Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a syllable concordance Post 302522295 by Skrynesaver on Saturday 14th of May 2011 08:05:52 AM
Old 05-14-2011
Ahh, come on now, do some work here Smilie

The supplied code doesn't read the command line but opens two files by name, 'Corpus' and 'Syllables' , you could change these to
Code:
 $ARGV[0]

and
Code:
 $ARGV[1]

if you wished to supply the answers on the command line.
Code:
cat Corpus;echo '_____________';cat Syllables;echo '_____________'; perl nested_loop.pl;echo '_____________';cat nested_loop.pl 
cat
bracken
amaze
chai
chai wasn't matched in the supplied corpus

use strict;   # These two lines save you endless trouble 
use warnings; # without them typos and such errors get missed

open (my $corpus_file, '<', 'Corpus'); # Created a test corpus with just the contained lines
$/="\r\n"; # Again with the DOS files
chomp(my @corpus = (<$corpus_file>));  # Load the corpus file into an array for faster access
open (my $syllables_file, '<', 'Syllables');
while(<$syllables_file>){
    chomp(my $syllable = $_);
    my $found = 0;
    for my $word (@corpus){
        if ( $word =~ /$syllable/){  # use a regular expression to find a match for the syllable
            print "$syllable=$word\n";
            $found = 1;
            last; #Stop processing the array of words as we have an example
        }
    }
    print "$syllable wasn't matched in the supplied corpus\n" if (! $found);
}

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

CREATING A SYLLABLE CONCORDANCE WITH POSITIONAL VARIANTS

Hello, Some time back I had posted a request for a syllable concordance in which if a syllable was provided in a file, the program would extract a word from a file entitled "Corpus" matching that syllable. The program was The following script was provided which did the job and for which I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syllable splitter in Perl

Hello, I am a relative newbie and want to split Names in English into syllables. Does anyone know of a perl script which does that. Since my main area is linguistics, I would be happy to add rules to it and post the perl script back for other users. I tried the CPan perl modules but they don't... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a clustering concordance for a Perso-Arabic script

I am working on a database of a language using Arabic Script. One of the major issues is that the shape of the characters changes according to their initial, medial or final positioning. Another major issue is that of the clustering of vowels within the word: the clustering changes totally the... (9 Replies)
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying an awk script for syllable splitting

I have found this syllable splitter in awk. The code is given below. Basically the script cuts words and names into syllables. However it fails when the word contains 2 consonants which constitute a single syllable. An example is given below ashford raphael The output is as under: ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Syllable count mismatch

Hello, I have written a syllable splitter for Pseudo English and Indic. I have a large database with the following structure Syllables in Pseudo English delimited by |=Syllables in Devanagari delimited by | The tool produces syllables in both scripts. An example is given below: ... (2 Replies)
2 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)