Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove Occurrences created with Uniq -c Post 302511829 by hobbiecat on Thursday 7th of April 2011 04:36:13 PM
Old 04-07-2011
Remove Occurrences created with Uniq -c

Hello,
I have "mastered" the counting of occurrences with uniq -c. Smilie
Now I need to keep that file neat and nice and remove only the occurrence number and the space after it.
Example:
Code:
1286456   aaa
164758     aab aaa 
112345     aac aaf

should be turned into:
Code:
aaa
aab aaa
aac aaf

I have tried without too much success "cut" and was pointed towards awk and sed, alas ... I am posting in the dummy section for a reason...

Code:
awk {'print $2'} foobar.txt > foobar_1.txt     #also removes the spaces included in the lines

And
Code:
sed 's/^\ \+[0-9]\+\ //' foobar.txt > foobar_1.txt[/I]  # does not work (I was told that I have FreeBSD and not GNU sed)

Does anyone could point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by Scott; 04-07-2011 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and remove rows from file where multi occurrences of character found

I have a '~' delimited file of 6 - 7 million rows. Each row should contain 13 columns delimited by 12 ~'s. Where there are 13 tildes, the row needs to be removed. Each row contains alphanumeric data and occasionally a ~ ends up in a descriptive field and therefore acts as a delimiter, resulting in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpd
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove files which created date before 10 days on HP-UX

Hi All, Could you please let me know if there is any one can help to create a shell script to remove some files which is the created date for them greate than 10 days (sysdate-10) Please try to email me on email removed Thanks in advance, Murad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murad_fayez
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remove lines from file where > 13 occurrences of character

I have a '~' delimited file of 6 - 7 million rows. Each row should contain 13 columns delimited by 12 ~'s. Where there are 13 tildes, the row needs to be removed. Each row contains alphanumeric data and occasionally a ~ ends up in a descriptive field and therefore acts as a delimiter, resulting... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpd
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How remove the file which was created by another user?

When I try to remove the file which was created by another user through super user, I am getting the "override protection 644 " meesage. Could you please anyone help me how will I delete the file without prmpting the override protection. I have also given the permission (rwx) to the group as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kandi.reddy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[uniq + awk?] How to remove duplicate blocks of lines in files?

Hello again, I am wanting to remove all duplicate blocks of XML code in a file. This is an example: input: <string-array name="threeItems"> <item>item1</item> <item>item2</item> <item>item3</item> </string-array> <string-array name="twoItems"> <item>item1</item> <item>item2</item>... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove all occurrences of a character at the beginning of a string

Hi there, i need some help to remove all occurrences of a certain character at the beginning of a string. Example: my string is 00102030 and i want to remove all zeros from beginning of string so the result is 102030 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to remove folders by date created

Hi All I require to generate a script that deletes folders and sub directoires from a set period after creation. So have folder X on a daily basis i have job folders being created folder name 1234568. What i need to do is keep this folder pruned. So say 7 days after creation of the job folder its... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show "uniq -c" results only for more than X occurrences

Say I have test.txt with the following data: user1 mailbox11 IP1 user1 mailbox12 IP2 user2 mailbox21 IP1 user3 mailbox31 IP1 user1 mailbox11 IP1 user1 mailbox11 IP1 user1 mailbox11 IP1 user1 mailbox12 IP2 user2 mailbox21 IP1 user2 mailbox21 IP1 user2 mailbox21 IP1 user2 mailbox21 IP1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: striker4o
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate occurrences of text pattern

Hi folks! I have a file which contains a 1000 lines. On each line i have multiple occurrences ( 26 to be exact ) of pattern folder#/folder#. # is depicting the line number in the file some text here folder1/folder1 some text here folder1/folder1 some text here folder1/folder1 some text... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can you do remove core file based on what created them :(

Hi, Currently, we have a Perl script from a third-party vendor that is generating core dumps. It has been reported. We can't turn off the script as it does generate some diagnostic file that's required. So at the moment, we have to let it continue to do its run. I wish I can say the vendor is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
8 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - report repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [ -udc [ +n ] [ -n ] ] [ input [ output ] ] DESCRIPTION
Uniq reads the input file comparing adjacent lines. In the normal case, the second and succeeding copies of repeated lines are removed; the remainder is written on the output file. Note that repeated lines must be adjacent in order to be found; see sort(1). If the -u flag is used, just the lines that are not repeated in the original file are output. The -d option specifies that one copy of just the repeated lines is to be written. The normal mode output is the union of the -u and -d mode outputs. The -c option supersedes -u and -d and generates an output report in default style but with each line preceded by a count of the number of times it occurred. The n arguments specify skipping an initial portion of each line in the comparison: -n The first n fields together with any blanks before each are ignored. A field is defined as a string of non-space, non-tab charac- ters separated by tabs and spaces from its neighbors. +n The first n characters are ignored. Fields are skipped before characters. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1) 7th Edition April 29, 1985 UNIQ(1)