Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cross checking two files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cross checking two files Post 302519563 by Yagami on Wednesday 4th of May 2011 09:43:36 AM
Old 05-04-2011
Hi,

Are you trying to match the content of file also?

Otherwise below code will work

#!/bin/bash
file1count=`cat file1 | wc -l`
file2count=`cat file2 | wc -l`
echo File1 $file1count
echo File2 $file2count

you can modify this code if you want to pass file name as argument.

Thanks,
Yagami

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking for files on ftp...

I have automated my ftp session as given in on of the previous threads as: #! /usr/bin/ksh HOST=remote.host.name USER=whoever PASSWD=whatever exec 4>&1 ftp -nv >&4 2>&4 |& print -p open $HOST print -p user $USER $PASSWD print -p cd directory print -p binary print -p get xyz wait... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jithinravi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to login into another ip and checking for the files

Hi All, Good Day. need one help regarding unix script. i have to check whether the particular file is there or not in another ip address. suppose....there is file in this ip address 2.160.64.130 in particualar location. i have to veify this from another ip adress(Say 2.160.64.131).if the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saikumar_n
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

files cross over

I have many files (File 1, File 2, File 3, ...) in same directory. The format of all these files are same. What I would like to do is to combine all these files into a single file via cross over. Example) >>File 1 look like this. f1 01 1.0 f1 02 2.0 f1 03 3.0 f1 04 4.0 f1 05 5.0 f1 06... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jae
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking files extension

Hi, I need one line command to display all files that ends with .scr. Example: In a directory I have 10 files, out of that 4 files have filetype extension .dat and 4 files with .scr and 2 files with .txt.... In this i want to display only files that ends with .scr. I tried some commands,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking thorough files and renamingit

hi all am very new to unix scripting..... i have a work right now that i should complete by End of Day :( scenario is i get some x number of files with .csv extension on a specified path at my operating system. the names of the files are as follows . the record lay out is same... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_tns
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk cross-referencing between two files

I need to make my sloppy, existing code (non awk) more efficient and I seem to be terrible with awk :wall: I've tried around quite a bit, maybe you guys can conjure up a quick solution... file1: 2 SOL 563 2 SOL 565 3 SOL 589 2 SOL 603 1 SOL 612 1 SOL 621... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: origamisven
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cross complie linux make files onto a windows 7 machine using PGI Cygwin

Hello, I am very unfamiliar with linux/unix (don't even know the difference), but am trying to get some linux software to run on my Windows machine for my research. I have the makefiles for the software, and it is designed to be compiled in the PGI complier, which I also have. When i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: roba87
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking dir and files!

Hi Guys, I wrote a code which checks for the text and directory. If the path is incorrect than it should echo that particular path not found. I can create a different if statments but I want to do this in just one if statment with the use of "or" (||). I have succssfully executed this code but now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking in a directory how many files are present and basing on that merge all the files

Hi, My requirement is,there is a directory location like: :camp/current/ In this location there can be different flat files that are generated in a single day with same header and the data will be different, differentiated by timestamp, so i need to verify how many files are generated... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
10 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-belnstuv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command-line order. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, cat reads from the standard input. If file is a UNIX domain socket, cat connects to it and then reads it until EOF. This complements the UNIX domain binding capability available in inetd(8). The options are as follows: -b Number the non-blank output lines, starting at 1. -e Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line. -l Set an exclusive advisory lock on the standard output file descriptor. This lock is set using fcntl(2) with the F_SETLKW command. If the output file is already locked, cat will block until the lock is acquired. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display tab characters as '^I'. -u Disable output buffering. -v Display non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ASCII characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (e.g., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), more(1), pr(1), sh(1), tail(1), vis(1), zcat(1), fcntl(2), setbuf(3) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-belnstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! The cat utility does not recognize multibyte characters when the -t or -v option is in effect. BSD
January 29, 2013 BSD