Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 3D effects on RHEL6 OC
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat 3D effects on RHEL6 OC Post 302516608 by mark54g on Sunday 24th of April 2011 11:47:32 AM
Old 04-24-2011
On RH 6 there's a bit of an issue installing the proprietary driver.

You must add the following to your /boot/grub/menu.lst file:
on a line that starts with: kernel /vmlinuz-2.6....
Code:
rdblacklist=nouveau

Then in the /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf file, add this line:

Code:
blacklist nouveau

You will then need to reboot.

After reboot you should go here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Download the appropriate driver for your adapter and architecture. Follow the instructions for installation. An additional reboot may be required.

Last edited by mark54g; 04-24-2011 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: clarity of where to add rdblacklist
This User Gave Thanks to mark54g For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Effects of grep -o when it's not available

I'm on a Solaris box that doesn't have -o as an option for grep (trying to return match only). Is there any way to get this functionality without the -o option? I've tried both sed and awk doing something like: echo "this is a test" | awk '/test/' or echo "this is a test | sed '/test/p'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
8 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Effects on data size during encrypted transfer

Hi There, I wonder if any one can help me. I want to transfer a file from one site to another over an encrypted link. I want to know if there will be any imcrease in the data that will travel on the link? For example, I want to transfer a 1 GB file from one site to another, using an encrypted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmerin
4 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Sound Effects Dolby,SRS in Linux

Hello all. Can anyone tell me if there is any alternative to Window$ Media Player for LINUX(Linux Mint). What am searching for is a player with sound processing capabilities.(Bass,Equaliser,SRS,Dolby,etc..) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolatt
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

3d effects in rhel6

I installed rhel 6.0 in my laptop but it is not upporting 3d graphics of rhel6 and i am getting an error message "Accelerated 3d graphics not available Desktop effects require hardware 3D support." my laptop is dll studio 1558 and my graphic card is ATI Radeon 5470 with 1 gb dedicated ram. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nileshgupta
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

Effects of /etc/fstab file!

Hi Folks! I accidentally overwrote in /etc/fstab file. Can you guys please tell me, what impact it would have created, when I restarted the machine(RHEL6). I executed this command : # blkid /dev/vda5 > /etc/fstab (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
17 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Ubuntu encryption and its effects

How will Full Disk encryption effect how open-source software is compiled and run using ubuntu 14.04. Are there alternatives that are recommended? Thank you :). (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Remove filter effects from downloaded videos?

Does anyone know a way to remove filter effects from videos downloaded from YouTube or elsewhere, preferably with software that runs in Windows 7? Thank you in anticipation. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quadphonic
1 Replies
REBOOT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot - reboot the system immediately SYNOPSIS
reboot [-f] DESCRIPTION
Reboot can be used to reboot the system after installing a new kernel. It does not inform the users, but does log it's actions in /usr/adm/wtmp and /usr/adm/authlog. The system is then rebooted with the reboot(2) systemcall. If the -f flag is not given then all processes are sent terminate signals to give them a chance to die peacefully before the reboot() call. If the wtmp file exists, reboot logs itself as if it were a shutdown. This is done to prevent last(1) from talking about system-crashes. Reboot is registered as is in the authlog file. Reboot can only be executed by the super-user. Any other caller will be refused, either by reboot(8) or by reboot(2). SEE ALSO
reboot(2), shutdown(8), halt(8), boot(8). BUGS
The error message's given by reboot are not always useful. There are several routines that can fail, but which are not fatal for the pro- gram. AUTHOR
Edvard Tuinder (v892231@si.hhs.NL) REBOOT(8)