 -b 5 /dev/sda5 DIAGNOSTICS
vgcfgrestore returns an exit code of 0 for success and > 0 for error: 1 no physical volume on command line 2 invalid physical volume name 3 volume group is active 4 error doing restore to physical volume 5 backup is invalid for this volume group 6 volume group is inconsistent 7 physical volume doesn't belong to volume group backup 8 error reading physical volume 9 error getting size of physical volume 10 error writing VGDA to physical volume(s) 11 error removing special files of volume group 12 error setting volume group into lvmtab 13 error doing backup 95 driver/module not in kernel 96 invalid I/O protocol version 97 error locking logical volume manager 98 invalid lvmtab (run vgscan(8)) 99 invalid command line SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcfgbackup(8), vgcreate(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS VGCFGRESTORE(8)