Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing Post 302514850 by matrixmadhan on Monday 18th of April 2011 09:25:43 AM
Old 04-18-2011
Am trying to understand the points you have stated.
How is the notification mechanism handled? Is it email based or is it based on pub-sub model whether the notification and notification processing can be automated and be more real time.

Is this processing being extended a lot of hosts? Or is it just a single host for processing?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Background processes

How do you capture the return code from a background process? I am dumping data to a fifo and then processing it in a c program. I need to know that the sql finished successfully to ensure no missing data. Thanks. ex. sqlplus user/password < get_data.sql > data_fifo.txt & bin/process_data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: korndog
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling Stdout&StdErr for background jobs.

Hello Friends, sorry, i am not very familiar with Unix programming. Could you please help me on this? We have to start different components from a startup script. each components are started as below in the background in a startprocess function $nohup $file $args >>$logFile 2>&1 & ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinbush
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Handling Stdout&StdErr for background jobs.

Hello Friends, sorry, i am not very familiar with Unix programming. Could you please help me on this? We have to start different components from a startup script. each components are started as below in the background in a startprocess function $nohup $file $args >>$logFile 2>&1 & ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinbush
1 Replies

4. Linux

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process "as it happens" ? In the present scenario although Child2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent (p1) and 2 children child1 and child2 I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Processes

Ok guys so I have my first dummy shell almost done except for one tiny part: I do not know how to run a process in the background, from the code! I already know how to do that in a normal shell: $ program & However, no clue when it comes to how to program that thing. :eek: A very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Across
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on background processes

Hi, I have a schell script parent.ksh from which I am calling three background processes a.ksh,b.ksh and c.ksh. Once these three processes completes the next step in parent.ksh should execute. How to achieve this? Please help me.... Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravinunna
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Processing: Handling spaces in a line

Hi All, Iam trying to get a file processed and some lines have spaces...the below is not working Want to remove empty line Want to remove lines that start with # Avoid line with substring WHOA When trying to get the substring from the var also Iam having trouble file is like VAR=VALUE,... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script handling processes

Hello I have a file which has around 120 lines of commands. I am trying to write a shell script like which reads the 'command' file and executes line by line with some additional (common argument) with maximum 6 commands active at a time. Each of these commands when executed takes time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackyShane_36
5 Replies
biff(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  biff(1B)

NAME
biff - give notice of incoming mail messages SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/biff [y | n] DESCRIPTION
biff turns mail notification on or off for the terminal session. With no arguments, biff displays the current notification status for the terminal. If notification is allowed, the terminal rings the bell and displays the header and the first few lines of each arriving mail message. biff operates asynchronously. For synchronized notices, use the MAIL variable of sh(1) or the mail variable of csh(1). A `biff y' command can be included in your ~/.login or ~/.profile file for execution when you log in. OPTIONS
y Allow mail notification for the terminal. n Disable notification for the terminal. FILES
~/.login User's login file ~/.profile User's profile file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), mail(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 biff(1B)