Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD Mail not working and probably never has Post 302510604 by DanJSC on Monday 4th of April 2011 12:20:43 PM
Old 04-04-2011
Mail not working and probably never has

Hi hopefully I am in the right forum

I am trying to get mail working on a 15 year old server which has probably never been configured to work before

The server is on a network with TCP installed and the different servers on this network can all see each other with ping and rsh

when I try this
Code:
# mailx -s "testzzz" "root@sys1"
test testz
EOT
# UX:mail: ERROR: Can't send to !cro_isp1!root (root@sys1)
UX:mail: ERROR: Return to root

the email error returned is this
Code:
From postmaster Fri Mar 25 10:16 GMT 2011
To: root@sys2
Date: Fri Mar 25 10:16:12 GMT 2011
Original-Date:  Fri Mar 25 10:16 GMT 2011
Original-Subject: testzzz
Not-Delivered-To: due to 11  Transfer Failure
     ORIGINAL MESSAGE ATTACHED
     (mail: Error # 22 'Surrogate command failed', rc = 11)
En-Route-To: !sys1!root
     ======= Surrogate command =======
     :/usr/bin/uux -aroot - sys1!rmail (root)
     ==== Start of stdout ===
     ==== Start of stderr ===
     :bad system name: sys1
     :uux failed ( 11 )
En-Route-To: !sys1!root
Content-Length: 122

If I do dthe same command from the local system but include the system name
Code:
mailx -s "testzzz" "tst@sys2"
tteesstt zz1017
EOT

This works

I am pretty sure mail to other systems has never worked on these boxes but would like to get it workling to set up some mail alerts

I have also tried sendmail but it does not seem to recognise that I am requesting mail to be sent to a different server and just sends it to the same user on the local server

There is not etc aliases file on these systems but the remote sytem is in the hosts file
This is the unix system detail if it helps
Code:
Welcome to the NCR MP-RAS SVR4 UNIX System
UNIX System V Release 4.0 
uname -a
sys2 sys2 4.0 3.0 3487/3488 Pentium III(TM)-ISA/PCI

Thanks in advance for any help

Dan

Last edited by Scott; 04-04-2011 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail services not working

Hello, all. We currently have three UNIX boxes run Reliant Unix, a System V Release 4 variant. Mail can't be sent out of one of the boxes to anywhere outside the box. For a client we use the mail command. I am not sure how to determine the message transfer daemon that is running. When... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: petrosi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail command not working

hi all I am not able to send mail from unix box to my mail id. do i need to do any settings for that? when i issue this command:- mail -s "letter" <abc.txt the $ pompt goes away and the unix is on wait state. what should I do? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent -Please help me 'mail' option not working

Hi , I have already posted a post regarding this, but i didn't get my problem solve, so some body help me as it was urgent for me, my mail option is not working, when i send a mail, it is strucking in /var/spool/mqueue folder. and i am getting struck there itself, i see below two files are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mars_girish9
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail command not working

Hi I am trying to runmail command to send some text to my email id. But its getting hanged up. Not sure what is the problem. Please help. mail -s "testing" abc@somearess.com Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
1 Replies

5. AIX

Why is mail not working?

I've configured sendmail.cf file and sent a test. Failed. /var/adm/messages log file showed "Unknown Domain" error. Added my domain to the sendmail.cf file and error went away but I still don't receive messages. And now there's no errors in the log file to point to another issue. mailx -s "This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail function - script not working

#!/bin/bash { m() $mail='("$someemail@gmail.com ", Cc:"$me" -t, Subject:"$emailmyself" -s, $someinputfile")' } what I am trying to do is create a function have it load when type the letter "m" so all have to do type an address after it send email. it tell me syntax on line 4 but which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericde
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

mail not working with company id

Hi, I have a fresh new installation of red hat linux. I am trying to send an email from the "mail" utility from inside my Linux box to my company id "xxx@company.com". We are using microsoft exchange server online version to host our company's email. I am able to send emails to gmail and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priya33184
2 Replies

8. BSD

mail command is not working

Hi, Mail command is not working. mail -s "hello" abc@google.com < samplefile I am new to BSD.what do i need to do? Please help. Thnaks, Gita. Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gita
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uuencode for mail attachments not working

Hi, I'm trying to send mail with attachments using uuencode, but it doesn't work. Command (also tried with mailx): uuencode testfile testfile | mail emailadress The email I get doesn't have an attachment, and has this in the message body: begin 664 testfile %=&5S=`H` ` end ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Mail not working

Hello All, we have got a new linux server where the mailx/sendmail/uuencode doesn't seem to be working. The system admin guys have told me that they have configured the mail on port 25, the servers are in very secured zone which dont have internet connection hence i'm not able to understand... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mahesh_RPM
1 Replies
AUSCOPE(1)						      General Commands Manual							AUSCOPE(1)

NAME
auscope - Network Audio System Protocol Filter SYNOPSIS
auscope [ option ] ... DESCRIPTION
auscope is an audio protocol filter that can be used to view the network packets being sent between an audio application and an audio server. auscope is written in Perl, so you must have Perl installed on your machine in order to run auscope. If your Perl executable is not installed as /usr/local/bin/perl, you should modify the first line of the auscope script to reflect the Perl executable's location. Or, you can invoke auscope as perl auscope [ option ] ... assuming the Perl executable is in your path. To operate, auscope must know the port on which it should listen for audio clients, the name of the desktop machine on which the audio server is running and the port to use to connect to the audio server. Both the output port (server) and input port (client) are automati- cally biased by 8000. The output port defaults to 0 and the input port defaults to 1. ARGUMENTS
-i<input-port> Specify the port that auscope will use to take requests from clients. -o<output-port> Determines the port that auscope will use to connect to the audio server. -h<audio server name> Determines the desktop machine name that auscope will use to find the audio server. -v<print-level> Determines the level of printing which auscope will provide. The print-level can be 0 or 1. The larger numbers provide greater output detail. EXAMPLES
In the following example, mcxterm is the name of the desktop machine running the audio server, which is connected to the TCP/IP network host tcphost. auscope uses the desktop machine with the -h command line option, will listen for client requests on port 8001 and connect to the audio server on port 8000. Ports (file descriptors) on the network host are used to read and write the audio protocol. The audio client auplay will connect to the audio server via the TCP/IP network host tcphost and port 8001: auscope -i1 -o0 -hmcxterm auplay -audio tcp/tcphost:8001 dial.snd In the following example, the auscope verbosity is increased to 1, and the audio client autool will connect to the audio server via the network host tcphost, while displaying its graphical interface on another server labmcx: auscope -i1 -o0 -hmcxterm -v1 autool -audio tcp/tcphost:8001 -display labmcx:0.0 SEE ALSO
nas(1), perl(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1994 Network Computing Devices, Inc. AUTHOR
Greg Renda, Network Computing Devices, Inc. 1.9.3 AUSCOPE(1)