Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question: Automatic launching of a CLI menu upon login (OpenBSD) Post 302514141 by lcxpics on Friday 15th of April 2011 12:36:21 AM
Old 04-15-2011
Java Question: Automatic launching of a CLI menu upon login (OpenBSD)

Hi all,

I am OpenBSD newbie and currently need to manage some OpenBSD firewalls running pf. The OpenBSD version is 4.8

As the other sys admins are not so familiar with OpenBSD, so I have an idea across in my mind on how to minimize the root account usage and other unnecessary access and make the configuration/change of OpenBSD firewalls easier.

Let say if the IT Admin would like to manage the firewall from either console or ssh and they don't need to su in to do some config:

OpenBSD/i386

login: user1
password: password1

after they inputted the password and click enter, there will be another menu coming out on the screen instead of normal shell prompt ($)

>>>Welcome to the OpenBSD, please choose the option to configure:
1>Configure/Change IP address and subnet mask
2>View ifconfig
3>Configure/Change default route
4>Add/Remove static route
5>View routing table
6>Add/Change Name Server IP address
7>Add/Modify pf rule
8>Check pfstatus
9>Backup OpenBSD pf config
10>Quit

I really have no idea how to do that and the users are not allowed to access ($) or (#) at all to minimize human error(eg: accidentally delete config file etc) My intention is only giving them the necessary access to do the daily job.

Have you guys ever done the task like what I would like to do?
Can you give me the direction and hints on how to do that?

Regards,
Stefan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

openbsd : cannot login

hi OK. I don't know exactly what I did to system! The system is OpenBSD 3.5. It is 200MMX, 16MB ram 1.2 + 2.4 GB HDD. The system was running well. But a few days ago I try to unpack a big tar.gz file and the system uses most the cpu and ram for this. While the system unpacking the file I try to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnoyan
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automatic time out of user login

I have asked by our security team to implement an automatic time out for user logins after a specified time interval. I have never heard of this feature in Unix before. Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this for HP-UX 11i? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic login script

Hi, I'm a beginner in unix.As a part of my script i need to remote logon using ssh. my script run as being asked for password and logons only after the user enters the password correctly. But my script stops executing after that as I login to a different server(different shell if i'm right).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayanand
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automatic login

Hello all, I need a script that can run an sftp session into a remote server, and retreive a file. Does anyone know how to pass in the user/password details in a script? I seem to have forgotten (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Automatic login

Hi, Boss I have a question.... BackGround: i have a shell name xxxLineInput.x the useage is: xxxLineInput.x -Txxx -Uxxx -Pxxx when i use the command line..can run normal. Target: i want to set automatic login, the mean is when i login the as the specifical... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: surainbow
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic login

I need a script that will let me connect to my hpux server with just a click of the icon without type my username and password. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tree740
5 Replies

7. Slackware

Automatic login without X

I know how to set up KDM or GDM to do automatic login, but is there a way to do it without GDM or KDM or X at all so when I start the machine I am immediately taken to a waiting command prompt? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic login at startup

Hi, how can I set my linux server that it logs in the main user at startup? I would like to be able to make a restart remotely and be able to connect to the server again afterwards. The problem is that the server waits for a login and than connects to the network. So at the beginning at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: borobudur
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Automatic Login to Desktop

On Solaris 11 is it possible to bypass the userid/password requirement to automatically login to the desktop ? I'm the sole user and it is really not necessary to secure the system. I have searched this forum and have not found a relevant post. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stansaraczewski
2 Replies

10. Web Development

Scheduling automatic Internet explorer login

Hi , I am using windows XP and IE8 I have my credentials stored for a website in internet explorer. I want to implement below scenario. I have entered both username/password for a website and left IE explorer open and locked my computer I want the computer to login in that website... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
1 Replies
MAKEWHATIS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     MAKEWHATIS(8)

NAME
makewhatis - index UNIX manuals SYNOPSIS
makewhatis [-aDnpQ] [-T utf8] [-C file] makewhatis [-aDnpQ] [-T utf8] dir ... makewhatis [-DnpQ] [-T utf8] -d dir [file ...] makewhatis [-Dnp] [-T utf8] -u dir [file ...] makewhatis [-DQ] -t file ... DESCRIPTION
The makewhatis utility extracts keywords from UNIX manuals and indexes them in a database for fast retrieval by apropos(1), whatis(1), and man(1)'s -k option. By default, makewhatis creates a database in each dir using the files mansection/[arch/]title.section and catsection/[arch/]title.0 in that directory. Existing databases are replaced. If a directory contains no manual pages, no database is created in that directory. If dir is not provided, makewhatis uses the default paths stipulated by man.conf(5). The arguments are as follows: -a Use all directories and files found below dir .... -C file Specify an alternative configuration file in man.conf(5) format. -D Display all files added or removed to the index. With a second -D, also show all keywords added for each file. -d dir Merge (remove and re-add) file ... to the database in dir. -n Do not create or modify any database; scan and parse only, and print manual page names and descriptions to standard output. -p Print warnings about potential problems with manual pages to the standard error output. -Q Quickly build reduced-size databases by reading only the NAME sections of manuals. The resulting databases will usually contain names and descriptions only. -T utf8 Use UTF-8 encoding instead of ASCII for strings stored in the databases. -t file ... Check the given files for potential problems. Implies -a, -n, and -p. All diagnostic messages are printed to the standard output; the standard error output is not used. -u dir Remove file ... from the database in dir. If that causes the database to become empty, also delete the database file. If fatal parse errors are encountered while parsing, the offending file is printed to stderr, omitted from the index, and the parse continues with the next input file. ENVIRONMENT
MANPATH A colon-separated list of directories to create databases in. Ignored if a dir argument or the -t option is specified. FILES
mandoc.db A database of manpages relative to the directory of the file. This file is portable across architectures and systems, so long as the manpage hierarchy it indexes does not change. /etc/man.conf The default man(1) configuration file. EXIT STATUS
The makewhatis utility exits with one of the following values: 0 No errors occurred. 5 Invalid command line arguments were specified. No input files have been read. 6 An operating system error occurred, for example memory exhaustion or an error accessing input files. Such errors cause makewhatis to exit at once, possibly in the middle of parsing or formatting a file. The output databases are corrupt and should be removed. SEE ALSO
apropos(1), man(1), whatis(1), man.conf(5) HISTORY
A makewhatis utility first appeared in 2BSD. It was rewritten in perl(1) for OpenBSD 2.7 and in C for OpenBSD 5.6. The dir argument first appeared in NetBSD 1.0; the options -dpt in OpenBSD 2.7; the option -u in OpenBSD 3.4; and the options -aCDnQT in OpenBSD 5.6. AUTHORS
Bill Joy wrote the original BSD makewhatis in February 1979, Marc Espie started the Perl version in 2000, and the current version of makewhatis was written by Kristaps Dzonsons <kristaps@bsd.lv> and Ingo Schwarze <schwarze@openbsd.org>. Debian May 17, 2017 MAKEWHATIS(8)