Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: $RANDOM question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers $RANDOM question Post 302520038 by Perderabo on Thursday 5th of May 2011 04:12:15 PM
Old 05-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdym
I think that code works perfectly...
So do I.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

random in ksh

hello I must to create a ksh script to give a random password with letter, number, and 8 digits. I can't use the random command with ksh, there is a similar command ? thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random

My problem is as follow and i hope you can help: I currently have this function: stored_word() { number=$RANDOM let "number %= 21" case $number in 0 ) echo "energy" ;; 1 ) echo "touch" ;; 2 ) echo "climbing" ;; 3 ) echo "declare" ;; 4 ) echo "marry" ;; 5 ) echo "relax" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: keyvan
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random command

I am trying to select one random word from a file, any ideas on how to do this as i have only manged to generete the random number? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melaz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

$random

I need to use the $RANDOM command to get a line from a list of lines in a file randomly. file is help go three house film how do i randomly get one word without looking into the file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: relle
6 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

random RAM question

Random question. 32 bit windows can't address more the 4 gb of RAM, right. So if you have 4gb of “normal” RAM and 1 gb graphics card window only find 3gb of “normal” ram + your graphics card following on from this If you where to put 2 graphics card with 2gb of ram on them each,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: THM
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random fields

Hi, there folks! Well, trying again to build exercises for my students I come across the following idea. Inputfile: csv with two fields (f1 and f2) separated by a tab. Each field contains half a sentence, which added to the one contained in the other field forms a complete sentence (s), so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

random words

Hi there folks, for an exercise for my pupils (you know i am always thinking of them!) i need to randomly re-arrange the words (blank space separated) in a sentence (a line in a textfile). Any inspiration?? Txk so much. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
9 Replies

8. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random ordering

1 2 4 5 3 I would like to use a script so that i can randomly rearrange these numbers such as 3 5 2 4 1 Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)