Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting change each letter of a string Post 302530648 by Corona688 on Tuesday 14th of June 2011 03:44:36 PM
Old 06-14-2011
You can do it all in one tr, no need to od | tr | awk | sed | this | that | whatever. Just match your output set to what you want.

input: a-z
output b-za

input: A-Z
output: B-ZA

input: 0-9
output: 1-90

Code:
$ echo ben123 | tr '[a-zA-Z0-9]' '[b-zaB-ZA1-90]'
cfo234
$

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

get only two letter from any string

I want get middle two latter of any string. Input: var="070108" output: var1="01" please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a letter in a string

How to check whether a particular string contains dot or not? Here I can not use grep as the string is not in a file. I will get this string from user input Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balamv
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the letter from string

Hi, Pl help me. User is entering the values for the given input Enter keys: secret1 secret2 secret3 can i extract the last digit of each values in the keys.. here for ex. 1 2 3 can we get this using shell script? (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: balamv
22 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

First Letter in a String to be capitalized

Is there a way to cnvert first letter alone in a string to upper case. For eg: diamond should be converted to Diamond. Thanks in Advance, Kinny (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOWTO - change letter case of variable value

Hi I have e.g. VAR1=january and I need to change it into VAR1=January. How to change value of VAR1 variable to always set first character uppercase and other lowercase ? thx for help. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to take a string and break each letter into a separate variable

I am trying to make a script that takes a word and each letter up and turns it into a separate variable. My code currently does not work but I feel I just need to tweak one thing that I am unsure of. (ex: if forum was typed in letter1=f; letter2=o; letter3=r;...) Thank you count=1; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimputt
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

check index of a string by finding a letter in it

i would like to search for a letter in a string and get its index position. example: name='john' pos=$(expr index $name o) the result will be equal to 2 (2nd position) how do you make this thing not case sensitive? example: name='john' pos=$(expr index $name O) the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kokoro
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting all words that start with a capital letter in a string using python dictionary

Hi, I have written the following python snippet to store the capital letter starting words into a dictionary as key and no of its appearances as a value in this dictionary against the key. #!/usr/bin/env python import sys import re hash = {} # initialize an empty dictinonary for line in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue catching/reading 2 digits and 3 letter string between brackets

Hello I'm writing a handler for ffmpeg, and having troubles to catch some exceptions that may occour with certain files. In order to parse for video & subtitle maps, i've had to make the raw data easier to handle, until now this worked well, but basicly i've just been lucky... The input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sea
1 Replies
TOUCH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  TOUCH(1)

NAME
touch -- change file access and modification times SYNOPSIS
touch [-acfhm] [-r file] [-t [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]] file ... DESCRIPTION
The touch utility sets the modification and access times of files to the current time of day. If the file doesn't exist, it is created with default permissions. The following options are available: -a Change the access time of the file. The modification time of the file is not changed unless the -m flag is also specified. -c Do not create the file if it does not exist. The touch utility does not treat this as an error. No error messages are displayed and the exit value is not affected. -f Attempt to force the update, even if the file permissions do not currently permit it. -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the times of the link itself rather than the file that the link points to. Note that -h implies -c and thus will not create any new files. -m Change the modification time of the file. The access time of the file is not changed unless the -a flag is also specified. -r Use the access and modifications times from the specified file instead of the current time of day. -t Change the access and modification times to the specified time. The argument should be in the form ``[[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]'' where each pair of letters represents the following: CC The first two digits of the year (the century). YY The second two digits of the year. If ``YY'' is specified, but ``CC'' is not, a value for ``YY'' between 69 and 99 results in a ``CC'' value of 19. Otherwise, a ``CC'' value of 20 is used. MM The month of the year, from 1 to 12. DD the day of the month, from 1 to 31. hh The hour of the day, from 0 to 23. mm The minute of the hour, from 0 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 0 to 61. If the ``CC'' and ``YY'' letter pairs are not specified, the values default to the current year. If the ``SS'' letter pair is not specified, the value defaults to 0. DIAGNOSTICS
The touch utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
utimes(2) COMPATIBILITY
The obsolescent form of touch, where a time format is specified as the first argument, is supported. When no -r or -t option is specified, there are at least two arguments, and the first argument is a string of digits either eight or ten characters in length, the first argument is interpreted as a time specification of the form ``MMDDhhmm[YY]''. The ``MM'', ``DD'', ``hh'' and ``mm'' letter pairs are treated as their counterparts specified to the -t option. If the ``YY'' letter pair is in the range 39 to 99, the year is set to 1939 to 1999, otherwise, the year is set in the 21st century. HISTORY
A touch utility appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. STANDARDS
The touch utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') specification. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD