Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris The .profile file has only exit command Post 302532481 by avinashpv on Tuesday 21st of June 2011 05:31:22 AM
Old 06-21-2011
Hi robsonde,

This is definitely not a homework question :-)
This was asked to me in an interview this weekend.

I was really not sure, if this is going to log me out.
I tried searching the internet for any answer. Also, I was thinking of trying it on a non-production machine. However, I first wanted to have a back-up plan of how I can do damage control, incase the .profile throws me out every time I login.

I think I have the answer now.

Let me try this and find it out for the group.

Thanks for the quick reply though.

- Avinash

---------- Post updated at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:11 PM ----------

I have tried editing the .profile to have only the exit command.
Now the server is not allowing me to login Smilie Smilie

Not sure, how I can fix this. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

profile script command syntax

Following is my /etc/profile script. Everything above the asterisks executes as expected. Nothing below the asterisks executes as I would like it to. Any guidance on what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated :-) #ident "@(#)profile 1.18 98/10/03 SMI" /* SVr4.0 1.3 */ # The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mufasa
3 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

creating a new profile from command line

Does any1 know how to preform such an operation on a mac? any help appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit command

Hi All, Having just started using Unix after a long time on VMS, I end up having multiple Unix and VMS sessions open. Is there a way I can set up a symbol or something so that "lo" means "exit" and exits my session ? On VMS, if I wanted to do the opposite of this I would do it like this : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdines
3 Replies

4. Solaris

/etc/profile file edited. No command working

I have X4500 and I created a user. I wanted to give him root privileges and for editing the sudoers files I typed visudo sudoers. But it said visudo command not found. After googling I found that we need to set path in etc/profile. I edited that and put the following command ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with exit command

Problem with exit command ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi, I am executing script written by other user. I am executing script A.ksh, and A.ksh calls B.ksh. But It is giving error: /home/user/B.ksh: exit: -1: unknown option When I checked... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreyas
3 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Problem using a top command alias in my profile

Hi- I am newish to the mac osx unix interface. I want to set up top so that it always displays the username. I can use this command to do this: top -ocpu -P ' PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE USER' -p '$aaaa ^bbbbbbbbb $cccc $wwwwwww $ee... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikey11415
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias command within .profile

Please could someone advise me the command - to set up aliases commands within a .profile using shell sh regards venhart (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Equivalents of tee command to find exit status of command

Hi, Want to log the output of command & check the exit status to find whether it succeeded or failed. > ls abc ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 1 > ls abc 2>&1 | tee log ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 0 Tee commands changes my exit status to be always... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

9. AIX

Bypass Read Line in profile through AIX command

Hi All, I have a complicated requirement where in I have a "root" user and a user named "xeadmin" I want to take sudo of "xeadmin" by command sudo su - xeadmin. Later i need to hit 2 enter keys as there are 2 read line commands inserted in profile of "xeadmin" and I reach command prompt, i need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiteshsathawane
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command Understanding :- . $PWD/.profile

Hi, I am new in unix, can anyone please explain the use of:- . $PWD/.profile Thanks, Sujoy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujoyrchowdhury
5 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)