Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ps -eaf gives inconsistent result Post 302518306 by ygemici on Friday 29th of April 2011 08:38:42 AM
Old 04-29-2011
I dont think the reason for this due to different o.s. actually it can be differ for when used in different shells or shell versions.
Try `which ksh` and compare version of kshs.
In your script, has used pipes. Maybe because of this, cause get different output in debug mode when in some kshs,
it writes as output it with unordered in ksh own internal buffer which probably caughted first command writes firstly it and after then others in pipes commas.

You can try to look output of ksh debug , add `sleep 1` your script after the `ps ..` command.

regards
ygemici

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Why are these inconsistent?

Hi I am using HP - UX... When I execute the below commands I get these results... Why do i get a different shell value when i run echo $SHELL? # echo $0 ksh # echo $SHELL sh # ps -p$$ PID TTY TIME COMMAND 4013 pts/7 0:00 ksh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurubarancse
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent variable assignment issue

I am using a piece of code which is working fine in some cases and is not working in some other instances. All I am doing is grep'ing and concatenating. Below is a working scenario. $ echo $var1 REPLYFILENAME=Options_NSE1.txt.enc $ FILE_NM=`echo ${var1##*=}`.gz (Take everything after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamjam10k
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

inconsistent cat output

Hi I'm executing a menu script in which I `cat a file` but it's giving different output some times. Following is the code fragment taken from my script. while true do cat procs.configured echo ---------separator-------------- sleep 3 done when I execute this code fragment, `cat` outputs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

inconsistent output using date()

I have an input list of: I am just trying to turn this list into its seconds since epoch "+%s" time equivalent. I'm trying to use the following, but every time I run the command it gives me different answers, they are close, but never the same... any clues as to why? xargs -I{} date -j -f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdlloyd7
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent column printing

Hi, I have a file that has inconsistently numbered columns. Like row1 has 23 columns, and row 2 has 34 columns etc. I would like to re-order the first 8 columns as required and from the 9th column till the end, I would like to print it as it is. I tried to read the re-ordered 8 columns... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Iostat inconsistent avgrq-sz

Hi Experts, I have an issue with performance of oracle, the db sits on EBS volumes on and aws EC2 instance. I have captured the iostat data and feed it to iostat_plotter to forward it to the DB administrators. However what I'm trying to understand is the variable avgrq-sz, it is quite in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare the current result with previous line result.?

Hi Gurus, I have requirement to compare current result with previous reuslt. The sample case is below. 1 job1 1 1 job2 2 1 job3 3 2 job_a1 1 2 job_a2 2 2 job_a3 3 3 job_b1 1 3 job_b2 2 for above sample file, GID is group ID, for input line, the job run... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ken6503
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Inconsistent disk information.

On one of the Unix server B.11.31. a disk that has been provisioned from the VMAX, but according to the diskinfo its show coming from clarion. sudo /opt/emc/SYMCLI/bin/symvg sho /dev/vg_<name> Volume Group Name : /dev/vg_<name> Volume Group Type : HP-UX LVM Volume Group State ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpatel786
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inconsistent results using sort function

Could you please advise on the following: I have two space-delimited files with 9 and 10 columns, respectively, with exactly the same values in column 1. However, the order of column 1 differs between the two files, so I want to sort both files by column 1, so that I can align them and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aberg
6 Replies
shell_builtins(1)                                                                                                                shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)