Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming writing to file is not readable by user Post 302518365 by DGPickett on Friday 29th of April 2011 12:03:37 PM
Old 04-29-2011
Looks good, but maybe the file was already there chmod 200 ? Man Page for open (All Section 2) - The UNIX and Linux Forums

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Core file without a readable stack trace

I am using gdb to examine a core file but the output contains only the method addresses in hex. Is there anyway to translate these addresses to a human-readable form? :confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciregbu
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

file in malibox is readable format?

Hi, Files coming to mailbox are in readable format? Is there any special command to read these files. suppose i have sent a file like this megh$mailx -s "mesg" xyz@server.domain<file1.dat can xyz directly read the file from his mailbox? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting binary file to readable format in Ksh

In Unix/Ksh, when I try to look inside a file it says that the file may be a binary file and if I want to see it anyway. When i say 'yes', it shows me the content filled with unreadable symbols (looks like binary). Is there a command that I can run from the Unix prompt to convert/translate that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthurs
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make user's qutoa in human readable format?

$ quota Disk quotas for user cqlouis (uid 1254): Filesystem blocks quota limit grace files quota limit grace /dev/sdb1 64 300000 320000 8 0 0 $ I want to make the output of command quota in human readable format? How to? As we... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check whether file is readable or not in ksh

i want to check the readability of a file inside the script. when i use if then echo the file "$sourcef" is not readable else echo something fi i am getting the error : f: unknown test operator when i tried to check the availability with if i was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a file is not readable by anyone except the owner?

All, I have a script where I get a filename as input and do some processing with the file that I got as input. Requirement: Now I have a requirement where I need to check the following: If either of this goes wrong, the script should pop out a warning message. I tried searching the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if file is readable by others

hi all, in ksh script how do i detect if a file is readable by others ?? thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing to User-Specified File

Hi, I'm writing an awk script to remove redundant XML data. I plan on running the script with the following line: cat xmlFile.xml | awk -f scriptFile I want the user to be able to choose the filename that the slimmed down XML code is written to. All of the writing to the slimmed-file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeg90
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I make this file readable/printable?

When I do the file I get ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped I am almost 100% sure I was able to print a readable version of this file in the past but I cannot remember how. Is it possible to convert this file into something that can be read and or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fsanchez
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UNIX timestamp to readable format in the file

Hello I have a file : file1.txt with the below contents : 237176 test1 test2 1442149024 237138 test3 test4 1442121300 237171 test5 test7 1442112823 237145 test9 test10 1442109600 In the above file fourth field represents the timestamp in Unix format. I found a command which converts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies
WRITE(1)                                                    BSD General Commands Manual                                                   WRITE(1)

NAME
write -- send a message to another user SYNOPSIS
write user [tty] DESCRIPTION
The write utility allows you to communicate with other users, by copying lines from your terminal to theirs. When you run the write command, the user you are writing to gets a message of the form: Message from yourname@yourhost on yourtty at hh:mm ... Any further lines you enter will be copied to the specified user's terminal. If the other user wants to reply, they must run write as well. When you are done, type an end-of-file or interrupt character. The other user will see the message 'EOF' indicating that the conversation is over. You can prevent people (other than the super-user) from writing to you with the mesg(1) command. If the user you want to write to is logged in on more than one terminal, you can specify which terminal to write to by specifying the termi- nal name as the second operand to the write command. Alternatively, you can let write select one of the terminals - it will pick the one with the shortest idle time. This is so that if the user is logged in at work and also dialed up from home, the message will go to the right place. The traditional protocol for writing to someone is that the string '-o', either at the end of a line or on a line by itself, means that it is the other person's turn to talk. The string 'oo' means that the person believes the conversation to be over. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), wall(1), who(1) HISTORY
A write command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The sender's LC_CTYPE setting is used to determine which characters are safe to write to a terminal, not the receiver's (which write has no way of knowing). BSD February 13, 2012 BSD