Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ping with timestamp
Operating Systems Solaris Ping with timestamp Post 302525529 by type8code0 on Friday 27th of May 2011 03:12:38 AM
Old 05-27-2011
Ping with timestamp

Hi,

Is there any way to use a ping utility in Solaris with timestamp is printed? I've found a few tools on windows where we can ping with timestamp, but I'm not sure with Solaris.

Reference:
Network Security Engineer's Notes: Timestamp ping

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

conversion of different timestamp to standard timestamp

hi i need a scrit to convert one date format to another. for example i have three columns in a file which gets a different format, but lastly i want output with stadard timestamp as "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss" column1 column2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dprakash
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a relative timestamp from timestamp stored in a file

Hi, I've a file in the following format 1999-APR-8 17:31:06 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:15 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:25 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:30 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:55 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:32:06 1500 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying files with a timestamp greater than a given timestamp

I need to be able to identify files with file timestamps greater than a given timestamp. I am using the following solution, although it appears to compare files at the "seconds" granularity and I need it at the milliseconds. When I tested my solution, it missed files that had timestamps... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkm0brm
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ping + timestamp + selected response

Hello All, i would like to start ping command and the result should contain also Timestate. this i'm able to do with following command : ping HOSTNAME | perl -nle 'print scalar(localtime), " ", $_' or ping HOSTNAME | awk '/time\=(+\.{2}) ms /^+ bytes from / { "date" | getline pong;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ob3l1x
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check timestamp in logfile and display lines upto 3 hours before current timestamp

Hi Friends, I have the following logfile. Currently time in india is 07/31/2014 12:33:34 and i have the following content in logfile. I want to display only those entries which contain string 'Exception' within last 3 hours. In this case, it would be the last line only I can get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX : Need to convert UNIX Timestamp to normal timestamp

Hello , I am working on AIX. I have to convert Unix timestamp to normal timestamp. Below is the file. The Unix timestamp will always be preceded by EFFECTIVE_TIME as first field as shown and there could be multiple EFFECTIVE_TIME in the file : 3.txt Contents of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies

9. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp

So basically I have a log file and each line in this log file starts with a timestamp: MON DD HH:MM:SS SEP 15 07:30:01 I need to grep all the lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp. Then these lines will be moved to a tmp file from which I will grep for particular strings. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
nis_ping(3NSL)					       Networking Services Library Functions					    nis_ping(3NSL)

NAME
nis_ping, nis_checkpoint - NIS+ log administration functions SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lnsl [ library ... ] #include <rpcsvc/nis.h> void nis_ping(nis_name dirname, uint32_t utime, nis_object *dirobj); nis_result *nis_checkpoint(nis_name dirname); DESCRIPTION
nis_ping() is called by the master server for a directory when a change has occurred within that directory. The parameter dirname identi- fies the directory with the change. If the parameter dirobj is NULL, this function looks up the directory object for dirname and uses the list of replicas it contains. The parameter utime contains the timestamp of the last change made to the directory. This timestamp is used by the replicas when retrieving updates made to the directory. The effect of calling nis_ping() is to schedule an update on the replica. A short time after a ping is received, typically about two min- utes, the replica compares the last update time for its databases to the timestamp sent by the ping. If the ping timestamp is later, the replica establishes a connection with the master server and request all changes from the log that occurred after the last update that it had recorded in its local log. nis_checkpoint() is used to force the service to checkpoint information that has been entered in the log but has not been checkpointed to disk. When called, this function checkpoints the database for each table in the directory, the database containing the directory and the transaction log. Care should be used in calling this function since directories that have seen a lot of changes may take several minutes to checkpoint. During the checkpointing process, the service will be unavailable for updates for all directories that are served by this machine as master. nis_checkpoint() returns a pointer to a nis_result structure. See nis_tables(3NSL). This structure should be freed with nis_freeresult(). See nis_names(3NSL). The only items of interest in the returned result are the status value and the statistics. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nislog(1M), nis_names(3NSL), nis_tables(3NSL), nisfiles(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 18 Dec 2001 nis_ping(3NSL)