Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep sed and a loop
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep sed and a loop Post 302521308 by agama on Tuesday 10th of May 2011 10:32:32 PM
Old 05-10-2011
It sounds like you're working with a daemon's log file and if so you'll need to be careful. If you overlay the open log file, you'll stop seeing updates to the file as you will have unlinked the open file from the directory and replaced it with a static file that you marked up with hash (#) signs.

I think you have two choices:

1) use tail -f to read the log file and pipe the output through grep or awk to do what you need. This is probably easiest.

2) if your log file has timestamps then you can run your search periodically. With each run save the last time stamp in the log file, tuck it away in a /tmp file or something, and only process messages in the log that have a timestamp greater than the last one saved.

Small sample of using tail:
Code:
tail -f /var/log/foo | grep "Can not load CRL"  >capture-file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep in a loop

Hi , I am trying a script which takes user input userid . I am stuck how to check whether that is a valid user id or not in the audit log files. My code is : cd $CCP_AUDIT cat * > /export/home/$USR/l***/files echo "UserId:\c" read UserId #Date Function echo "DATE : \c" read xxx I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep -v while loop

alist contain: a b c d e blist contain: a b c the code: #!/usr/bin/ksh cat blist | while read line do grep -V "$line" alist > data done (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get lines started with matched strings using sed or grep for loop?

I have a huge file and want to separate it into several subsets. The file looks like: C1 C2 C3 C4 ... (variable names) 1 .... 2 .... 3 .... : 22 .... 23 .... I want to separate the huge file using the column 1, which has numbers from 1 to 23 (but there are different amount of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMBER
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep within while read loop

I have a key file $ cat klist 5 N:8855 CASA VERDE ROAD :32827 :ORLAND 5 N:585 MOLLY LANE :30189 :WOODST 5 N:320 NINA ROAD :32304 :TALLAH and a data file, see example of the line below: N:RT 15 & N 7TH STREET :17837 :U SAVE I need to search by key (2nd field) from klist... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep within a while loop

Hi all, I have the below script to get input but i cannot get grep to work. input1.txt AAAAAAAAG input2.txt >gi|184009.1| LEAFY-like |AAAAAAAAGSGGGDHLPY However, when i use grep -f input1.txt input2.txt i cannot get any output matches (note that the match is underlined). Is it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: turkishvan
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on grep in a do while loop

So this is what I'm trying to do: I have a file called registry.txt which has a list of registry entries I want to search for. I have another file called inctrl.txt on which I want to perform the search on. Here's the example contents of registry.txt SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r4v3n
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

using grep in a while loop

Hello everybody, I have been searching it, but it seems I am unable to find the correct information, that s why I am asking you guys, hoping somebody get an idea. Here is my problem : I want a script to loop until a string is identified in a log file. Here is the script : #!/bin/sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guyiom
5 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

GREP loop

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I need to search through the users home directories for keywords, display them. The code listed below will show... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcllns1
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep command in a loop

Hello - I am running a script that is outputting to a log. Let call it output.log I would like to monitor that log until the line "Build Successful" is found. I think I would need to use the grep command. How would I do that in a loop? Thanks Marty (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MSpeare
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps ax with grep in loop

Hello, I have built the following script to check if processes supplied by the argument are running or not. #!/bin/bash PROCLIST=$1 PROCESS="0" ERROR_PROCS="" IFS='+' read -ra ADDR <<< "$PROCLIST" for PROC in "${ADDR}"; do if ; then PROCESS=1 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
9 Replies
nislog(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                nislog(1M)

NAME
nislog - display the contents of the NIS+ transaction log SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/nislog [-h num | -t num] [-v] [directory...] DESCRIPTION
nislog displays the contents of the NIS+ server transaction log on the standard output. This command can be used to track changes in the namespace. The /var/nis/trans.log file contains the transaction log maintained by the NIS+ server. When updates occur, they are logged to this file and then propagated to replicas as log transactions. When the log is checkpointed, updates that have been propagated to the replicas are removed. The nislog command can only be run on an NIS+ server by superuser. It displays the log entries for that server only. If directory is not specified, the entire log is searched. Otherwise, only those logs entries that correspond to the specified directories are displayed. OPTIONS
-h num Display num transactions from the ``head'' of the log. If the numeric parameter is 0, only the log header is displayed. -t num Display num transactions from the ``tail'' of the log. If the numeric parameter is 0, only the log header is displayed. -v Verbose mode. FILES
/var/nis/trans.log transaction log ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), rpc.nisd(1M), nisfiles(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nislog(1M)