Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Can't restore my deleted etc from tape Post 302535626 by styno on Friday 1st of July 2011 10:04:59 AM
Old 07-01-2011
- You can first check/test the archive with "tar -tvf /dev/yourtape".
- Then check the output and verify the full paths to the files on tape.
- if the filepath is /etc/yourfiles you can restore from anywhere, if it is etc/yourfiles (notice, no leading slash) then you should restore from the read-write mounted location of the original root filesystem.
- read-only could mean that you are still sitting in the path where the cdrom is (ofcourse) read-only mounted
This User Gave Thanks to styno For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Restore Problems!!!

Hi. I have been having problems with restoring from a tape backup. I use the following cpio command: find / -print | cpio -ouvB > /dev/rStp0 After running this cpio command, the screen will display all files, but when I try to read or restore the tape I get the following error: Tape input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Restore to disk from tape

I have been restoring from tape some old data. I have done quite a few tapes and have had no problems until now. The command I am running is "dd if=/dev/rmt/1hbn bs=1024 | tar -pBxF - ". This is the second tape have have come up with the error "Not enough space". This tape has a couple of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtoombs
1 Replies

3. Linux

how can i restore a deleted file

I am a relatively new linux user.would like to know how to undo a deleted file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Backup Tape Restore?

I am trying to do a restore on a backup tape (DDS2) and am having a little trouble. For one, I dont know how the tape was made, whether is was tar, cpio, dump..etc. Anyone know how to restore a tape without knowing the format of the backup? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bake255
5 Replies

5. AIX

Restore a tape

Hello everyone I have a tape with some information that I got to restore, the tape was made with the fbackup command in a hp box. My question is that I have to restore in a Ibm box, how can I do this ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

6. Solaris

restore deleted folder

Hi, Can someone help me out as to how to recover a deleted folder? the user id which deleted the folder is known, the approx time is known. Its urgent, plz help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aboxilica
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to restore the deleted files

hi, if i delete a file from /home/san/abc.cpp in linux/unix and i want to restore it back how to do that ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restore File To Its Location from where it was deleted

Hello, When I am deleleting some file that time I am moving that file to backup directory and when I say restore then its showing me the backupdirectory path and file with index..Ex..if i delete 3 files then restore will shoe me: :0:/backup/somedeletedfile :1:/backup/somedeletedfile10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhijitIT
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

restore deleted file

I accidently deleted the files from linux machine. How to restore back the files. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Emergency - restore a deleted zfs snapshot

Hi, I deleted a zfs snapshot because it was as big as the original zfs. After the snapshot was removed, all the data in the original zfs is gone. How this happened? Can I restore the snapshot? Please help. Thanks a lot! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
5 Replies
filesystem(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					     filesystem(7)

NAME
filesystem - event signalling that filesystems have been mounted SYNOPSIS
filesystem [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The filesystem event is generated by the mountall(8) daemon after it has mounted all filesystems listed in fstab(5). mountall(8) emits this event as an informational signal, services and tasks started or stopped by this event will do so in parallel with other activity. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to be running once filesystems are mounted might use: start on filesystem SEE ALSO
mounting(7) mounted(7) virtual-filesystems(7) local-filesystems(7) remote-filesystems(7) all-swaps(7) mountall 2009-12-21 filesystem(7)