Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris what is the use of /etc/project file and project administration commands? Post 302532293 by chidori on Monday 20th of June 2011 01:27:06 PM
Old 06-20-2011
Hi bartus11.. how are you.. Smilie
now doing more devil works with solaris. hope you remember the last... mount issue :P
this time i renamed /etc/project file and user login was happening but it was slow.
any comment on this issue?

---------- Post updated at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:20 PM ----------

@bartus11.. the link explains about project.. but i want to know why we need such project concept.. it would be nice you give some real time example where we would want a project to be created.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

modifying C file and linking back to project files

hi, This is the first time I work in a big C project. All source code files are located in say directory /source/pp and all header files are in /include/pp. I've created a link to both of these directories from my home dir, say /home/ss. So in the /home/ss dir I have the /source/pp and /include/pp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bruins2005
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with easy project - reading a file.

I need to do a project that is suppose to read a file and it is suppose to display the number of the line plus whatever the file is reading indented by a tab: example file: "This is the test file." expected output: 1 "This is 2 the test 3 file." I am having two... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lesgoodfella
1 Replies

3. Solaris

SSH doesn't pick up user's project from /etc/project

We have a system running ssh. When a user logs in, they do not get the project they are assigned to (they run under "system"). I verify the project using the command "ps -e -o user,pid,ppid,args,project". If you do a "su - username", the user does get the project they are assigned to (and all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurgan
2 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help Needed Regarding Project in File Locking.

hai guys, I'am a newbie to this forum and to unix as well...as a part of our syllabus i got a project in Unix which i have to do in 4 days.Project is kinda File locking i will give the project specs...guys please help me.. Established client-server architecture using socket... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rosemolr
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared File System Project Feasibility

I would be taking my masters degree project next year. So I am now in the process of thinking something that could help me get more in depth knowledge and will be a useful one in practice. I have thought about creating shared file system for clustered environments (like GPFS,GFS). I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to remove GCOV flags from Qt project file

Hi, I have the following gcov compilation flags in all the QT source code project (*.pro) files. CONFIG(gcov) { LIBS += -lgcov QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += -fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage } Now, I want to remove these flags off my files. Please help me with a script to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

7. News, Links, Events and Announcements

A new project was posted on The UNIX and Linux Forums project board.

A new project was posted on your project board. Project title: Bash Shell Tutoring Estimated Budget: $50/hr Start date: Immediately Required skills: Linux, Bash, Shell, UNIX I work as a datawarehouse designer and developer. Although I usually stick to the role of an analyst,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning project ideas - shell, python, UNIX tools, system administration

Hi guys, I am currently working as a system administration engineer, administering telecom applications on linux/unix platforms. I want to learn new things and improve the ones that i have and for this i though to really work on some project or something but i lack of ideas. I want to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitanui
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FINDING DUPLICATE PROJECT ( directory project )

I have a project tree like that. after running find command with the -no -empty option, i am able to have a list of non empty directory DO_MY_SEARCH="find . -type d -not -empty -print0" MY_EXCLUDE_DIR1=" -e NOT_IN_USE -e RTMAP -e NOT_USEFULL " echo " " > $MY_TEMP_RESULT_1 while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
PASSWD(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 PASSWD(5)

NAME
passwd - password file DESCRIPTION
Passwd is a text file, that contains a list of the system's accounts, giving for each account some useful information like user ID, group ID, home directory, shell, etc. Often, it also contains the encrypted passwords for each account. It should have general read permission (many utilities, like ls(1) use it to map user IDs to usernames), but write access only for the superuser. In the good old days there was no great problem with this general read permission. Everybody could read the encrypted passwords, but the hardware was too slow to crack a well-chosen password, and moreover, the basic assumption used to be that of a friendly user-community. These days many people run some version of the shadow password suite, where /etc/passwd has asterisks (*) instead of encrypted passwords, and the encrypted passwords are in /etc/shadow which is readable by the superuser only. Regardless of whether shadow passwords are used, many sysadmins use an asterisk in the encrypted password field to make sure that this user can not authenticate him- or herself using a password. (But see the Notes below.) If you create a new login, first put an asterisk in the password field, then use passwd(1) to set it. There is one entry per line, and each line has the format: account:password:UID:GID:GECOS:directory:shell The field descriptions are: account the name of the user on the system. It should not contain capital letters. password the encrypted user password, an asterisk (*), or the letter 'x'. (See pwconv(8) for an explanation of 'x'.) UID the numerical user ID. GID the numerical primary group ID for this user. GECOS This field is optional and only used for informational purposes. Usually, it contains the full username. GECOS means General Electric Comprehensive Operating System, which has been renamed to GCOS when GE's large systems division was sold to Honeywell. Dennis Ritchie has reported: "Sometimes we sent printer output or batch jobs to the GCOS machine. The gcos field in the password file was a place to stash the information for the $IDENTcard. Not elegant." directory the user's $HOME directory. shell the program to run at login (if empty, use /bin/sh). If set to a nonexistent executable, the user will be unable to login through login(1). FILES
/etc/passwd NOTES
If you want to create user groups, their GIDs must be equal and there must be an entry in /etc/group, or no group will exist. If the encrypted password is set to an asterisk, the user will be unable to login using login(1), but may still login using rlogin(1), run existing processes and initiate new ones through rsh(1), cron(8), at(1), or mail filters, etc. Trying to lock an account by simply chang- ing the shell field yields the same result and additionally allows the use of su(1). SEE ALSO
login(1), passwd(1), su(1), getpwent(3), getpwnam(3), group(5), shadow(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1998-01-05 PASSWD(5)