Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Write Awk output to a file , inside script. Post 302523392 by sp999 on Wednesday 18th of May 2011 07:12:38 PM
Old 05-18-2011
Write Awk output to a file , inside script.

Hi,
Can anyone please help me with this issue.

I have a Awk command which take file as input, and provides the output having multiple lines, its working in command mode, but not if i plug it in script.
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
infile=a.txt
outfile=b.txt

awk '
BEGIN{
        FS=OFS="|";ORS = "\n";
        print "ID","Col_Name","Value"
}
!(NR-2){
        split($0,l,FS);
        next
}
{
        for(o=1;++o<NF;)
        {
                split($o,_,",");
                for(O=0;O++<asort(_);)
                {
                        print $1,l[o],_[O]
                }
        }
}' $infile > $outfile

Can anyone please let me know how to get the whole output of awk command transferred to outfile.

Thanks
S

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags

Last edited by Scott; 05-18-2011 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get the output of a grep command to a file inside a shell script

hi, i wat to get the output of a grep command in a file. but when i am trying out the same grep command in the unix prompt its working fine.. i am getting the output properly.. but when i am writing the same command inside my shell script , its just creating a new output file with no contents... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to redirect the output of a grep command to a file inside a shell script

hi, i wat to get the output of a grep command in a file. but when i am trying out the same grep command in the unix prompt its working fine.. i am getting the output properly.. but when i am writing the same command inside my shell script , its just creating a new output file with no contents... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write output to a file using Korn shell script

All, Can anyone please help me with the below scenario in korn shell script. Can anyone please give me some hints to proceed on this. I have a Flat file of the below format. Input file format:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sp999
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk script to run a sql and print the output to an output file

Hi All, I have around 900 Select Sql's which I would like to run in an awk script and print the output of those sql's in an txt file. Can you anyone pls let me know how do I do it and execute the awk script? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adept
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output to file - inside a script ?

I'm using the following script to check cisco router health and I'd like to save output to a file, vty_runcmd.sh > /check/check-cisco-health script works and output is saved to a file. However using it in crontab file is created but output is not printed inside it. In crontab, */5 * * * *... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmellata
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - read from a file and write conditional output

I have a file, which has '|' as separator; I need to read each line from that file and produce output to another file. While reading, I have certain condition on few specific columns (like column3 ='good'); only those lines will be processed. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Not able to write SQL query output in to .csv file with shell script.

I am trying to write SQL query output into a .csv file. But in the output columns are displaying in different lines instead of coming in one line. Main Code shell script: this is my code: #!/bin/bash file="db_detail.txt" . $file rm /batch/corpplan/bin/dan.csv... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepgoli53
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a Boolean variable which succeed and failed inside the if loop in shell script ?

I have if loop with multiple variable value check in if loop. How can i print only if loop satisfied variable and its value in shell script ? I dont want to check each variable in if loop. That makes my script larger. if ] then echo "Only satisfied variable with value" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince1987
3 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - Makes a transcript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [file] The script command makes a transcript of everything printed on your terminal. OPTIONS
Appends the transcript to file rather than writing it to file. OPERANDS
The name of an output file that will contain the transcript of the session. If this parameter is omitted, the file typescript is written. DESCRIPTION
The transcript is written to file, or appended to file if the -a option is given. If no file name is given, the transcript is saved in the file typescript. The script ends when the forked shell exits. This program is useful when you are using a CRT and want a hard-copy record of the dialog (for example, a technical writer might create an example of a working session this way). If you specify the -a option and the file does not exist, it is created. If you do not specify the -a option and the file exists, it is replaced. RESTRICTIONS
The script command requires a streams based terminal. In single user mode, streams may not be enabled. Under these circumstances, script will exit with no action. If you are the superuser and need to run this command in single user mode, use the following special instruc- tions. Enabling Streams If it is necessary to enable a streams environment in the single user mode, enter the command /sbin/init.d/streams. This command is avail- able to the superuser only. SEE ALSO
Commands: autopush(8), cat(1), echo(1), strsetup(8), tee(1) System Administration script(1)