Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Passing an instance of struct to functions in other src files Post 302510141 by Corona688 on Friday 1st of April 2011 04:11:41 PM
Old 04-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMHmedchem
Thanks again for your patient and thoughtful replies, they are a huge help.

I have a few instances where I have function definitions in header files. These are usually functions that are only included when specific things have been defined, #ifdef, etc. I guess it would be better to have the functions definitions in their own object and implement the abstraction in the make file by linking the additional objects under the specified conditions.
Depends what they are. If they're very short thing you might be able to make them either macros or inline functions, both of which are safe to put in headers.
Quote:
So for global variables, you declare those in a header file (as extern), and then include the .h in only one src file?
Sorry if that was unclear. You include the header in both the thing that declares it, and anything that uses it.
Quote:
Then you have to re-declare and initialize the var in the same src file where the header is included ?
It's a safety-check to make sure you're creating the same kind of variable your header says you are. C/C++ are, technically, low-level languages, so creating variables and function ends up being done in assembly language, and assembly language is all about memory and symbols.

You don't HAVE to include the header but it's a great idea to do so. I had to debug a library where there was an "internal" headerfile which was only used by the library and an "external" headerfile which was only used by things using the library. Very odd way to do things, especially considering the amount of extra work it took to do so.

One of the functions used a 'long int' parameter, but the external header said it was a 'uint32_t' -- a guaranteed 32-bit integer. On 32-bit machines a long is 32-bit, but on a 64-bit architecture, it's not! This caused extremely bizzare errors in 64-bit architectures, returning a nonsensical errorcode even when the function actually succeeded. Not even a debugger could tell what was going wrong. If they'd just included the external header, the compiler would have told them "your function isn't what your header says it is!" and refuse to go.
Quote:
That is so different from Fortran when you have to include global (common) variables in every src file where they are used, and then if you re-declared it, you would get a compiler bonk.
It's because of how C/C++ lets you compile each file completely separately. You can declare that a variable or function exists anywhere, and if it's not available at compile-time, it'll be able to find it when the objects are all linked together. But you only should declare what a variable or function is, once.
Quote:
I am still a bit confused about the function prototypes. Lets say we are not using extern "C", can I declare the function prototype (with no code block) in one and only one header file, or do I need to include the header file in every src file that will be using the function.
Include it everywhere, yes. It never implicitly includes anything. Each .c/.cpp file is compiled completely separately, one C file doesn't give a darn if you included so and so header in a file you compiled 900 microseconds ago.

---------- Post updated at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:52 PM ----------

Another way to put it would be that C or C++ requires you to explicitly declare everything, be it a library function, internal variable, external variable, or what have you. (C++ is stricter about this than C. C is willing to assume external functions exist if you try to use them, which is sometimes a problem.) It's very simple, very straightforward, and extremely simpleminded -- imagine a language where you're supposed to manually define all your library functions before you're allowed to use them! That's how C works. It does this because each C file is its own separate little universe when compiled, completely blind to any help from other source files until the final linking step.

Because doing that by hand is silly they put all of that mess into header files. But header files have no special behavior. Copy/pasting the raw contents of a header file into your source code would have the same effect as including it. So the rules remain the same: Explicitly declare the existence of every symbol you want to import into your source code. And just to be fair, explicitly declare the existence of every symbol you want to export too. "This symbol exists and I'm using it", or, "This symbol exists and I'm creating it".

Last edited by Corona688; 04-01-2011 at 05:18 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing command line parameters to functions - sh

All, I have a sh script of the following tune: function a () { #functionality.. } function b () { #functionnlity.. } function check () { # this function checks for env and if all fine call build } function usage () { #sh usage details } function build () { #calls either a or b or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arrays between functions

Hi, I have a function that hold 3 arrayies. I need to pass them to another function as an input, for further use Could you please explain how to do that. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing socket struct between kernel threads - module programming

I write kernel module with kernel threads using linux/kthread.h on 2.6.* kernel I tried to passing data between two kernel threads with data argument of kthread_run( fun, data , NAME ); but this is not work I dont know why. I tried many possibility and nothing works. So I thought that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcintom
0 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

C++ struct pointers & functions

Hi All, My latest assignment (practice not coursework!) is to write prototype interactive exam/test console application. I've used structs to store the question information (not sure if this was the best way to do it?) and I have the following code that outputs each question and it's possible... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing struct through unix pipe -solved

EDIT: Nevermind, called a friend who is good at this stuff and he figured it out :D Hi all, So I'm trying to teach myself to write programs for unix in c. I am currently creating a program, and I need to pass a struct through a pipe, but I can't figure out how. The struct I want to pass... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: twnsfn34
0 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Passing pointers to struct

Hi, i'm trying to copy a struct into a binary file using the unix instruction write, so i declare and fill the struct "superbloque" in one function "initSB" and then i pass the pointer to another function called bwrite (for block write) which calls write. The problem is that i call the function... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius3
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable to child instance of make

hi, I am trying to export a variable from the parent makefile to a child instance of my makefile within the same directory. the relevant code in my parent makefile is: libvar := $(notdir $(basename ../src/file1)) export libvar .PHONY: library library: make -f makechild libvar=file1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bacpp
0 Replies

8. Programming

Using pointers to struct members as args to functions

In a well-known book on the C language, there is an example of an efficient method for using a struct member as an argument to a function. (I'm a C noob, but I believe the correct terminology might be: use call-by-reference instead of call-by-value.) The function is printf. Anyway, here's a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python passing multiple parameters to functions

Hi, I am a beginner in python programming. In my python script have a main function which calls several other functions. The main function gets its input by reading lines from a input text file. I call the main function for every line in input text file through a loop. def main(line): var1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh While Loop - passing variables to functions

I'm reading a text file using a while loop but when I call a function from within this loop it exits that same iteration … even though there are many more lines in the file to be read. I thought it was something to do with the IFS setting but it appears that a function call (when run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
3 Replies