Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Complete Newbie looking for advice Post 302520093 by Perderabo on Thursday 5th of May 2011 07:31:51 PM
Old 05-05-2011
Since you already know windows, you might try for a job as a workstation support person in a larger company than also has unix and linux. Then try to get more involved in unix. There are people in our Unix group who followed that path. Being cross-trained in multiple platforms can be a real plus.
This User Gave Thanks to Perderabo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Complete Newbie Question

I am in a test environment where i need to test several versions of UNIX, such as linux, solaris, SCO (ODT and Unixware). What i would like to know is there a universal way to work with the contents of a floppy diskette? I know some give you dos-like commands, but am looking for a way to access and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dpinion
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

complete newbie

ok so i am trying redhat linux and i create a partiton and install it no worries then i start and i cant access any of my other drives i can mount cd roms and floppies so i am logged in as root what i want to do is mount the following drives drive 1 ide partition 2 drive 2 to 5 seen... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidjk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A complete Unix Newbie

I would like to know if I should install unix over a windows 98. I want to use a home computer to host websites right now, but I know how much Windows likes resources ;) So, my question is... Should I get a Unix OS? If no, then do not read more and just reply :) If yes, then, which one? How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afinita
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need advice

i am currently running windows vista home premium, i want to install unix because i just started a computer programing course, i am just wondering if i install unix will i still have vista?? how does it work? will i get a choice of which os to run on system startup?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naner9
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Any advice would help

Hi everyone. I must admit up front that I am not very strong when it comes to Linux. I am actually a Windows guy, but don't let that count against me. :) I work for a very small company so we do not have a Server/Linux Admin on staff. Most of our needs have been handled by our WebHost. We have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liquidstyleb
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH complete-filename & menu-complete together

Hi, Does anyone know how to make BASH provide a list of possible completions on the first tab, and then start cycling through the possibilites on the next tab? Right now this is what I have in my .bashrc: bind "set show-all-if-ambiguous on" bind \\C-o:menu-complete This allows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mithu
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie

Hi, I am new to programming and also to perl..But i know 'perl' can come to my rescue, But I am stuck at many places and need help..any small help is much appreciated... below is the description of what i intend to acheive with my script. I have a files named in this format... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xytiz
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complete Newbie requiring help

Greetings Just joined this forum and a complete newbie. So please be gentle :) I've never really scripted before nor had a project where I required to write some code. However I have a large project which I am currently doing by manually. I was wondering if someone could help me determine... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoops
4 Replies
WRITE(1)							   User Commands							  WRITE(1)

NAME
write - send a message to another user SYNOPSIS
write user [ttyname] DESCRIPTION
Write allows you to communicate with other users, by copying lines from your terminal to theirs. When you run the write command, the user you are writing to gets a message of the form: Message from yourname@yourhost on yourtty at hh:mm ... Any further lines you enter will be copied to the specified user's terminal. If the other user wants to reply, they must run write as well. When you are done, type an end-of-file or interrupt character. The other user will see the message EOF indicating that the conversation is over. You can prevent people (other than the super-user) from writing to you with the mesg(1) command. Some commands, for example nroff(1) and pr(1), may disallow writing automatically, so that your output isn't overwritten. If the user you want to write to is logged in on more than one terminal, you can specify which terminal to write to by specifying the ter- minal name as the second operand to the write command. Alternatively, you can let write select one of the terminals - it will pick the one with the shortest idle time. This is so that if the user is logged in at work and also dialed up from home, the message will go to the right place. The traditional protocol for writing to someone is that the string `-o', either at the end of a line or on a line by itself, means that it's the other person's turn to talk. The string `oo' means that the person believes the conversation to be over. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), who(1) HISTORY
A write command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The write command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux March 1995 WRITE(1)