Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD Mail not working and probably never has Post 302511320 by methyl on Wednesday 6th of April 2011 12:38:34 PM
Old 04-06-2011
@ctsgnb Creat link
Worth reading the first section:
Subject: M1) What is the default Mailer on UnixWare?

The error messages you are receiving suggest to me that this server is configured for uucp mail. Messages mention "/usr/bin/uux" which is part of the original AT&T unix communications package. The address format includes exclamation marks.

The transport for uucp does not have to be TCP/IP . Recommend you find out what you have go before changing settings.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail services not working

Hello, all. We currently have three UNIX boxes run Reliant Unix, a System V Release 4 variant. Mail can't be sent out of one of the boxes to anywhere outside the box. For a client we use the mail command. I am not sure how to determine the message transfer daemon that is running. When... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: petrosi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail command not working

hi all I am not able to send mail from unix box to my mail id. do i need to do any settings for that? when i issue this command:- mail -s "letter" <abc.txt the $ pompt goes away and the unix is on wait state. what should I do? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent -Please help me 'mail' option not working

Hi , I have already posted a post regarding this, but i didn't get my problem solve, so some body help me as it was urgent for me, my mail option is not working, when i send a mail, it is strucking in /var/spool/mqueue folder. and i am getting struck there itself, i see below two files are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mars_girish9
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail command not working

Hi I am trying to runmail command to send some text to my email id. But its getting hanged up. Not sure what is the problem. Please help. mail -s "testing" abc@somearess.com Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
1 Replies

5. AIX

Why is mail not working?

I've configured sendmail.cf file and sent a test. Failed. /var/adm/messages log file showed "Unknown Domain" error. Added my domain to the sendmail.cf file and error went away but I still don't receive messages. And now there's no errors in the log file to point to another issue. mailx -s "This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail function - script not working

#!/bin/bash { m() $mail='("$someemail@gmail.com ", Cc:"$me" -t, Subject:"$emailmyself" -s, $someinputfile")' } what I am trying to do is create a function have it load when type the letter "m" so all have to do type an address after it send email. it tell me syntax on line 4 but which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericde
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

mail not working with company id

Hi, I have a fresh new installation of red hat linux. I am trying to send an email from the "mail" utility from inside my Linux box to my company id "xxx@company.com". We are using microsoft exchange server online version to host our company's email. I am able to send emails to gmail and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priya33184
2 Replies

8. BSD

mail command is not working

Hi, Mail command is not working. mail -s "hello" abc@google.com < samplefile I am new to BSD.what do i need to do? Please help. Thnaks, Gita. Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gita
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uuencode for mail attachments not working

Hi, I'm trying to send mail with attachments using uuencode, but it doesn't work. Command (also tried with mailx): uuencode testfile testfile | mail emailadress The email I get doesn't have an attachment, and has this in the message body: begin 664 testfile %=&5S=`H` ` end ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Mail not working

Hello All, we have got a new linux server where the mailx/sendmail/uuencode doesn't seem to be working. The system admin guys have told me that they have configured the mail on port 25, the servers are in very secured zone which dont have internet connection hence i'm not able to understand... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mahesh_RPM
1 Replies
smtpdcheck(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3						     smtpdcheck(1)

NAME
smtpdcheck - check SMTP servers SYNOPSIS
smtpdcheck [--stop {ip-addr|name}] [--timeout seconds] [prio:]server [[prio:]server] DESCRIPTION
smtpdcheck checks to see if SMTP servers are available. The intent is for use on secondary mail servers, which have no reason to accept mail when the primary server is available. The argument consists of a list of server names, each of which may optionally be prefixed by a numeric MX priority and a colon. (This is exactly the format for MX records returned by the avenger dns command.) smtpdcheck will attempt to connect to each server in succession. If one of the servers specified on the command line is available, smtpdcheck will print its name to standard output and exit with status 1. If smtpdcheck cannot connect to any of the servers, it will exit with status 0. If a system error occurs, smtpdcheck will exit with status 2. OPTIONS --stop {ip-addr|name} Tells smtpdcheck to stop before checking a server with IP address ip-addr or hostname name. If such a host is encountered in the list of servers and prio is specified, then smtpdcheck will consider it acceptable for other servers with the same priority to be available, even if those servers were first in the list. In other words, given the following arguments: smtpdcheck --stop s2.domain.com 10:s1.domain.com 10:s2.domain.com 20:s3.domain.com This command will always succeed, regardless of whether "s1.domain.com" is up, because "s2.domain.com" has the same priority. On the other hand, the following command will fail and output "s1.domain.com" if "s1.domain.com" is up: smtpdcheck --stop s2.domain.com 10:s1.domain.com 20:s2.domain.com 30:s3.domain.com If a gethostbyname lookup for the argument name fails, smtpdcheck will exit immediately with status 2. --timeout {seconds] By default, smtpdcheck spends 10 seconds probing each server. This includes the time to do a DNS lookup, to establish a TCP connection to port 25 of the server, and to read the "220" SMTP code from the server's SMTP greeting message. To use a different value, specify it with the --timeout option. The value 0 disables the timeout completely, which is dangerous since smtpdcheck might then end up waiting forever to read the "220" string. EXAMPLES
To refuse to relay mail at a secondary MX server when the primary server is not down, you might place the following in /etc/avenger/secondary (assuming MxLocalRcpt is 1): dns RECIP_MXES mx "$RECIPIENT_HOST" setvars server=`smtpdcheck --stop $MYIP $RECIP_MXES` test -n "$server" && defer "Please use server $server" SEE ALSO
avenger(1) dbutil(1) asmtpd.conf(5), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
smtpdcheck could achieve much lower latency by probing all the servers simultaneously. It should also include some kind of caching, to avoid repeatedly trying to contact an unavailable server. Finally, hosts with multiple IP addresses could be handled more cleanly, though what smtpdcheck does should probably work in most cases. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 smtpdcheck(1)