Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Housekeeping Not Working
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Housekeeping Not Working Post 302525288 by DGPickett on Thursday 26th of May 2011 09:36:31 AM
Old 05-26-2011
Files in subdirectories may be newer than the parent dir, so this sounds insufficient and dangerous. Most go by mtime not ctime.

But, if your situation is that the files and subdirs are laid down just after the directory is created, that is OK. Using -depth seems like a waste, and + from {} is faster. Note that if rm returns not zero, because it cannot remove something due to permissions, find stops.

Does your script have a good #!path-to-shell as line 1, and chmod executable? It may be running under a different shell in the scheduler.

Last edited by DGPickett; 05-26-2011 at 11:06 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

housekeeping

hey, I have to write a housekeeping script which would delete any files which are more than 10 days old, the file is named in such a fashion MYTEST20060101_182239.txt MYXML20060112_182879.xml MYEXCEL20060113_546321.xls If the current date is 20060112, then MYTEST20060101_182239.txt will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script not working in cron but working fine manually

Help. My script is working fine when executed manually but the cron seems not to catch up the command when registered. The script is as follow: #!/bin/sh for file in file_1.txt file_2.txt file_3.txt do awk '{ print "0" }' $file > tmp.tmp mv tmp.tmp $file done And the cron... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Housekeeping script

I have a directory ( eg. /tmp , there are many files in it , I would like to do the houskeeping job , can advise how to develop a script to do the following . 1) if the files are elder than 10 days in this directory , the extension is .txt , then move it to /tmp/tmp-txt , the same , if the files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating pbrun /bin/su not working, whenever manually it is working using putty

I am trying to automate a script where I need to use pbrun /bin/su but for some reason it is not passing thru the pbrun as my code below. . ~/.bash_profile pbrun /bin/su - content c h 1 hpsvn up file path I am executing this from an external .sh file that is pointing to this scripts file... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorgejac
14 Replies

5. HP-UX

Problems after filesystem housekeeping

I have noticed that after I clear up the /var filesystem, there are always problems. Does deleting the OLDsyslog.log file cause problems like missing directories and problems accessing crontabs? There were two situations where I faced problems. 1) Deleted OLDsyslog.log (Of course I created... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working web service call not working with curl

Hello, Newbie here, I have a perfectly well working web service call I can issue from chrome (PC Windows 10) and get the results I want (a dimmer being turned on in Fibaro Home Center 2 at level 40) I am not allowed to post urls but the below works with http and :// and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abigbear
3 Replies

7. AIX

Housekeeping null 2>&1 in /dev

Hello, Does anyone know how to housekeeping the null 2>&1 file in /dev? its fill up my system, please help. Thanks :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: only
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Space Utilization in HTML format working in one environment and not working on the other

Hi Team, I have written the shell script which returns the result of the disk space filesystems which has crossed the threshold limit in HTML Format. Below mentioned is the script which worked perfectly on QA system. df -h | awk -v host=`hostname` ' BEGIN { print "<table border="4"... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harihsun
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[Tip] Housekeeping Tasks Made Easy - User Home directories and Leftover Files

We have regularly questions about how to create users and user accounts. But regularly user accounts need to be deleted too. It is quite easy to delete the user account itself but usually the HOME directory of the user remains. It is good style to remove these directories but simply deleting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
3 Replies
fixman(1M)																fixman(1M)

NAME
fixman - fix manpages for faster viewing with man command SYNOPSIS
alt-path] DESCRIPTION
The command is a shell script that processes manpages in the directories to unexpand spaces to tabs where possible, and to remove all char- acter-backspace pairs (which usually exist to cause overstriking or underscoring for printer output). Removal of unnecessary character sequences improves the speed of man(1), and reduces disk space consumption. The command should be run after using to create formatted, manpages from unformatted, source files (see catman(1M)). By default, searches for subdirectories in the following parent directories in the order indicated: o o o If the environment variable is set, the directory paths specified by are searched instead of the default. See environ(5) for a description of the environment variable. The command does not remove duplicate blank lines. Thus, all files remain a multiple of one page (66 lines) long and can still be passed directly to (see lp(1)). (Note that man(1) normally uses to accomplish this removal.) To ensure success, should be run by a user who has appropriate privileges. It will take awhile to complete depending on system speed, load, memory size, etc. As a side-effect, file ownerships and permissions may be changed. Options Perform actions based on the given alternate root. With this option, alt-path will be prepended to all directory paths, including default paths or the paths defined by EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables if set, defines the directories to be searched for manpages. WARNINGS
If the value of is not the same while is running as it was when was run or when manpage files were installed, some files may be missed and not processed (see catman(1M)). EXAMPLES
Run fixman from a server to fix the manpages on a diskless under the alternate root This will fix manpages in directories under: FILES
Directories containing [compressed] nroff(1)-formatted versions of manpages AUTHOR was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
catman(1M), chmod(1), expand(1), lp(1), man(1), mv(1), sed(1), environ(5). fixman(1M)