Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Which cut command is more efficient? Post 302508647 by shamrock on Monday 28th of March 2011 03:55:23 PM
Old 03-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Because it usually doesn't need to care about line boundaries. Stopping in the middle of a line won't make it "binary". (though cat without parameters ought to be binary-safe.) What blocks it does I/O in won't change the content of said I/O, a line too long for the block will just take a couple blocks to finish.
You are right...I was thinking about reading the file into a struct whose padding may get junk chars being output...but I was wrong. However here is a link to a recent version of cat and it does process cmd. line with and without flags differently.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut command

how do you show just the used disk space. using the cut and df command?? or does anyone have any other suggestions on how to do it a better way? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie22
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command

Hi, I want to cut from a particular position to a particular position and retain the rest. I tried this cut -c31-51 file1.txt > file2.txt But The characters from the position 31 to 51 were only present in file2.txt. Is there a way to reverse this i.e to retain the rest except from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with cut command

Gurus, I need help with the cut command : I have a file with garbage charaters at the beginning of each record; but these characters are not of the same length; First record has 3 garbage chars to be removed; rest have 2; If the length was consistent across all the records, I could have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tru_tell
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command

hi, i have a file abc,"an,ab",cde,efg abc,anab,cde,efg and need to cut the second field so the output should be abc,cde,efg and i have used cut -d',' -f1-1,3- but its giving me abc,ab",cde,efg abc,cde,efg (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining awk command to make it more efficient

VARIABLE="jhovan 5259 5241 0 20:11 ? 00:00:00 /proc/self/exe --type=gpu-process --channel=5182.0.1597089149 --supports-dual-gpus=false --gpu-driver-bug-workarounds=2,45,57 --disable-accelerated-video-decode --gpu-vendor-id=0x80ee --gpu-device-id=0xbeef --gpu-driver-vendor... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient way to combine command

im currently running the following command to grab all arguments in front of a script, directly from the process table. # cat /tmp/allmyprocs ubuntu 9933 27793 0 03:29 pts/0 00:00:00 /bin/sh ./prying.sh ubuntu 9941 9933 0 03:29 pts/0 00:00:00 sh ubuntu 9952 9941 0 03:29... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file]... cut -c list [file]... cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file]... DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like TAB (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indi- cate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.11 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)