Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting smart search through find command Post 302512084 by Corona688 on Friday 8th of April 2011 10:56:32 AM
Old 04-08-2011
The find command searches for files, it doesn't search inside files.

---------- Post updated at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:54 AM ----------

I don't see anything about the seller in that line, so I don't know how you could expect anything to tell them apart without more information. Are there more lines of context that could help?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for hardlinks based on filename via find command

I am using command substitution into a find command in a script where I have built a menu to do a bunch of tasks within my unix account. When I choose the options for to find a file/files that have the same inode of the entered filename, ie hardlinks, nothing shows up. When I choose the appropiate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hunternjb
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search / Find / grep command ...

Is there any command, so I can retrieve all the records in a file from the first occurance of a search string, within that file? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String search - Command to find second occurance

Hi, I am new to Unix world. Is there any command which can directly return the second occurance of a particular string in a file? Basically, I want to read the contents of the file from the second occurance of a particualr string. Can be implemented using a loop, but am just wondering if there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhsinha23
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using find command for timestamp based search

Hi, I am writing a script where i need to list all the files that have a scecific timestamp. I get this time stamp from another file. Is it possible to do this with 'find' command? Please let me know your valuable inputs. Thanks Sunny. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunny_03
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the difference between the commands cd ~smart and cd ~/smart

Is it possible for both commands to work? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phunkypants
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

smart command history ?

Hi All. I am learning how to use command history in UNIX, and I got a basic question. Suppose I am in a "verylongpath" directory and I type "gedit thisfile". At a later stage, the command is accessible from the hystory, but it is useless if I have moved to another directory. The same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bruno69
1 Replies

7. Linux

Search only text files with 'find' command?

I've been using this to search an entire directory recursively for a specific phrase in my code (html, css, php, javascript, etc.): find dir_name -type f -exec grep -l "phrase" {} \; The problem is that it searches ALL files in the directory 'dir_name', even binary ones such as large JPEG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Collider
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed - find command for recursive search

Hi All I have a requirement to find the file that are most latest to be modified in each directory. Can somebody help with the command please? E.g of the problem. The directory A is having sub directory which are having subdirectory an so on. I need a command which will find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple search options in find command

Hi, I'd like find multiple file options to fetch different types of files. find /path...// -type f -name "*.log" -o -name "*.req" -o -name "*.txt" -mtime +5 -exec ls -l {} \; Where as in the above command only the last .txt files its retriving but not .log and .req files can body help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Y.balakrishna
1 Replies
SG(1)                                                              User Commands                                                             SG(1)

NAME
sg - execute command as different group ID SYNOPSIS
sg [-] [group [-c ] command] DESCRIPTION
The sg command works similar to newgrp but accepts a command. The command will be executed with the /bin/sh shell. With most shells you may run sg from, you need to enclose multi-word commands in quotes. Another difference between newgrp and sg is that some shells treat newgrp specially, replacing themselves with a new instance of a shell that newgrp creates. This doesn't happen with sg, so upon exit from a sg command you are returned to your previous group ID. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: SYSLOG_SG_ENAB (boolean) Enable "syslog" logging of sg activity. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
id(1), login(1), newgrp(1), su(1), gpasswd(1), group(5), gshadow(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 SG(1)