Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to include filename with variations at the beginning of the file Post 302507993 by ctsgnb on Friday 25th of March 2011 11:01:53 AM
Old 03-25-2011
Forget the rename command, use mv

Not that using mv will make you loose the inode of the target file you can alternately do :

Code:
for i in *.html
do
     echo "${i%.*}" >tmpfile
     cat "$i" >>tmpfile
     cat tmpfile >>"$i"
     rm tmpfile
done

---------- Post updated at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:54 PM ----------

For education purpose :

Code:
# a=toto.AnyThing.html
# echo $a
toto.AnyThing.html
# echo "${a%.*}"
toto.AnyThing
# echo "${a%%.*}"
toto

also read this

Last edited by ctsgnb; 03-25-2011 at 12:07 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to include header file in b-sh script

I'm new in this. In C/C++, you define variables in one header file & then simply include it in any files where those variables are referenced. I tried to include a header named DefineVars- which initializes all the globals- but when I add the line "DefineGlobals" at the begining of another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluemoon1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the path of a file when it is passed as ....filename(parameter) to script

hi unix guru's..................:confused: question is posted in the #3 permalink shown below. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to include field in the output filename of awk

Im using awk and I want the output filename to contain the first field of the input file. Ex. 1 dddd wwwww 1 eeeee wwww 1 wwww eerrrr 2 eeee eeeeee I want the output files to be xxx1 and xxx2 Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Option in sql script to include column headers when spooling file to .csv format

Can anyone help me how to include COLUMN HEADER when spooling file to .CSV format through SQL statement. Thanks, Akbar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s1a2m3
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename from splitting files to have the same filename of the original file with counter value

Hi all, I have a list of xml file. I need to split the files to a different files when see the <ko> tag. The list of filename are B20090908.1100-20090908.1200_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1200-20090908.1300_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1300-20090908.1400_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to insert variable file into another, bit like C's #include

Hi, I want to insert one file into another like this: file 1: 1 2 3 <!-- #include file="file2" --> 4 5 <!-- #include file="file3" --> 6 with the complete output going to another file. Have seen some solutions to similar problems using sed, but this problem is different because it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvq
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command to include files beginning with "." (like .htaccess)

Hi, how can I get the mv command to include files beginning with . (such as .htaccess)? Right now when I mv a directory the .htaccess file is missing and I need to do this on a lot of directories, so there's a lot of wordpress permalinks that don't work anymore because the .htaccess file wasn't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
5 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Variations on a theme...

Well you lot seriously amaze me. There was a thread a few hours ago, (on the date stamp shown in this upload), that generated loads of solutions to a fairly simple problem:- https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/235829-how-print-particular-character-n-number-times-line.html As a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Appending beginning of filename to end

Hi Guys, I have serveral directories like this: (2013) blablabla(blabla) - blabla (blabla) or (1997) blablabla(blabla) - blabla (blabla) and have to rename them to something like that: blablabla(blabla) - blabla (blabla) (2013) and blablabla(blabla) - blabla (blabla) (1997) Easy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nateshift
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Add part of pathname/subfolder name to beginning of filename

Hello everyone, I need some help renaming files. I have a directory with a bunch of subfolders in it like so with DWI being the working directory and the 3 levels after it being subdirectories home/user/Documents/DWI/111180-100/3t_2016-01-07_21-42/003_DTI_siemens_TClessdistort/dtifit_FA.nii.gz... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: azurite
8 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)