Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers deleting words in list with more than 2 identical adjacent characters Post 302532172 by ygemici on Monday 20th of June 2011 07:12:40 AM
Old 06-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAPE
Thats great guys, thanks a lot ! Just another quick query, could I ask you to give quick explanation on what the;
\1\{2,\}
is enabling so I can work on it and if necessary change to alternative possibilities ?

It looks like it is allowing 1 through to 2 adjacent characters allowed, am trying to learn
this sed, however it is proving a challenge !
\1\{2,\} is that matchs string for pattern is repetitions 2 or more than its in defined `\(....\) `

regards
ygemici

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

list only identical filename

Hi Friends, We have four filenames with first few digits are identical.From those files, i need to pick up 2 files based on my parameter. The following example will give more information to understand my question. Files in the directory: small_customer_aa.csv small_customer_ab.csv... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: HAA
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting symbols and characters between two words

Hi Please tell me how could i delete symbols, whitespaces, characters, words everything between two words in a line. Let my file is aaa BB ccc ddd eee FF kkk xxx 123456 BB 44^& iop FF 999 xxx uuu rrr BB hhh nnn FF 000 I want to delete everything comes in between BB and FF( deletion... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rish_max
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting blank line and row containing certain words in single sed command

Hi Is it possible to do the following in a single command /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/rows selected/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/^$/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto_new.txt exit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting words between tags

Hi !!! I need to write a script(ksh) that deletes any character outside <start> tag and </start> from a file. For eg: $cat file.txt <start> ad bd </start> as</start> <start> d e f mb<start>mu g h i (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRKS
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing identical words in column

I have a file that needs to be cleaned up. Here is the file: Project Project John Project Gary Project Sean Project2 Project2 Lisa Project2 Tyler Project2 Sam Project3 Project3 Mike Project3 Bran I need the o/p to be: Project John Gary Sean Project2 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get characters between two words

Guys, Here is the txt file... SLIC N0SLU704034789 rŒ° EJ00 ó<NL DMRG>11 100 4B 2 SLIC N0SLU704034789 rŒ° TJ10 <4000><NL> 2 SLIC N0SLU704034789 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding and removing 2 identical consecutive words in a text

i want to write a shell script that correct a text file.for example if i have the input file: "john has has 2 apples anne has 3 oranges oranges" i want that the output file be like this: "john has 2 apples anne has 3 oranges" i've tried to read line by line from input text file into array... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cocostaec
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting words and sorting

I have a file that looks some like this: I need to delete most of the information and sort the rest in such way that I get the following output file Any help will be greatly appreciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting words between every appearance of two words

Hi there, newbie there. I've been browsing the forums hoping to find a solution that answers a problem similar to what I need, but haven't had much luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! I need to delete a bunch of text between every appearance of two words in a really large file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lendl
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a list of words from a text file

Hello, I have a list of words separated by spaces I am trying to delete from a text file, and I could not figure out what is the best way to do this. what I tried (does not work) : delete="password key number verify" arr=($delete) for i in arr { sed "s/\<${arr}\>]*//g" in.txt } >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hawk4520
5 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-cdu] [-f fields] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the standard input comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the standard output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Don't output lines that are not repeated in the input. -f fields Ignore the first fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adja- cent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e. the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first fields fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e. the first character is character one. -u Don't output lines that are repeated in the input. If additional arguments are specified on the command line, the first such argument is used as the name of an input file, the second is used as the name of an output file. The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
January 6, 2007 BSD