Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD FreeBSD abnormal permission changes in /home Post 302521364 by Celtic_Monkey on Wednesday 11th of May 2011 04:38:10 AM
Old 05-11-2011
Very strange.... is the / home directory nfs shared (or mounted) elsewhere? is it subject to access by any other system (for backup purposes etc) that could possibly be changing permissions.

I'm thinking along the similar lines or un-tarring source code where the user/groupid is numerical because the source user doesn't exist on the local system. does the userid "192382" in your example exist on another system?

just stabbing in the dark here...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Abnormal Termination errors

I'm having trouble with Abnormal Termination errors. What are they, what causes them and how can I prevent them from happening? Are they application specific? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bialsibub
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Abnormal Inact Memory

Hello, have a look my top and ps as below Inact memory reach 1.6G, does it normal ? load averages: 0.07, 0.02, 0.01; up 7+06:48:52 02:58:01 91 processes: 2 running, 89 sleeping CPU states: 0.0% user, 0.0% nice, 0.4% system, 0.0% interrupt, 99.6% idle Memory: 24M... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jipznet1981
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ssh home directory permission

Hi All, I am using sftp to transfer files between two unix machines. As per my knowledge, in order to use public key authentication, the remote user's home directory permission should be set to 750 ( basically group and others should not have write permission ). Is there any way to over ride... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shihabvk
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root cannot change /home permission

Folks; I'm a root but i couldn't change /home directory permission or group. i'm getting operation not permitted. Any help? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display the permission of the home directory

can anyone tell me how to display the permissions of a users home directory. can i use ls -l but it only gives the permissions of the files and directories inside the directory..:confused::confused::confused::confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadman123
9 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Opinions on Internal SCSI Tape Drives for FreeBSD home server?

Any recommend manufacturers for an internal SCSI tape drive in my FreeBSD 7.0 home server? Besides RAID-1, I'm not backing-up, but man, are they expensive! What makes a tape drive so darn pricy? There is no way I can afford a new drive so I'll start looking on eBay and craigslist to see if there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aaron Van
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

about the access permission of users home directory

RHEL5.0 As we know, when root create a new user, a new home directory will be created : /home/user I want to know what determine the access permission of /home/user . Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

could not able change permission of /home dir

Hi i am new to this admin area . i have created user with name as "ab" and gave home dir as /home/ab . when i tried to create the /home/ab dir , i got he following error. "mkdir: Failed to make directory "/home/ab"; Operation not applicable " Thanks in advance . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: expert
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting rid of abnormal Characters

i'm grepping for words in the /var/adm/messages (sun solaris). but it looks like while my grepping finds the strings, when it outputs them out, the beginning of some lines are chopped off. Jun 13 14:06:02 sky.net ufs: NOTICE: alloc: /prod: file system full 3 14:39:19 sky.net ufs: NOTICE:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/phpmy/html': Permission denied centos

for incompatibility installation problems, I've decided to reinstall Centos 6.3 as can be seem from the df output, I've partitioned both / and and /home directories $ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda8 12G 5.3G 6.5G 45% / tmpfs ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
2 Replies
MOUNT_SMBFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    MOUNT_SMBFS(8)

NAME
mount_smbfs -- mount a shared resource from an SMB file server SYNOPSIS
mount_smbfs [-N] [-o options] [-d mode] [-f mode] [-h] [-s] [-v] //[domain;][user[:password]@]server[/share] path DESCRIPTION
The mount_smbfs command mounts a share from a remote server using SMB/CIFS protocol. The options are as follows: -N Do not ask for a password. At run time, mount_smbfs reads the ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf file for additional configuration parameters and a password. If no password is found, mount_smbfs prompts for it. -o Options passed to mount(2) are specified with the -o option followed by a comma separated string of options. See the mount(8) man page for possible options and their meanings. Additional options supported by the mount_smbfs are as follows: nobrowse Indicate to the Carbon subsystem that this volume is not to be displayed to the user. automounted Set flags on the mountpoint to indicate that the volume has been mounted by the automounter. nostreams Don't use NTFS Streams even if they are supported by the server. soft Make the mount soft. Fail file system calls after a number of seconds. nonotification Turn off using notifications for this volume. -f mode, -d mode Specify permissions that should be assigned to files and directories. The values must be specified as octal numbers. Default value for the file mode is taken from mount point, default value for the directory mode adds execute permission where the file mode gives read permission. Note that these permissions can differ from the rights granted by SMB server. -h Prints a help message, much like the SYNOPSIS above. -s Force a new session to be created to the server. -v Prints version. //[domain;][user[:password]@] server[/share] The mount_smbfs command will use server as the NetBIOS name of remote computer, user as the remote user name and share as the resource name on a remote server. Domain and/or password may be specified here. If user is omitted the logged in user id will be used. Omitting share is an error when mount_smbfs is run from the command line, otherwise a browsing dialogue is presented. path Path to mount point. FILES
nsmb.conf Keeps static parameters for connections and other information. See man nsmb.conf for details. EXAMPLES
This example shows the proper url to use to mount the share PUBLIC from the SMB server myserver : mkdir /smb/public mount -t smbfs //username:userpass@myserver/PUBLIC /smb/public This example shows the proper url to use to mount the share PUBLIC from the SMB server myserver as guest: mkdir /smb/public mount -t smbfs //guest:@myserver/PUBLIC /smb/public Note: You should always use the system mount command and never call mount_smbfs directly. SEE ALSO
mount(2), nsmb.conf(5), mount(8), umount(8) BUGS
Please report bugs to Apple. AUTHORS
Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>, <bp@FreeBSD.org> FreeBSD March 10, 2000 FreeBSD